Do you think chanel handbags are getting overpriced?

overpriced.... yes yes...
i bought my first bag classic caviar jumbo for 10500 dhs ( dubai currency ) 2009 and now 2011 is 16800 dhs....
in two years increase 6300 dhs ???? that is tooo much... but i will always love chanel because of the classic design... i think i still continue to buy chanel...:thinking::thinking:

I
But to some extend, I think they should slow the rate of price increasing. Since I feel unless they want to have the same image of Hermes, they should just set the price to be at the stretch level for people's income. Like you need to try saving hard to buy a bag, but not totally unreasonable price. And the extra high price will just encourage replica. I saw almost everyone is carrying a Chanel in China.........and the quality is superb. Maybe even better than the real one. In the end, it is just a bag.[/QUOTE]

Wow that is so interesting!

Well, you know what I feel. Whenever the asia market, especially China market starts chasing after one particular luxury thing, the price just jacked up. Like Chanel. And Dior is getting more attention in China for the last two years. Lots of movie stars start carrying them. See the price of lady dior...........
My SA told me he has customers coming from China to buy 7-8 Chanel bags with cash and mid-east women buy Chanels like buying coach.
When I talked to my husband about the price jackup for Chanel for the last few years. And he said of course, it is just the time when people in China got rich and start chasing after those luxuries.
My point is not to blaming asians for the price increase. My point is that the biggest markets of luxury goods have shifted to Asia.

I
But to some extend, I think they should slow the rate of price increasing. Since I feel unless they want to have the same image of Hermes, they should just set the price to be at the stretch level for people's income. Like you need to try saving hard to buy a bag, but not totally unreasonable price. And the extra high price will just encourage replica. I saw almost everyone is carrying a Chanel in China.........and the quality is superb. Maybe even better than the real one. In the end, it is just a bag.[/QUOTE]

Wow that is so interesting!

Seriously, I saw lots of those. And I can not tell a difference.
I feel Chanel is somehow not doing the right thing to keep jacking up the price. They are not defining their market position right.
I feel they are trying so hard to catch up with Hermes.
BTW, Hermes bag is now carried a lot in China with celebrities or rich people or mystress of powerful people. It is a definition of your money for sure.

uhm yes...I prefer to buy older bags vs. newer bags. I would not have such an issue with the price if quality was still excellent but with the decline in quality...There should be no price increases! :tdown:

Well, you know what I feel. Whenever the asia market, especially China market starts chasing after one particular luxury thing, the price just jacked up. Like Chanel. And Dior is getting more attention in China for the last two years. Lots of movie stars start carrying them. See the price of lady dior...........
My SA told me he has customers coming from China to buy 7-8 Chanel bags with cash and mid-east women buy Chanels like buying coach.
When I talked to my husband about the price jackup for Chanel for the last few years. And he said of course, it is just the time when people in China got rich and start chasing after those luxuries.
My point is not to blaming asians for the price increase. My point is that the biggest markets of luxury goods have shifted to Asia.

i agree with you completly.. thats what i've been telling my freinds chanel is trying to limit the market like be4 i say to produce that much and open alot of boutiques rather than increasing the price!

Yes, definitely! With the current Chanel bag prices, I am open to looking at past seasons and get from the secondary market. The funny thing is the bag quality was so much better last time than now. It seems like Chanel is simply churning out quantity than quality these days and prices are climbing up, up and up.

I told myself that my last purchase from a boutique should be my black caviar maxi. Hope my common sense/self control prevails!

Yes it's overpriced but lower quality.Last year I saw the beautiful navy reissue on the window display and I came in asking to try it on.It's completely perfect on me so I decided to buy it .while I was exploring all over it ,suddenly I saw 2-3 stitches became loosening.So I pointed out and SA sweetly said "ohhh,dear.it's only just a demonstrated bag.we have plenty of them inside.you can choose out the perfect one for you" I denied because I thought that what's wrong with your company's QC.C'mon it's not that cheap to dive in a ton for searching for a perfectly one. If it were Hermes ,if you once fortunately find one on the window display ,you can grab it as fast as you can before someone will.Absolutely!! No more chanel for me.

I am a newbie to Chanel. But I just bought the black lamb, beige clair classic flap and a light burgundy woc this year.
In comparison with other bags, I feel I like Chanel more. Not only because they pretty, they are designed well and function well.
In terms of Chanel price, though I hate the increasing price of Chanel, but hey, this is determined by the economics rule, supply vs demand. Even with the increased price, there are still tons of demand for that. So why not........ Even if Chanel reduce the supply of classic bags, the company is still getting more profit from that. Also, the brand image was lifted to a much higher level.

Think this, from 1989 to 2006, the classic did not increase that much from 1150-1500 for M/L. But think of the economic bubble created during that period, not just in US, in Asia as well. If Chanel had been popular at that time, it should have increased price drastically then. I guess either Chanel was not that popular.

Like my husband said, no matter how crazy the price is, if you don't buy it, then there is no game chanel can play. It is because of women being so obsessed with Chanel and keep wanting another one, which encourages the price increase.

But to some extend, I think they should slow the rate of price increasing. Since I feel unless they want to have the same image of Hermes, they should just set the price to be at the stretch level for people's income. Like you need to try saving hard to buy a bag, but not totally unreasonable price. And the extra high price will just encourage replica. I saw almost everyone is carrying a Chanel in China.........and the quality is superb. Maybe even better than the real one. In the end, it is just a bag.

OK sorry but I find it just hard to believe. And in my country I have seen even the so-called super premium, mirror quality, AAA++++ whatever replica - that are sold for a few hundreds bucks. And nobody can even come close to the REAL Chanel bag. Experienced people will know which and how to distinguish the real thing, even from a mile a way.
There will always be replica, every currently highly desired or coveted thing will always be replicated. No matter how expensive or cheap, from Crocs to Chanel.

And not just luxury goods are "overpriced", almost everything seems to be way more expensive these days including food, gas, healthcare....oh well, what can you do? At least buying a handbag isn't a necessity. I see there are some people who won't buy Chanel for various reasons, but mostly due to high cost vs concerns about quality. There are plenty of other brands they can buy instead, such as Hermes. If they can afford a $15K + bag then go for it :biggrin:Heck, I know a LOT of people who don't think twice about spending the same cost of one Chanel classic flap bag on fine dining and wine in a couple months time. To each is own, I like doing that too :graucho:

They were always overpriced..all luxury goods are overpriced. But that's a characteristic inherent to the industry.