Do you tan?

1. The Nordstrom Anniversary Sale 2019 is now open to the public! Please support TPF by using this link before shopping the sale.
    We're also giving away five more $200 gift cards during the duration of the NAS! Find out more...
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. I know a lot of people say it's bad for you and many people suffer problems, but we'll leave those aside for this thread, OK?

I try to get an hour or so a day in natural Sun this time of year. Also whatever I get just being outside doing other things, but you have things covered up normally there. Poolside time is better, more relaxing.

I never do the artificial booths though.

2. I do not avoid the sun. I do not intentionally lay out much but when I go walking/hiking and watch my kids soccer games I don't wear sunscreen. Only on my face/chest and that is for vanity reasons only (and doesn't even really work).

I do use umbrellas when I am hot and I will use sunscreen for long days in the sun because I'll burn if I don't have a base tan but I am a huge believer in the importance of getting Vit D from the sun. I am Caucasian but not pasty white so that helps and my kids are half Filipino and I don't sunscreen them at all.

3. My skin is already naturally tan (NC 35 in winter, NC 40 in summer), so I don't tan on purpose. I wear sunscreen on my face everyday but don't wear it on my body all the time unless I'm going to the beach/pool or be outdoors for prolonged periods. I think a little sun is OK for Vit-D absorption.

4. I've had one bout with skin cancer so no, I don't tan.

5. No. I know too many people who have ended up with skin like an old handbag. I use a subtle self tan to take the edge off the paleness

6. I've seen this too. A tan looks fine when you're younger, but later on the price is very wrinkled, leathery skin. I like the products out now that give you some bit of color.
    I'll admit I like being out on a nice sunny day, but after 20 minutes (for vitamin D), I either go in or put on sunscreen.

7. Pale and proud!!!

ccbaggirl89 likes this.
  8. I'm really light skinned and don't really get much darker no matter how hard I try [emoji24][emoji24][emoji24] any self tan recs? Haha

9. Oh, you're like me - I am super-fair and as the majority of tans work with the skin's melanin, I have to work hard to tan. I work for a self-tan company so not sure I can post recommendations here in case it's seen as promoting the business, but I'd be happy to PM you a couple of suggestions...I am currently wearing a new product and not only do I have a healthy golden glow, it's lasted five days. Woo hoo!

10. Oohhh I would love to know the product you are speaking of!

11. Oohhh I would love to know the product you are speaking of!

12. #12 Jun 17, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2016
    I have lived in the Deep South all my life & have lived in the sun. I always tanned. In the past year, I have had 4 sun cancer surgeries; the price I've paid. At my age, my skin has lost a lot of it's elasticity & collagen so it does sag a bit & is getting crepey. I don't lay out & tan anymore but I don't avoid the sun either. I do get out in the yard & flowerbeds & I do walk. My husband & I are both active outside. I have always used sunscreen on my face & I have worn a hat to cover my face for several years. I use a self tanner to give me a little color but don't over do it to the point of being orange. While I like the look of a tan, I would not advise it for those who are young. Sun damage will show up later on. I see some people I use to spend summers with tanning & their skin looks so wrinkled & weathered. My SIL still gets out by the pool for hours at a time & it's really starting to show; she's 52 but looks to be closer to my age which is 61. I'm also to the point that I prefer to be cool so I have no desire to lay out tanning for hours. I prefer air conditioning to the heat & humidity of the South. LOL

13. so I *think* I PMed you, but who can tell with this new set-up.

14. I would love to know a few suggestions as well. I want a golden glow & would prefer something that doesn't have that self tanner smell. :huh: Please PM me as well.:smile:

15. My grandmother, mom, dad, and sister all had some kind of skin cancer removed from their faces. So no, I NEVER tan. I wear 70 SPF on my face when I'll be in the sun. I'm very fair skinned with light eyes so I'm not taking any chances.

CoastalCouture and Kirkland like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice