do you think i would regret getting a miss dior flap instead of a chanel 2.55?

LVoeletters

only the best
O.G.
Aug 13, 2011
Hey all,

I've always ALWAYS wanted a chanel; and what kicks me is when I was in high school, I could have afforded it! But I felt so guilty about buying it, I never did...

2.2k price increase later (and I'm only 22 so... double ouch!) I keep struggling trying to keep up with the chanel flap. I always thought I was going to get one for my 21st, but it just isn't going to happen. I keep telling myself maybe I'll get a used one eventually, or get the MJ flap until I can afford the chanel-- and I could wait a couple of years BUT whats killing me, driving me crazy is these insane price increases. I know I want a chanel, but recently I've come across the lady dior and the miss dior bags. Now I never wanted a dior since the gaucho saddle bags were the it bag! I never thought this year I could make enough for this bag and pay for school, and it turned out that the three LV purchases I made/am in the process of making would have brought my dreadfully close to a chanel flap-- (damier speedy 30 + bleu infini alma + westminster gm)... I do not regret my purchases, while the speedy I know realize I could have waited on (my first big LV bag purchase from this august oh how long ago it seems when i thought 800+ was so expensive for a bag!) I do not regret my new alma one bit... but Idk if I can stomach the thought of shelling out 4k for a bag that used to 1700 only a handful of years ago... So I was thinking about the Dior Miss Flap... it has a very cute lock... Do you think I should get that instead? its still not cheap by any means but I believe it is somewhere within the 2k realm... Do you think I should do it or pass? Do you think i'll regret it and only get more frustrated with chanel?

Thanks for listening to my ramble! And I apologize for any spelling errors or misuse of words, its 6am here, and I had to pull an all nighter in my lab!

the Dior Miss Flap is very, very close to the chanel flap and is a beautiful bag

the only questions for YOU are:
- do you like the STYLE of the bag..you're looking for a flap?
- if you get the Dior, will you still be thinking about the Chanel?
- is it about the style of the bag or the brand?

the Dior Miss Flap is very, very close to the chanel flap and is a beautiful bag

the only questions for YOU are:
- do you like the STYLE of the bag..you're looking for a flap?
- if you get the Dior, will you still be thinking about the Chanel?
- is it about the style of the bag or the brand?

I agree with OlgaMUA. the thing I have to ask is, do you think you will regret getting the Dior and still think about the Chanel? my advice would be to go and see the Miss Dior (there's also the New Lock too) and see if you're grabbed by it. Don't get it just because it's cheaper or because you feel it's second best. Personally, I know if I don't get it at the time, I still think about it years later (this is the case with the My Dior bag when it was launched in 2006), but I've never been a fan of the Chanel flap.

Go and see the Miss Dior and New Lock bags at a Dior boutique and if you like it, get it because you like it, not because you're settling for a less expensive bag! I'm not proud to say this despite concerns from OH and close friend who's as much into designer bags and Christian Louboutins as I am, but I'm the shopaholic :graucho::lol: so watching the price increase for the Panarea from £550 in March 2011 to the price I paid for it £710 (Dec 2011), it's quite a big jump in the space of 9 months, but I felt I should get it now before it gets too expensive for me...and paid for it with a credit card. I won't be able to pay the full amount all in one go and as far as I understand (I'll need to read the fine print again), if I repay the full amount each month, I get free interest for the first 15 months and that's what I'm expecting to pay (although I'm hoping it's first 15 months free interest as long as I pay at least min!), but I don't fancy paying maybe 1 year down the line when it may one day cost £1000+ and not have the colour I want

Go and see the Miss Dior and New Lock bags at a Dior boutique and if you like it, get it because you like it, not because you're settling for a less expensive bag! I'm not proud to say this despite concerns from OH and close friend who's as much into designer bags and Christian Louboutins as I am, but I'm the shopaholic :graucho::lol: so watching the price increase for the Panarea from £550 in March 2011 to the price I paid for it £710 (Dec 2011), it's quite a big jump in the space of 9 months, but I felt I should get it now before it gets too expensive for me...and paid for it with a credit card. I won't be able to pay the full amount all in one go and as far as I understand (I'll need to read the fine print again), if I repay the full amount each month, I get free interest for the first 15 months and that's what I'm expecting to pay (although I'm hoping it's first 15 months free interest as long as I pay at least min!), but I don't fancy paying maybe 1 year down the line when it may one day cost £1000+ and not have the colour I want

I agree with the above comments. Both of the bags are stellar and beautiful! You should try them out and see which one really speaks to you.

And I understand what you mean about the Chanel price increases. Over three years ago, I was looking at a classic flap bag for my mom, and the price was really high compared to other bags at the time (it was in the $2600(+) range if I remember correctly). I thought that I may be able to buy it later when I save more money and get a better job.

I did change my job, and get more money, but the Chanel is out of reach at over $4000 plus tax. I simply can't afford it.

Hey all,

I've always ALWAYS wanted a chanel; and what kicks me is when I was in high school, I could have afforded it! But I felt so guilty about buying it, I never did...

2.2k price increase later (and I'm only 22 so... double ouch!) I keep struggling trying to keep up with the chanel flap. I always thought I was going to get one for my 21st, but it just isn't going to happen. I keep telling myself maybe I'll get a used one eventually, or get the MJ flap until I can afford the chanel-- and I could wait a couple of years BUT whats killing me, driving me crazy is these insane price increases. I know I want a chanel, but recently I've come across the lady dior and the miss dior bags. Now I never wanted a dior since the gaucho saddle bags were the it bag! I never thought this year I could make enough for this bag and pay for school, and it turned out that the three LV purchases I made/am in the process of making would have brought my dreadfully close to a chanel flap-- (damier speedy 30 + bleu infini alma + westminster gm)... I do not regret my purchases, while the speedy I know realize I could have waited on (my first big LV bag purchase from this august oh how long ago it seems when i thought 800+ was so expensive for a bag!) I do not regret my new alma one bit... but Idk if I can stomach the thought of shelling out 4k for a bag that used to 1700 only a handful of years ago... So I was thinking about the Dior Miss Flap... it has a very cute lock... Do you think I should get that instead? its still not cheap by any means but I believe it is somewhere within the 2k realm... Do you think I should do it or pass? Do you think i'll regret it and only get more frustrated with chanel?

Thanks for listening to my ramble! And I apologize for any spelling errors or misuse of words, its 6am here, and I had to pull an all nighter in my lab!

Hello :smile:

I totally know where you are coming from cause I am totally in the same boat as you. I been in love with Chanel for the longest time but just couldnt shell out that much money back then even when Chanel's were much cheaper when in the $2K range. Now the prices are simply ridiculous. So i thought i'd never be able to own a flap bag but then I came across the Miss Dior which is also a lovely bag. I simply fell in love with it myself. Now i actually like it more than the Chanel flap because the Dior one looks more worth it and better quality. When I look at the Chanel, it really doesnt look like its worth $4K or more (but of course, its still Chanel). The only thing with the Dior is that you can't adjust the chain like the Chanel one so u can only choose between a short chain bag or long chan bag for the Dior. I personally like the longer chain so i will just get the longer chain miss dior. But you should go take a look at it and try it. Thats what i did and fell in love wiht it. Also, note a price increase may be coming soon also for Dior so might as well get it now and not regret it when the prices sky rocket again.

Hope that helps =)

It sounds to me like your #1 love is Chanel and you would "settle" for the next best thing with the Dior which happens to be an equally lovely alternate. Bottom line is, when spending $$$$'s will you still lust for the Chanel? Don't plunge! My advice is wait until the Chanel becomes affordable to you. One never knows what will come up! ;)

Vote for the DIOR!!!

The Miss Dior flap is a classic piece, from one of the best high-end fashion houses, plus very understated (unlike the classic Chanel flap with the CCs on it).

I rarely see the Dior flap being carried out and about. I mostly see the Chanel one. This makes Dior, IMO, more unique and exclusive.

However, if you cannot live without the Chanel flap (you refer to it a lot in your first post), then I suggest you start saving for it. There's no point on throwing 1500$ on a bag unless you ABSOLUTELY want it.

I would get the Chanel. If you have been thinking about it for years then you are just trying to satisfy yourself with something else. WON'T work!!!!! You will still lust after the Chanel and wish that you had just purchased it. If you can't afford a new Chanel check out getting a pre-loved bag. If you watch you can find some really good bags from resellers recommended by other TPF members. Yoogis Closet, Ann's Fabulous Finds just to name a few. Just my opinion but I've settled before and ended up spending more money in the long run. Good luck with your decision.

I would say a Dior (Miss or New Lock), everyone seems to have a 2.55 these days. I haven't seen a single Dior in Montreal yet, apart from a python lady dior. Then again maybe its just my area.

It sounds to me like your #1 love is Chanel and you would "settle" for the next best thing with the Dior which happens to be an equally lovely alternate. Bottom line is, when spending $$$$'s will you still lust for the Chanel? Don't plunge! My advice is wait until the Chanel becomes affordable to you. One never knows what will come up! ;)
I think I will always want a chanel, but I guess my rationalization is the dior would take care of me for several years so I would be okay not having one till my late 20s? but even then do you still believe I shouldn't? i don't want to make a "foolish girl's mistake" you know? I guess I'm scared that by the time I would feel comfortable buying it, its going to be like 8k lol. I know I can continue saving and putting money aside but honestly in good conscious I feel reckless buying the bag now and feel like i should down the road.