do you still love your old school RM bags?

I have some bags from 2008, 2009,with great leather. One from 2010 with horrible leather, and surprisingly a MAM from 2014(I think) with great leather. The Bailey I have is pretty new, the leather is thick but not soft at all, it's like cardboard almost. It will crease rather than slouch. Glad I got it for cheap on PM.
I'm at a point where even if I get a bag for cheap I want to be happy with the condition and the quality of the leather. Otherwise I've wasted whatever amount of money it cost
On the other hand, small flaws like minor corner wear or the inside not being totally spotless are more acceptable if you get a bag for cheap.

Reactions: Manelieht
and for the most part the leather they're using now doesn't compare
I heard the first bags were best.
It seems to depend on colors also. I had a neon pink mini mac, the leather was okay but the color more painted on than dyed. Then I had a fuchsia one with amazing leather. Also my Jules Satchel is heavenly, grainy, soft black leather and my 2015 Mini MAB has great quality leather...although very stiff.
I have not puchased RM since 2015, no idea how recent bags compare.

Reactions: Shelby33
I have some bags from 2008, 2009,with great leather. One from 2010 with horrible leather, and surprisingly a MAM from 2014(I think) with great leather. The Bailey I have is pretty new, the leather is thick but not soft at all, it's like cardboard almost. It will crease rather than slouch. Glad I got it for cheap on PM.

I was wondering if around 2014/15 they produced a few bags with better leather? Mine has a b&w lining and all bags I see with this lining seem good.

I was wondering if around 2014/15 they produced a few bags with better leather? Mine has a b&w lining and all bags I see with this lining seem good.
If it's the dash lining, I think that was 2010 , after that quality kind of went downhill, I was lucky to find a good one!

I'm at a point where even if I get a bag for cheap I want to be happy with the condition and the quality of the leather. Otherwise I've wasted whatever amount of money it cost
On the other hand, small flaws like minor corner wear or the inside not being totally spotless are more acceptable if you get a bag for cheap.
In looking at the design of the bag, I'm wondering if slouchy leather would have worked actually. It looks nice though, and can handle lots of rain.

Yes! This is it. I would not say its buttery soft leather like some of the old bags re supposed to be but good quality. Maybe a bit stiff?
That lining is from my mini mab I’m selling (too big and boxy for what I carry). I defiantly wouldn’t call it buttery, but it’s very thick and sturdy. Not bad at all.
I also have a mini MAC with that lining that I adore. It’s pebbled and decent quality. The color isn’t peeling off or anything, like I’ve seen on other RM bags.

Reactions: Manelieht
That lining is from my mini mab I’m selling (too big and boxy for what I carry). I defiantly wouldn’t call it buttery, but it’s very thick and sturdy. Not bad at all.
I also have a mini MAC with that lining that I adore. It’s pebbled and decent quality. The color isn’t peeling off or anything, like I’ve seen on other RM bags.
Yes, thick and sturdy leather fits. I have another with pebbled leather which is also great. Although a different lining.

Reactions: OhHelloDoll
Yes, thick and sturdy leather fits. I have another with pebbled leather which is also great. Although a different lining.

I ended up changing my mind about selling this mab. The quality is definitely there and I think I’d regret it down the line, especially if I sold it as cheap as I would have had to go to. It’s a bag that will last.

There are a million for sale used. It is pretty fun to explore and buy at deep discounts.

I second this. I actually enjoy looking for the bag at just the right condition, price, and color.