Do you think LV resale is affected by new Micro chip authentication

I ag
I agree with PP that outside TPF, most people don't even check date codes. And I don't think it will be long before these chips are hacked and are found in fake bags or black-market scanners are out there, so I don't think it will have much effect.

I guess I'm in the minority in that I am not a fan of LV canvas bags . I don't mind the prints in SLGs, but for bags, they are too loud for me. I do think LVs leather bags are gaining in popularity vs. years ago (and their resale value seems to have increased as well). Probably largely due to LVs marketing push, but also I think many LV lovers are looking for some variety from the brand. How many DA, DE and Mono bags can you have before they all sort of look the same?

Same, I’m not really into the canvas. My only canvas bag is my rainy day bag, the speedy b in DE

And the 'moving away from canvas and focus on leather' effort is a bit ridiculous.
I thought that there will be more subtle Épi or Taurillon pieces, since the canvas prints are 'cheap' and loud. And then what they do is embossing that same Monogram into leather, in even bigger sizes and even stronger colour-contrast. I know that many people love these giant and colourful Empreinte bags, but they feel less sophisticated than canvas pieces.

I wonder if the scan will tell you if the bag has been purchased and returned? Or they would even tell you that in store? That would actually cut into their sales.

And the 'moving away from canvas and focus on leather' effort is a bit ridiculous.
I thought that there will be more subtle Épi or Taurillon pieces, since the canvas prints are 'cheap' and loud. And then what they do is embossing that same Monogram into leather, in even bigger sizes and even stronger colour-contrast. I know that many people love these giant and colourful Empreinte bags, but they feel less sophisticated than canvas pieces.

Agree with you. Some of the giant LV logo bags are louder than the monogram. I also, was expecting variety, especially with the Alma. Personally I find the Alma BB too juvenile for my taste (even if I am carrying only a few things nowadays) and was very disappointed when the most recent colored almas (some referred to as skittles; not sure what the name is) were released only on BB.

Agree with you. Some of the giant LV logo bags are louder than the monogram. I also, was expecting variety, especially with the Alma. Personally I find the Alma BB too juvenile for my taste (even if I am carrying only a few things nowadays) and was very disappointed when the most recent colored almas (some referred to as skittles; not sure what the name is) were released only on BB.
They are slowly bleeding out the core collection. Or at least what used to be the core collection.
First the Alma GM was gone, then the MM, then now you only get a PM in Noir if you're lucky.

Personally I am attracted to the Date codes. There is something about knowing when a bag was around. I'd love to have a bag back from June 91 when I graduated high school. Or 1999 when I started my career. I don't find a scan code all that special. If I did buy on the resale market I am not going to take the bag in to be authenticated. And it sounds like the app isn't going to show the true history of the bag anyway. I'd rather have my little date codes and feel a connection to the history of the bag.

Last edited:
For what it's worth:

I'm one of those who LOVED many of the styles/designs that LV and CHANEL brought out in the late 90's to earl 2000's. Thing is, I was buying a house, having babies, dealing with a loved one with cancer, etc. so my priorities were not about buying those bags. I was able to snag a few (and I mean a few) but that was it. When the money to spend on wants instead of needs was now there, I found that both houses weren't making things I cared for. I don't know WHEN CHANEL became the land of flaps and only flaps but that ended my desire to purchase a bag from them. LV was now pushing a lot of leather items, the EPI line had disapeared and well, nothing appealed to me for the most part. That's when I started down the vintage path and am now able to own the designs I wanted back then. The date code (and other things) DO play a role. They will continue to do so because UNLESS I order from the LV site (which is the land of OOS) or happen to get to a store (another land of OOS items), I going to have to rely on someone selling it to me and a chip doesn't appeal to me. This limits my purchases to items made BEFORE the chip replaced the date code. I purchase what I purchase because I love the design, love that it holds up and works for my lifestyle. I don't give a patooty if LV (or anyone else) thinks I'm not worthy or is "keeping the line too common". I learned that the only opinion that matters is mine...unless I ask you for yours, of course. :smile:

For what it's worth:

I'm one of those who LOVED many of the styles/designs that LV and CHANEL brought out in the late 90's to earl 2000's. Thing is, I was buying a house, having babies, dealing with a loved one with cancer, etc. so my priorities were not about buying those bags. I was able to snag a few (and I mean a few) but that was it. When the money to spend on wants instead of needs was now there, I found that both houses weren't making things I cared for. I don't know WHEN CHANEL became the land of flaps and only flaps but that ended my desire to purchase a bag from them. LV was now pushing a lot of leather items, the EPI line had disapeared and well, nothing appealed to me for the most part. That's when I started down the vintage path and am now able to own the designs I wanted back then. The date code (and other things) DO play a role. They will continue to do so because UNLESS I order from the LV site (which is the land of OOS) or happen to get to a store (another land of OOS items), I going to have to rely on someone selling it to me and a chip doesn't appeal to me. This limits my purchases to items made BEFORE the chip replaced the date code. I purchase what I purchase because I love the design, love that it holds up and works for my lifestyle. I don't give a patooty if LV (or anyone else) thinks I'm not worthy or is "keeping the line too common". I learned that the only opinion that matters is mine...unless I ask you for yours, of course. :smile:
"The chip doesn't appeal to me". Well said! Even if I will continue to purchase from LV, yet this will make the older styles left in my closet even more appealing and cherished

Does anyone know if they are just block chain chipping bags or all of their merchandise? How are they going to put chips into silk ties and pocket squares and eyeglasses and solid metal jewelry? I think it's going to confuse customers if they start chipping some items and not others. Especially if they start chipping some item categories and not others, or chip some items in the same category and not others.

Is it also possible that in the future (10, 20 years or more) they'll stop repairing bags without the chips? That possibility could lead people to refuse to buy remaining unchipped stock and could affect the resale price of unchipped bags.

Those items aren't date coded presently.

That's a good point about the block chain tech replacing date codes on items.

I am confused if LV is just replacing bag date codes or extending the tech to other categories. I can't imagine LV caring less about counterfeit fine jewelry, for example, when non-LVMH competitor Cartier plans to use the same Aura tech.

I am confused if LV is just replacing bag date codes or extending the tech to other categories. I can't imagine LV caring less about counterfeit fine jewelry, for example, when non-LVMH competitor Cartier plans to use the same Aura tech.

? I think it's going to confuse customers if they start chipping some items and not others. Especially if they start chipping some item categories and not others, or chip some items in the same category and not others.

Given that LV has long treated its canvas/leather goods differently with respect to coding, hence differentiating its categories, why would a change to chipping create confusion? LV's systems of production and product management are mostly opaque to consumers.

I think resale is impacted by numerous factors, beyond whether a code is visible or not.

Last edited: