Do you think Ferragamo quality has changed?

Aug 31, 2009
Hi girls!

To start off, I'm a diehard Ferragamo lover. Most of my shoes are Ferragamo (unfortunately for my wallet! Which is, of course, Ferragamo :P), along with a few purses. But I recently took a break from his purses and ventured into the Louboutin world hehe.

Anyhow, I stopped by Woodbury Commons the other day at the Ferragamo store and was a bit shocked at the quality and feel of Ferragamo leather bags. I have always loved Ferragamo leather for it's quality, but most of the bags that I looked at (even the Marisa! the one I had wanted to buy) seemed...well...thin and kind of flimsy.

Has Ferragamo quality gone downhill in the past few years? I'll be so sad!

Hugs and kisses!

hmmm, by the time merchandise reaches warehouses, it has been through a few store and warehouse sales where lots of people have handled the bags - and not in the most gentle manner might i add...my only complaint is the price increases! LOL

hmmm, by the time merchandise reaches warehouses, it has been through a few store and warehouse sales where lots of people have handled the bags - and not in the most gentle manner might i add...my only complaint is the price increases! LOL

That's what I was thinking, too. I go into my local F boutique quite often and I haven't noticed a change in the leather quality.My new wallet is dreamy :tender: soft lambskin.

Does Ferragamo produce items "for the outlets" in addition to the inventory produced for the boutique? It's possible that the items at the outlets are of slightly lesser quality.

It's also possible that outlet items are from the trunk show, and often the trunk show items are not produced with the same care as the "for sale" items will be. I remember at the last trunk show, there were some issues with the closure on a python clutch and my SA explained that trunk show items are "rushed" through production. They probably sell those items off at the outlet.

That's what I was thinking, too. I go into my local F boutique quite often and I haven't noticed a change in the leather quality.My new wallet is dreamy :tender: soft lambskin.

Does Ferragamo produce items "for the outlets" in addition to the inventory produced for the boutique? It's possible that the items at the outlets are of slightly lesser quality.

It's also possible that outlet items are from the trunk show, and often the trunk show items are not produced with the same care as the "for sale" items will be. I remember at the last trunk show, there were some issues with the closure on a python clutch and my SA explained that trunk show items are "rushed" through production. They probably sell those items off at the outlet.

No, Ferragamo does not produce items specifically for its outlets. Everything is the same quality as what you'd find in the boutiques. At least with regard to the leather quality on the Marisas that chubbiebunnie noticed, it seems likely that those were just Marisas made of kidskin, which is thinner and lighter than calfskin. It's by no means indicative of lower quality; it's just a different leather serving a different purpose.

I'm not entirely sure about the "trunk show" issues, but I can speak about the outlet quality issues.

I have not noticed a difference in leather quality. They do use a variety of leathers and some are naturally thinner than others. I saw a lambskin clutch in the boutique last week that was of the thinner leather and it was buttery soft and beautiful. The quality of the exotics still looks great too.

I have loved Ferragamo since I was in my teens and I have to say to me they are one of the most consistent brands when it comes to quality of leather and workmanship. My Ferragamo shoes, wallets and bags seem to outlast everything else I own (and I am an equal opportunity bag/accessory lover:biggrin: ) I feel some of their styles have become a bit "boring" in the last few years but quality is still excellent.

I honestly do not think the quality has changed. The workmanship is still excellent, and the leathers are still of excellent stock. I fell in love with Ferragamo 9 yrs ago while living in Italy and wandered into one of their stores. The quality was fantastic then, as it is now.

Maybe what you're noticing is the different feel of the different leathers? Afterall, lambskin is not going to feel/look like calfskin, which is not going to feel/look like........

I was just thinking that Ferragamo prices are more moderate than a lot of other high-end designers. My python clutch was probably half of the price it would have cost in BV.

I love Ferragamo shoes and swear by their quality!

The only downside is that the leather soles seem to wear out quickly.

linpaddy - most leather soles wear quickly. I always get the rubber covering put on...it is called cat's paw. Around here the cobblers charge 15-20 bucks a pair. When you are spending more than $150 for a pair of shoes, it is a good investment.

I haven't had issues with F leather but only a design flaw in their Gancio Mediterraneo bag I bought from Saks and had to return. The strap was attached to the bag flap (it's a flap bag) and when you lift the bag, the weight of the bag itself (even with nothing in it) stretches the bag out and the strap looked like it was going to break. Very poor design if you ask me. This was the problematic bag ---->

Attachments

• Ferragamo Flap Bag.jpg
    Ferragamo Flap Bag.jpg
    2 KB · Views: 1,594