Do you think a tailor can let this dress out?

tennislove

Jan 24, 2008
I have an upcoming event and I bought this dress online:
http://www.saksfifthavenue.com/main..._name=Marc+Bouwer+Glamit!&bmUID=1265319590326
I bought the last dress in my size; when it came I tried it on and it's just a little tight around the hips and thighs. I asked Saks if they had the dress in a size up anywhere but they said they're totally sold out. I'd say it only needs to be let out a half inch, but the dress has a sequin overlay with a slip underneath, and I'm not sure if it's possible to let the overlay out. I don't know much about tailoring, but does anybody know if this can be done? I'm so sorry if this sounds like a stupid question, but I'd love some advice! Thank you so much!

jenaywins

O.G.
Dec 27, 2009
This definitely is not a stupid question - we've all been there! I tried to click on the link and it doesn't take me to the item; I think this is typical of Sak's site, because it's happened to me previously when I tried to link to a product.

I know a little bit about tailoring, so I'll try to help! On the inside of the dress, where the seam is, is there any excess fabric? This is how the tailor would let the dress out - basically by opening up the seam and re-stitching it back together with less fabric on the inside, if that makes sense. If there isn't really any excess, I'm sorry to say that you might be out of luck! :sad:

tennislove

Jan 24, 2008
I do see a little excess fabric; hopefully that means it can be let out then! Guess we'll just have to see when I go to the tailor tomorrow. Thank you so much jenaywins! :yahoo:

thithi

::pretty:tough::
O.G.
I can't see the dress either, but she's right, if there's a seam on the inside layer that has extra fabric, then the seamstress can open up the existing stitching and then restitch closer to the edge of fabric to open it up a tad.