Do you talk to your hairdresser while getting a haircut?

While I adore my hairdresser, I don't talk much to him. Listening to his colleagues and him gossip about other patrons makes me self-conscious....usually it's him talking to me about other clients or his personal problems/thoughts/dreams, etc. It's like I play a shrink to him while I'm stuck in the chair for 3 hrs (straight perming of hair)

I always feel awkward whenever I have to get my hair cut. I'm not a talkative person and feel like I don't have anything to talk about with a hairdresser. Is it just me? Has anyone ever experienced this before?

I always wondered about this, my daughters MIL is a hairdresser and she has said that they feel very relieved when a customer takes their seat with a magazine, as it means they are not going to chat.

I suppose it is the same as anything else, some people like to chat away and others prefer to remain quiet.

I was always used to having my hair cut at home from the same person for a long long time, I am nervous about hairdressers, which may sound stupid, but I really hate going to get my hair cut.

I have to say, not only does she give the best hair cuts in the world, she's a bit chatty. She talks more than me and I look at it as therapy because boy does she have issues!:wtf: I just sit back and listen to her yack. Sometimes I just have to start the conversation with one sentence and that'll carry her for 20 minutes. If things lag, I just ask how my hair is doing. I don't mind. It's all pretty mindless drivel.:jammin:

when i go to get my hair done, all i want is quiet downtime. i don't want to chat about anything except what is going to be done. is there a polite way to say, please no chit chat? i will be going to a new place, so i'd like to establish my preferences early on, if possible!

If I know the person - yes we will chat. I had one hairdresser for 6 years and we knew eachother pretty well. But normally no. I'm not chatty by nature so there is normally a bit of small talk and that is it.

I talk to everyone..including my hair stylist...lol. I'm sociable and love talking to people. I've been going to her for 6 months now and love her. We talk for a bit and then sometimes I just look at a magazine or read a book when I don't feel like talking....

I always feel awkward whenever I have to get my hair cut. I'm not a talkative person and feel like I don't have anything to talk about with a hairdresser. Is it just me? Has anyone ever experienced this before?

I dumped one hair cutter for just this reason. Within the first 10 minutes I learned all I NEVER wanted to know about her family problems, her daughter's jerk hubby, opinions on politics, and more.

Too bad. She was a good cutter and located 1/2 block from my office. The final 3 appts I told her I had a headache and would appreciate silence.

OH! I just remembered.

I also dumped a haircutter several years ago who was FANTASTIC because she would not stop talking about her affairs with married men.

I just could not stand to hear that. So slutty.

I would prefer not to talk actually while having my hair done. Nothing worse than trying to read & someone making small talk.
When I go to my special stylist for a cut I don't mind some talk as I know him but I really don't need his life history. I never tell a hairdresser anything that i don't want repeated, hair salons are famous for gossip! It totally drives me crazy when every girl from the one that shampoos to the stylist asks "Are you going out tonight then?" Someday I am going to scream at them "Do I have to be going out to have my hair done?" LOL

I totally thought I was the only one who had nothing to talk about sometimes to my hair dresser... I feel bad being quiet, but at the same time, forced conversations are awkward for me too... its lose lose! Lol.

I've just found a new (better) hairdresser who I've only been to once. She didn't really talk to me much and I felt awkward in the silence. But I'm not really a talkative person which she could tell unless I *really* get along well with them. On the other end if you're a boring person like me who hardly goes out then you end up straining to just answer questions. Anyway, I like to reassure myself that she should be concentrating on doing my hair and it'll give us both a break from having to make small talk!