Do you think LV resale is affected by new Micro chip authentication

CrazyCool01

May 17, 2015
Hello!

if you know LV has removed date code tab on their items and instead are using a micro chip which can be scanned by inhouse scanners and no public app available at the moment.

Do you think resale will be affected given the buyer will no longer be able to identify fakes without actually taking the item to store!?

i understand that datecode was never the only way to authenticate! But i feel nervous to buy preloved! Am i the only one to feel this way !?

Hello!

if you know LV has removed date code tab on their items and instead are using a micro chip which can be scanned by inhouse scanners and no public app available at the moment.

Do you think resale will be affected given the buyer will no longer be able to identify fakes without actually taking the item to store!?

i understand that datecode was never the only way to authenticate! But i feel nervous to buy preloved! Am i the only one to feel this way !?

Years of looking at dozens of LV styles and bags that have come and gone on to be vintage have made me pretty confident in identifying a fake from an authentic. I personally love the traditional date code, as it's a physical, tangible "mark" which reminds me via a quick glance of how old or what year I acquired the item. From now on, this will no longer exist, so I guess I will have to go thru stacks of receipts to remind me when my newer things became part of my collection. This date code was also a way I felt reassured when shopping on resale sites like FP. To think that if I buy a pre-loved item, then take it to the store to confirm it's authenticity...it isn't exactly convenient... it will be viewed as a nuisance, as I'm sure the sales associates won't be thrilled to be doing this !! They want to sell you the shiny new, $$$$ stuff, not do you a favor to reinforce your shopping habits on a reseller's secondary site !!!

First, date codes tell the age only, and provide little to no proof of authentictiy. The date code lists on the internet are fan made, not official at all, and the counterfeit makers have access to them, so they can fake you a date code whenever they please. Trusting the code like this would be self-deceiving.
Louis Vuitton will not scan second-hand products. Why would they? They did not provide authentication services before, they won't in the future either. If you buy from them, the associates would most probably scan your item for you as a gesture, but that's all. They are not turning into a used bag checking kiosk overnight.
Yes, it will have an effect on the second-hand market, but that was their intention. The chips are not there for checking authenticity. They could already check that quite easily. It speeds up the service process, but that is not the main goal. They want us to buy directly from them, and enforce the feeling that only they provide true authenticity. Neither people getting bored of their products after a year, not the people who buy only to resell immediately are helping their brand image. They want you to keep their stuff forever. Quite understandable. I also want to buy Vuitton at a boutique as intended, and not from a faceless instagram reseller with a paypal link. That is not luxury.
As @travelbliss said, if you spent years following the brand and enjoyed many of their products, you will develop a sense to quickly and surely know if a product is authentic. You'll just feel it. People who already have that knowledge won't be affected. All other casual LV buyers will have trust issues in the following months. But believe me, after a few years, the market will be flooded with no-code items, and it will be a norm on the second-hand market too.

First, date codes tell the age only, and provide little to no proof of authentictiy. The date code lists on the internet are fan made, not official at all, and the counterfeit makers have access to them, so they can fake you a date code whenever they please. Trusting the code like this would be self-deceiving.
Louis Vuitton will not scan second-hand products. Why would they? They did not provide authentication services before, they won't in the future either. If you buy from them, the associates would most probably scan your item for you as a gesture, but that's all. They are not turning into a used bag checking kiosk overnight.
Yes, it will have an effect on the second-hand market, but that was their intention. The chips are not there for checking authenticity. They could already check that quite easily. It speeds up the service process, but that is not the main goal. They want us to buy directly from them, and enforce the feeling that only they provide true authenticity. Neither people getting bored of their products after a year, not the people who buy only to resell immediately are helping their brand image. They want you to keep their stuff forever. Quite understandable. I also want to buy Vuitton at a boutique as intended, and not from a faceless instagram reseller with a paypal link. That is not luxury.
As @travelbliss said, if you spent years following the brand and enjoyed many of their products, you will develop a sense to quickly and surely know if a product is authentic. You'll just feel it. People who already have that knowledge won't be affected. All other casual LV buyers will have trust issues in the following months. But believe me, after a few years, the market will be flooded with no-code items, and it will be a norm on the second-hand market too.

This is my thought exact, so LV wants us to buy from them instead and not rely on Resellers/pre loved.

but what i do not understand is Preloved/resale market is a main factor in pushing sales/creating hype. Many buy only because they have the confidence in selling and making some money back later on

Reactions: baghagg
Preloved/resale market is a main factor in pushing sales/creating hype. Many buy only because they have the confidence in selling and making some money back later on

Not so much. Most LV customers are not resellers, or focused on minutiae like the date code. Some couldn't tell you the model of their bag a year after they bought it. Outside the TPF and YouTube bubble are lots of regular consumers who buy the thing and live their lives.

