Travel Do you take nice purses while travelling?

girliegirl

O.G.
Jun 6, 2006
As my handbag collection has increased and gotten nicer I've started to wonder if it's unwise to travel with expensive bags in case of loss or theft? Last vacation in Eastern Europe I took a generic black leather cross body and a Hermes Evelyne and preferred to use the generic one just in case.

Is that paranoid?

As my handbag collection has increased and gotten nicer I've started to wonder if it's unwise to travel with expensive bags in case of loss or theft? Last vacation in Eastern Europe I took a generic black leather cross body and a Hermes Evelyne and preferred to use the generic one just in case.

Is that paranoid?
I don't know about paranoid :smile: but I travel with any of my bags. Honestly I am more worried about damage in transit and the cultural impact (i.e., don't carry Hermès to the developing world) than I am about loss/theft.

Depends where you travel. If I know I'll be around a nice city then I'll bring one or two of my nicer bags... but if its somewhere where pick pockets or robbery can happen in broad day light.. then I will stick to my less expensive purse throughout the whole trip.

Reactions: kadelle
When I travel I bring only one bag - a cross body that I can stuff for the plane flights. And it has to be something I can use regardless of weather, etc. I don't want to even think about my bag, so it is definitely not fancy. I wear a black bag on black clothes and walk fast - no one notices it!!

depends on where i'm going. in a place like Vegas, for example, i do want an expensive luxury brand bag with me. when i go to poorer countries or crime-ridden cities i'm not shlepping about with a chanel.

All my handbags are nice, from the very expensive bbk to the cheapo nylon cross body. I travel for my comfort and enjoyment, not to make a fashion statement or document for social media.

Take whatever bag you want. If you think you will not enjoy your trip as much because of the bag then don't bring it.

I would advise against taking luxury brands abroad, unless you are staying in a 5 star hotel and restrict yourself to good areas in those countries. It's not worth the anxiety and hassle of possible theft or assault.

Once they interviewed a thief on TV who liked to rob female tourists. He said he would look at either a woman's watch or handbag to determine if it was worth robbing her.

Reactions: USCGirlie
I always err on the side of caution, so I must be paranoid too! :P I usually take a non-descript crossbody bag when I'm traveling internationally. For domestic, it depends on where I'm going and how I plan to travel (personal car vs public transportation). For example, if I'm renting a car and going around Los Angeles, I don't mind bringing along a nicer bag.

I usually don't take my nicer things when traveling abroad. I just don't want to have to worry about them. If something I really cared about got lost, stolen, or damaged, it might put a damper on my trip. I usually take a boring crossbody RFID bag to be on the safe side. I typically buy special items on my vacations and it's enough of a bother just getting them home safely! Lol.

When traveling abroad I will bring a small nice bag that can double as a clutch, crossbody or thrown inside my daily bag. I won't carry anything that doesn't securely close with a zipper and is name brand. I was pick pocketed in Spain about 10 years ago getting on the subway. Someone was getting off, kind of pushed me and managed to grab my wallet out of my Prada bag. It happened so fast and the train doors were closing. I was on the train and he was long gone. Thankfully my passport wasn't inside.