Do you struggle over letting go of old jewellery?

BreadnGem

Feb 25, 2012
Hi Ladies,

I have quite a number of old jewellery pieces, some of which i have not worn for a few years. I'm thinking of selling them. However, i find myself hesitating because i'm worried that i will regret having sold them in the future. None of these pieces hold any particular sentimental value; most of them i bought myself over the years. Some i even have 2 in very similar styles, for e.g., i have 2 channel set half eternity rings, in different carat weights. Of course i prefer the one with bigger diamonds, so one gets worn more than the other, but i still wonder if i will regret if i sell the smaller one, altho it just sits there gathering dust. Some of these pieces i think i have outgrown, but i still think, "what if i suddenly want to wear them again in the future?"

My head tells me that the more sensible thing to do would be to sell those pieces which i have not worn for a long time so i can either save the money or use it for other things. Furthermore, it seems a waste to just let them sit in the jewellery box for years. Yet, i still dither over this decision.

What would you do? Do you also struggle over letting go of old pieces? I guess i just need some encouragement to do the sensible thing :smile:

I know this feeling! I always feel like that when I'm planning to sell something.

However, whenever I sold something I never regretted it afterwards. I think that if you weren't ready to sell it, you wouldn't have even thought about it.

Sometimes I think like this: If all you jewellery got stolen, would you replace the items you are planning to sell now? Would you be very sad if they were away all of a sudden?

If your answer is "no", you will most likely not regret it.

Hi Ladies,

I have quite a number of old jewellery pieces, some of which i have not worn for a few years. I'm thinking of selling them. However, i find myself hesitating because i'm worried that i will regret having sold them in the future. None of these pieces hold any particular sentimental value; most of them i bought myself over the years. Some i even have 2 in very similar styles, for e.g., i have 2 channel set half eternity rings, in different carat weights. Of course i prefer the one with bigger diamonds, so one gets worn more than the other, but i still wonder if i will regret if i sell the smaller one, altho it just sits there gathering dust. Some of these pieces i think i have outgrown, but i still think, "what if i suddenly want to wear them again in the future?"

My head tells me that the more sensible thing to do would be to sell those pieces which i have not worn for a long time so i can either save the money or use it for other things. Furthermore, it seems a waste to just let them sit in the jewellery box for years. Yet, i still dither over this decision.

What would you do? Do you also struggle over letting go of old pieces? I guess i just need some encouragement to do the sensible thing :smile:
Nah - sell em! :graucho:

Sorry that sounded blase but on a serious note, I have sold a lot of my old jewellery to fund my recent jewellery buys. I wouldnt have been able to fund the purchases otherwise and I felt that old jewellery sitting around not doing anything seemed silly, when there are so many beautiful new pieces I want.

Obviously, I dont sell anything of sentimental value but a lot of my old jewellery pieces that I no longer like had increased massively in price because of gold prices, so it just felt like the right thing for me to do!

I dont have any regrets about selling any of my old jewellery - and I now have some lovely pieces I know I will wear for a long time!

What are you thinking of buying BreadnGem?

I know this feeling! I always feel like that when I'm planning to sell something.

However, whenever I sold something I never regretted it afterwards. I think that if you weren't ready to sell it, you wouldn't have even thought about it.

Sometimes I think like this: If all you jewellery got stolen, would you replace the items you are planning to sell now? Would you be very sad if they were away all of a sudden?

If your answer is "no", you will most likely not regret it.

That's a very interesting thought and very helpful! I need to think about that! : )

Nah - sell em! :graucho:

Sorry that sounded blase but on a serious note, I have sold a lot of my old jewellery to fund my recent jewellery buys. I wouldnt have been able to fund the purchases otherwise and I felt that old jewellery sitting around not doing anything seemed silly, when there are so many beautiful new pieces I want.

Obviously, I dont sell anything of sentimental value but a lot of my old jewellery pieces that I no longer like had increased massively in price because of gold prices, so it just felt like the right thing for me to do!

I dont have any regrets about selling any of my old jewellery - and I now have some lovely pieces I know I will wear for a long time!

What are you thinking of buying BreadnGem?

Thanks for replying. I'm not thinking of buying anything at the moment, but then it is only january now so i dare say i may come across something i like later in the year :graucho:. I just thought the money may be put to better use instead of just sitting in my jewellery box. I just want to be sure before i do anything, cos altho i dont wear them, it's kinda nice to know they are there if i ever want to wear them again. I guess it's just my magpie tendencies!! LOL :biggrin:

I am exactly like you.. Holding on to everything, even things that don't suit my current style. I also hold onto things, with the thought my girls maybe able to wear them soon(dainty, pretty things).
But recently I sold something substantial & sentimental for something I will wear every day or at least more often than the item sold. This will also be something that I see my girls inheriting & enjoying.
Still, I keep wondering did I mistake?? Only time will tell...
Sorry, I am of no help!! Lol !

Thanks for replying. I'm not thinking of buying anything at the moment, but then it is only january now so i dare say i may come across something i like later in the year :graucho:. I just thought the money may be put to better use instead of just sitting in my jewellery box. I just want to be sure before i do anything, cos altho i dont wear them, it's kinda nice to know they are there if i ever want to wear them again. I guess it's just my magpie tendencies!! LOL :biggrin:
If there isnt anything in particular you want right now, I would keep the jewellery until you see something that really makes your heart sing!

Then, knowing you are about to get a beautiful new piece of jewellery, I think it will be easier to part with things you no longer wear.

I've recently given myself the ultimatum to wear all the jewelry I own (not all at once. :giggles:smile: three times before making a decision. I've found new appreciation for some older pieces and they are back into heavy rotation. It also reminded me why I never wear others. Some jewelry is just poorly designed and uncomfortable. Those are now in the remodeling pile. If the jewelry is just out of fashion it was returned to the back of the jewelry box until it's turn comes around again.

I actually had to sell a few pieces that belonged to my grandmother because we needed the money. I felt horrible and knew it was wrong as I wanted to pass it down. It was the most depressing day of my life. But survival must come first. Thankfully, my mother understood and didn't hold a grudge. However, I will never do that again.

Last year, I sold a ton of silver designer pieces on eBay, did really well. I kept three pieces that I couldn't let go of yet. I didn't wear any of them once last year, so I put them on eBay last week. They all sold and I will be able to fund a piece I want without having to save and have a little egg for my next project.

A few years ago, I sold a a lot of gold and I never regretted it. They were items purchased without much thought when gold was cheap. I used the money to get a few better pieces.

I have jewelry from my parents that I will always keep in some form. I have my first good ring, a ruby that I received at a very young age. It's a great stone, but the ring is sort of dainty for me at age 41 now. I had it resized to a pinky ring and it feels brand new again.

I think rotating your wear may help you to establish which pieces you may fall in love with again, and which ones you really no longer enjoy.

As for the similar style pieces... I'd say cull the ones of that style you do not like as much. There's not much point in having something that looks the same, right? I am applying this to clothes, makeup and jewellery here: I never buy anything of a similar look, even in different colours, because if I already own something like that already, there's bound to be something else which comes along 2 min later which is different and a must-have. So it'd be money better spent that way. Hope that makes sense!