Do you think all vintage leather Coach bags need a bath?

StarBrite310

Purse & Jewelry Fanatic!
O.G.
Jun 6, 2007
I just received my 4th vintage leather Coach bag yesterday, a British Tan Chrystie from 1991. The other 3 vintage Coaches that I have, I gave them all baths and even documented it on here with photos and info.

However, the one I just got is in very good condition. It was barely used and the hardware has no tarnishing at all, but it does have minor scratches on the leather and it is very dry. It's in desperate need of conditioner!

I'm just wondering though if I should go ahead and dunk it anyway so it's perfectly clean?

Basically what I'm asking is whether it's always warranted to give the bag a bath or if conditioner would be enough? I do know that sometimes the bath can make the bag change shape or become too soft, even if you stuff it with paper towels right after.

Thoughts?

I just received my 4th vintage leather Coach bag yesterday, a British Tan Chrystie from 1991. The other 3 vintage Coaches that I have, I gave them all baths and even documented it on here with photos and info.

However, the one I just got is in very good condition. It was barely used and the hardware has no tarnishing at all, but it does have minor scratches on the leather and it is very dry. It's in desperate need of conditioner!

I'm just wondering though if I should go ahead and dunk it anyway so it's perfectly clean?

Basically what I'm asking is whether it's always warranted to give the bag a bath or if conditioner would be enough? I do know that sometimes the bath can make the bag change shape or become too soft, even if you stuff it with paper towels right after.

Thoughts?

I would apply some conditioner and see if the scratches come out. If they do, I wouldn't give it a bath. It sounds like the bag is in great shape so I don't think it is necessary to give it a bath.

But I would be tempted to give it a bath anyway, because it is nice to get the bag super clean... Haha, but that is giving ourselves more work!

Girl, YES! That bag is more than 20 years old. Ain't no telling where its been. Who wants to carry somebody else's dirt?

Haha this made me laugh. Soooo true! I think I will go ahead and give it a bath then. Is Ivory dish soap still the one to use, or would Woolite be better you think?

I would apply some conditioner and see if the scratches come out. If they do, I wouldn't give it a bath. It sounds like the bag is in great shape so I don't think it is necessary to give it a bath.

But I would be tempted to give it a bath anyway, because it is nice to get the bag super clean... Haha, but that is giving ourselves more work!

Exactly! It is nice to have it all clean and fresh :smile:

DISCLAIMER FIRST - I have no idea how to rehab so I'm not sure aboout woolite or ivory.

I've bought one bag off of ebay and I dunked the fool out of it. It was a 2006/2007 leather duffle that I bought last year. It looked clean but you never know. I sink bathed it in Dawn THEN I put it in a pillowcase and threw it in washing machine with some more Dawn. I stuffed it, moisturized with Leather CPR, and hung it on the back of a chair to dry. It turned out great.

DISCLAIMER FIRST - I have no idea how to rehab so I'm not sure aboout woolite or ivory.

I've bought one bag off of ebay and I dunked the fool out of it. It was a 2006/2007 leather duffle that I bought last year. It looked clean but you never know. I sink bathed it in Dawn THEN I put it in a pillowcase and threw it in washing machine with some more Dawn. I stuffed it, moisturized with Leather CPR, and hung it on the back of a chair to dry. It turned out great.

Ohhh yeah Dawn I think is another one that is recommended to use! Wow, the washing machine. That sounds scary but I'm so glad it turned out great :lol:

You guys are talking about washing leather-- has it ever gone wrong? I got a black Rambler from eBay a year ago…I think it's 15 years old. It's not "dirty" (the leather is nice, etc) but now with all the, "wash it!" opinions, I'm wondering… is my bag dirty and gross?!

You guys are talking about washing leather-- has it ever gone wrong? I got a black Rambler from eBay a year ago…I think it's 15 years old. It's not "dirty" (the leather is nice, etc) but now with all the, "wash it!" opinions, I'm wondering… is my bag dirty and gross?!

My bag is currently drying as I type this :smile: To answer your question, this is my 4th time now giving my vintage leather COACH a bath and nope...it has never gone wrong for me. It's quite shocking how leather can sustain water and soap and come out fine, but since we are using such a mild soap and washing it in a sink, it is totally safe. I say go ahead and dunk yours. It's nice when it's all clean.

Make sure you apply a generous amount of leather conditioner after it's all dry though!

My bag is currently drying as I type this :smile: To answer your question, this is my 4th time now giving my vintage leather COACH a bath and nope...it has never gone wrong for me. It's quite shocking how leather can sustain water and soap and come out fine, but since we are using such a mild soap and washing it in a sink, it is totally safe. I say go ahead and dunk yours. It's nice when it's all clean.

Make sure you apply a generous amount of leather conditioner after it's all dry though!

Okay, I think I will!

Do you guys use Leather Honey as a leather conditioner or are you sticking with Coach's brand?

I would say only if the bags are dirty. I've bought Coach from e-bay that when I got them they appeared to have only been used a few times, if at all. I always look really carefully at the pictures, the descriptions and am not afraid to write the seller and ask if there are visible marks, fading or scratches, etc.

I really appreciate sellers who are ultra honest about the descriptions no matter what the flaws.