Last edited:
Not so much. Most LV customers are not resellers, or focused on minutiae like the date code. Some couldn't tell you the model of their bag a year after they bought it. Outside the TPF and YouTube bubble are lots of regular consumers who buy the thing and live their lives.
This!

Reactions: CC4Ever
This is my thought exact, so LV wants us to buy from them instead and not rely on Resellers/pre loved.

but what i do not understand is Preloved/resale market is a main factor in pushing sales/creating hype. Many buy only because they have the confidence in selling and making some money back later on
@jellyv is totally right. There is a very small minority who are crazy about new drops and details, but most luxury buyers are not brand enthusiasts. There are a few lux hype-beasts of course, and some resellers are targeting them, but that is not the majority. So Vuitton doesn't want to be Supreme and make hype through the scarcity generated by resellers. They to be more like Hermès, they want you to have a good relationship at your local boutique, and then you can get literally anything. No games, no digging used stuff, no waiting for an insta reseller.

i doubt Lv cares much about those customers. Luxury brands care more about the customers who don’t need to sell their collection, who buy for fashion and don’t worry about money to that extent. The lower tiered customers hurt LVs brand a lot in the past and they only just recently recovered

i doubt Lv cares much about those customers. Luxury brands care more about the customers who don’t need to sell their collection, who buy for fashion and don’t worry about money to that extent. The lower tiered customers hurt LVs brand a lot in the past and they only just recently recovered
Money is what matters. IMO they'll take it from whoever is willing to give it. If they're smart they'll cater to ALL customers. For a company that really doesn't want "lower tiered" customers, they sure do make a lot of entry level bags and such that cater to that element, don't they?
LV isn't Hermes or Chanel luxury. On rare occasions I'll see a Chanel. Hermes? Not around here, But every soccer mom I see has her neverfull/speedy and Return to Tiffany bracelet or necklace. Not dissing on them----everyone should carry what they like and can afford.

If LVMH is truly going to be more sustainable, they will have to look at how to increase the life cycle of their products, including likely having a greater focus on after-sale services, and not just constantly selling new and trendy products. The micro chip authentication could obviously play a role in supporting that development.

I don’t even believe that LV wants to be exactly in the same category as Hermes or Chanel, that wouldn’t bring them as much money as they get now. LV is propably the most known luxury brand worldwide, and if they would drop off all the bags under the 2000 euros category (for example), they would just lose money. LV leather pieces aren’t that popular after all, and they may never be. LV is known for their canvas.

I’m in a minority here, but I don’t usually check the date codes, so this change doesn’t bother me. It may affect the resale market, but many people do want to sell their bags and buy new ones, so it’s not going to stop because of this.:smile:

I agree with PP that outside TPF, most people don't even check date codes. And I don't think it will be long before these chips are hacked and are found in fake bags or black-market scanners are out there, so I don't think it will have much effect.

I guess I'm in the minority in that I am not a fan of LV canvas bags . I don't mind the prints in SLGs, but for bags, they are too loud for me. I do think LVs leather bags are gaining in popularity vs. years ago (and their resale value seems to have increased as well). Probably largely due to LVs marketing push, but also I think many LV lovers are looking for some variety from the brand. How many DA, DE and Mono bags can you have before they all sort of look the same?

Money is what matters. IMO they'll take it from whoever is willing to give it. If they're smart they'll cater to ALL customers. For a company that really doesn't want "lower tiered" customers, they sure do make a lot of entry level bags and such that cater to that element, don't they?
LV isn't Hermes or Chanel luxury. On rare occasions I'll see a Chanel. Hermes? Not around here, But every soccer mom I see has her neverfull/speedy and Return to Tiffany bracelet or necklace. Not dissing on them----everyone should carry what they like and can afford.

hmmm idk. It’s not smart for a luxury house to take money from anywhere. Luxury brands specifically build up and cultivate who they want their customers to be. They don’t want everyone to be able to be a customer. Same with Chanel and Hermes, they actually DONT want anyone’s money. Taking money from anyone hurts the brand. Like I said, it’s already hurt LV in the past so they had to slow the canvas offerings and pump up leather so that less ppl could get the entry level canvas pieces.

I agree that a lot of people have those pieces and it has hurt those brands. Tiffany’s seen as too commercial and LV seen as too common. LV took a major hit in the 2000s-2010 after the MJ era because of those soccer moms. But the issue is you can only charge so much for canvas. That’s why they’ve done things to raise the price like at the pouch,change the speedy leather tabs etc. they don’t want those ppl buying their bags so do what they can money wise to deter them as well as limiting their canvas pieces in general. If you’re someone who has to save up to buy LV once a year, that’s just not the customer LV cares about and they can live without them