Do you tell people you bought an item pre-loved?

jlebeann

Feb 21, 2012
Hello! Just as the thread reads: do you tell people that you bought an item pre-loved or from a consignment shop/eBay?

I recently bought a bag off of eBay that I absolutely looove.
Now, my issue is: do I tell people I bought a "used" bag (knowing my judgemental cousins, that's what they will think) or do I lie and say I bought it new?
The colour combo is from several years ago and I'm afraid to say I bought it new and have them do some research (if they really have no life they will) and find out it was from several years ago and that I lied.

Are you ashamed of buying pre-loved? Or buying something that was used by someone else?

Money isn't really the concern here but will probably think that I'm "cheap" for buying something not new, even though my main reason for purchase is that I couldn't find that same colour anymore. Or in my search for it at least.

Thanks in advance!

Hello! Just as the thread reads: do you tell people that you bought an item pre-loved or from a consignment shop/eBay?

Now, my issue is: do I tell people I bought a "used" bag (knowing my judgemental cousins, that's what they will think) or do I lie and say I bought it new?
The colour combo is from several years ago and I'm afraid to say I bought it new and have them do some research (if they really have no life they will) and find out it was from several years ago and that I lied.

Are you ashamed of buying pre-loved? Or buying something that was used by someone else?

Money isn't really the concern here but will probably think that I'm "cheap" for buying something not new, even though my main reason for purchase is that I couldn't find that same colour anymore. Or in my search for it at least.

Thanks in advance!

No, no, and no.

Depends on the people. I tell people that I like about bargains I made, because I'm proud of the savings. I wouldn't tell people that I don't really know or like where I buy things in the first place or even that I bought them myself (not their business)

Thanks in advance!

It depends on the person. If it's a friend I'd tell them anyone else is probably implying something nefarious so they aren't worth a response

I would not lie. Buying preloved is not a crime or something shameful. If someone is bothered it's their problem not yours.

This completely. I don't generally offer information on how much I spent or saved on anything, but if someone asked, I wouldn't lie. And if someone dares to judge me for buying from ebay, or consignment or whatever, well, that person is just a little too superficial and stupid for me to care about impressing, tbh.

I would agree that it depends on who I'm talking to. For people I'm close to, I'm usually proud to tell them in the context of what a good deal it was buying an item pre-loved, and in good condition. For people I don't know well, I'd tell them only if they asked (I wouldn't lie) - not because I'm ashamed, but because as someone noted, it's really none of their business.

If anything you can say its new and you won't be lying as it is a new to you bag.
I love buying my bags pre-loved as I give new life to the bag that someone didn't want any longer and it helps me justify my spending on a bag

I wouldn't lie about it, but I admit, nobody who's likely to ask me would be critical about it. For one thing, we all have a severe timing problem and keep finding things we like barely before or well after they get discontinued!

I do buy preloved and I am upfront about it. I paid for them using my hard earned money, I don't feel it is wrong or shameful to buy preloved. Of course the snobs at my workplace asked what about germs. I told them I sent the bags to cleaners for cleansing and disinfecting before using.