Do you think it's bad?

Perja

Well & truly Plumed
O.G.
Feb 28, 2006
My mom died last year and she left a ton of clothing, bags, jewellery, misc. accesories...

While I don't want to ever sell the jewellery and most of the clothing (to the point where I'm dieting to fit into them), I've considered selling some of the bags because I have the same ones...

Do you think it is bad that I'm considering selling anything that was hers? :cry:

Hi Perja, firstly sorry to hear that your mother passed away. It must have been a very difficult time for you and your family.

I don't think there's anything wrong with selling some of your mother's stuff, if it is not something you would use or don't hold a particular attachment to, then why not? If you don't need the money for anything how about using it to buy a special piece of jewellery that you can pass onto your children.

Perja, sorry about your mum.

I dont think theres anything wrong with it, im sure your mum would of agreed too. It would be impossible to keep everything of hers. Why dont you wear her bags that are the same as yours, and sell your own! That way you have each bag, keep your mums bags and get a little bit of money.

Perja I know exactly how you feel. My best friend's mom died 21 years ago and she still has her clothes and many possessions. It was hard for her to part w/ the things she had to. I think Cal has a beautiful idea, to sell some things and buy something special as a keepsake of your mom.

Hi, Perja. I just lost my mom this fall, and am going through the same thing. I've either kept or offered to other family members everything I knew my mom really cared about. The other items have gone to a shelter or are being sold. In fact, I have three items on ebay now. It's always difficult, but I don't really think our moms intended that we just hang on to every possession they ever had.

You loved your mother. This is just "stuff". Keep what you like or what reminds you of her, and let go of the rest with a clean conscience.

Perja - I'm sorry for your loss. I agree with the other posters that you should keep only what you think is necessary and most remind you of her. You said that there are repeats, so perhaps you can sell those, or pass them along to someone else in your family that would appreciate them.

So sorry to hear about your mother. It's hard to part with things which belonged to a loved one. Especially a parent. But if you want to sell them, then sell them. I'm sure your mother would agree with whatever you do with them. They are yours now. And any you sell would make the buyer happy to have them, and they would be used again.

If there is no one fighting over items, you should sell what you don't wish to keep. I hope all goes well for you.

Honey, no...you can't keep everything. I say sell all of the bags and save all of the money from the bags and buy something special with that money that will remind you of her. (possibly a bag you have had your eye on)
I went through this when my grandmother passed away.
Also, give it a bit of time and it might make it easier.

Pejra, Like you my mum died in October and it took me a while to decide what to do with everything, you feel like you are betraying them in a funny way, and also you dont want to let go of something that reminds you of them, My worst fear was someone else using/ wearing them!?
But in the end, when the time is righ you realise that you can never erase your memories and thats what you have to comfort yourself.

Keep the things that you want to but, its not a bad thing getting rid of the things you dont, I always think, my mum would have had a huge clear out anyway and got rid of them herself!

Im another who lost their sweet Mom. For me I found it easier to let the items go. And keep what was dear to my heart. Its feels, like its one more step to closure. It worked so well when I lost my Dad just a few months ago, I wasted no time on his items.Fortunately we were able to discuss this before he passed, his exact words were, "Always know your parents would never want to be a burden after our passing", and who needs old junk when we have so many priceless memories". I hope this could ease your mind a little. I love the others suggestions on using the money to purhcase a piece you can hold dear to your heart forever.

I'm SO sorry you lost your Mom {{{hugs}}}

I don't hink she'd want to you to keep stuff just becasue they were hers. You should choose a few sentimental pieces and sell the rest. I agree, buy soemthing you've longed for in her memory.

First and foremost I am truly sorry for your loss. I do not think it is necessary for you to keep every single thing your mom ever owned. IMO all you need to do is keep a few things for sentimental value. If there are other family members that would like something of hers to have as a keepsake that would be a kind gesture on your part. Otherwise I see nothing wrong with getting rid of some things.

Perja, when my mom died I sold what I could and donated the rest. I did however keep her Dooney AWL purse she carried everyday. I still have it in my closet in a bag with all of her stuff still in it. Everything from pennies to her sunglasses, to her hair brush, to her planner. I didn't have the heart to toss any of it, so I kept it for memories.