Do you think chanel handbags are getting overpriced?

overpriced for sure, but I like to think it focuses the mind and ensures that we only buy the ones we truly love and can't be without! I appreciate every single one of my bags, and perhaps I wouldnt say that so easily if I could afford a flap a month or in multiple colours (although how fab would that be!!!)

I'm sad to hear that for the huge price increase, there isn't a correlating quality increase as well. That's the only way it makes sense to me for the drastic price increase. It makes me a little hesitant to buy new bags from Chanel, if the quality is going down for those exorbitant prices. I'll probably buy a pre-loved item...

Does a bear dump in the woods? Is the Pope Catholic? Are Chanel purses overpriced for what you get in terms of quality? In 1989, a m/l lamb was $1150.

Other luxury brands increase prices too, but they don't all lower the quality of the product.

Yes! I don't really feel comfortable carrying a bag that costs so much in the city or even to my job. It makes me sad since it Chanel bags cost what they did a few years ago I'd buy more and wouldn't be concerned to carry them.

No, I don't think they are overpriced, because I still think it's worth it to buy them. Are they insanely priced? Yes. But for me they aren't overpriced, because I wouldn't buy something I thought was overpriced.

I am a newbie to Chanel. But I just bought the black lamb, beige clair classic flap and a light burgundy woc this year.
In comparison with other bags, I feel I like Chanel more. Not only because they pretty, they are designed well and function well.
In terms of Chanel price, though I hate the increasing price of Chanel, but hey, this is determined by the economics rule, supply vs demand. Even with the increased price, there are still tons of demand for that. So why not........ Even if Chanel reduce the supply of classic bags, the company is still getting more profit from that. Also, the brand image was lifted to a much higher level.

Think this, from 1989 to 2006, the classic did not increase that much from 1150-1500 for M/L. But think of the economic bubble created during that period, not just in US, in Asia as well. If Chanel had been popular at that time, it should have increased price drastically then. I guess either Chanel was not that popular.

Like my husband said, no matter how crazy the price is, if you don't buy it, then there is no game chanel can play. It is because of women being so obsessed with Chanel and keep wanting another one, which encourages the price increase.

But to some extend, I think they should slow the rate of price increasing. Since I feel unless they want to have the same image of Hermes, they should just set the price to be at the stretch level for people's income. Like you need to try saving hard to buy a bag, but not totally unreasonable price. And the extra high price will just encourage replica. I saw almost everyone is carrying a Chanel in China.........and the quality is superb. Maybe even better than the real one. In the end, it is just a bag.

I guess everyone's opinion of "overpriced" is different ;) Yes, I believe the flap bags are expensive, but I only buy what I can afford anyway. Several years ago I was NOT able to afford Chanel bags, or any other high-end designer bags for that matter which means I was unable to purchase Chanel at their "low" prices. Times have changed in my favor however and can afford Chanel at its current prices fortunately. I don't *need* a lot of Chanel bags though, a smaller collection is fine with me!

I totally can relate. I didn't start buying Chanel until 3 years ago and I find myself fortunate that I was able to get a few pieces before the increases. But despite the increases, I think i will still continue to buy them because it's such a classic. as long as prices go up, you know it'll be an investment and the value of all your other bags go up with it.

my first jumbo was purchased several years ago at around $2k. my most recent jumbo from my hubby for my bday was about $4300 or so. do i think it's unreasonable? not really. i actually think this increase is good for chanel and it's current/future owners. now we can argue to our so's that buying purses is indeed an investment ;)

I think Chanel has increased their price too high too fast. It's well and good before but it does seem like the luxury market has been shrinking over the past couple of years. Unless the global economy starts to recover, sooner or later the impact will hit Chanel At that point, it will be very interesting to see what their strategy is.. decrease prices to alienate existing customers who had bought at peak? Maintain price point but come out with other "budget" buys?

I digress.. Back to original question. Yes, I think they are overpriced. Supply & demand is true but the product quality should also reflect the price. Over the past few years it certainly seem like their selling point is more brand/style recognition than anything else. Of course, this doesn't stop me from waiting anxiously for the Cruise 2012 medium iridescent metallic lambskin flaps.

Good grief, YES YES YES! I love Chanel to death, but I will have to admit that the prices are getting just insane, and pushing me towards crossing over to the orange side.