Do you still buy silver pieces? or have you 'moved on'?

I wonder what are the 'dangers' of the active metal qualities and what it is about it that makes it not good to be stored with gold? Do they change the gold? hurt the gold? does the gold hurt the silver? etc.
Silver is not chemically active. It is considered INACTIVE hence its use in jewelry making:

Inactive metals are metals that find great difficulty to react with oxygen such as silver, platinum, nickel, gold and chromium. Silver and gold are used in making jewels because silver and gold are chemically poor active.

Active Metals is a collective name for metals that react strongly or quickly with other substances. The metals in the first column of the periodic table are very reactive with other substances because they have a single electron in their outermost shell, just waiting to be stripped off to form a complete shell in some other atom, like oxygen or fluorine or chlorine, to form oxides, fluorides or chlorides. Examples of active metals are Lithium, Sodium, Potassium, Rubidium, and Cesium, which are also known as the "Alkali" metals.

I don't have a lot of Tiffany pieces but it's 50/50 silver and rose gold. There are some items that I simply prefer in a white metal such as the bean necklace and the toggle heart bracelet. And then there are others that I much prefer in rose gold, like the open heart necklace and my interlocking circle bracelet.

Either way I'm fine because you can shower/sleep/do whatever in silver or gold. And that's all I care about. I have experienced horrific tarnishing with my Pandora stuff, but the Tiffany silver has actually never tarnished for me, so there's no hassle in needing to clean it. It acts basically like white gold for me, but with a much lower price. And yes, Tiffany's gold pieces are so expensive, so I'm glad that I like their silver as well!

I don't have a lot of Tiffany pieces but it's 50/50 silver and rose gold. There are some items that I simply prefer in a white metal such as the bean necklace and the toggle heart bracelet. And then there are others that I much prefer in rose gold, like the open heart necklace and my interlocking circle bracelet.

Either way I'm fine because you can shower/sleep/do whatever in silver or gold. And that's all I care about. I have experienced horrific tarnishing with my Pandora stuff, but the Tiffany silver has actually never tarnished for me, so there's no hassle in needing to clean it. It acts basically like white gold for me, but with a much lower price. And yes, Tiffany's gold pieces are so expensive, so I'm glad that I like their silver as well!
Absolutely adore rose gold!
What pieces do you routinely wear?

I passed my family rose gold on to my nieces. Would be nice to get something maybe more current.

Agree Tiffany silver doesn't seem to need much cleaning compared to other silver.

Don’t know much about the Tiffany metal except it seems reasonably pure but not too soft. My bangles don’t scuff easily.

Absolutely adore rose gold!
What pieces do you routinely wear?

I passed my family rose gold on to my nieces. Would be nice to get something maybe more current.

Agree Tiffany silver doesn't seem to need much cleaning compared to other silver.

Don’t know much about the Tiffany metal except it seems reasonably pure but not too soft. My bangles don’t scuff easily.

IMG_20210921_104027~3.jpg

This is the rose gold piece I wear 24/7. The interlocking circle bracelet in 18k RG. It's surprisingly comfortable to sleep in. Also a great replacement for a wedding ring if you get swollen fingers and can't stand to wear rings.

I generally wear a non-Tiffany rose gold diamond bow necklace with it. But I also really want the 16mm Elsa Peretti rose gold open heart necklace... It's just so expensive in Australia that it's hard to justify for such a simple design... But at the same time, no one does this design like Elsa Peretti. It's completely superior to any other similar version out there, even if they are much cheaper.

View attachment 5200484

This is the rose gold piece I wear 24/7. The interlocking circle bracelet in 18k RG. It's surprisingly comfortable to sleep in. Also a great replacement for a wedding ring if you get swollen fingers and can't stand to wear rings.

I generally wear a non-Tiffany rose gold diamond bow necklace with it. But I also really want the 16mm Elsa Peretti rose gold open heart necklace... It's just so expensive in Australia that it's hard to justify for such a simple design... But at the same time, no one does this design like Elsa Peretti. It's completely superior to any other similar version out there, even if they are much cheaper.
Lovely idea to wear your rings as a bracelet!
Thank you!

Put all my rings away sometime ago. Thinking maybe braided silk or a leather thong might work well.

I'm tempted to sometimes but then I try to force myself to save up !
I did that for my bean pendant and dbty pendant, that I was really *really* tempted to get straight away in silver, but ended up saving for rose gold, and couldn't be happier :smile:
I do have the olive leaf band in silver and love that too though, it just seemed more "fresh" and "happier" in silver :smile: , if that makes sense :smile:

tempImagebSyBT4.png

tempImage2gYxqy.png

Ditto to all this! My watch is SS and my wedding set is white gold, so I find Tiffany silver compliments everything perfectly. I had started to collect only white gold, but since I like to wear items 24/7 I just find the silver is less worrisome and I can afford more pieces.

Reactions: Shopgirl1996
I hadn’t bought anything from Tiffany in a long time, but I was browsing the website and I absolutely fell in love with these twist knot earrings. I saw them in yellow gold, but much preferred them in silver, as I prefer white metals near my face because of my colouring. I am absolutely in love with them. They’re so sparkly and white, very similar colour to rhodium plated white gold. I don’t really care about tarnishing, as Tiffany offer free lifetime cleaning :panic: I feel like I’m really into silver now!8FA37076-265F-4EE6-966E-EEA498F4D54F.jpeg3D02B2BE-A6A1-4E00-90E8-87EBB52DF362.jpeg

I hadn’t bought anything from Tiffany in a long time, but I was browsing the website and I absolutely fell in love with these twist knot earrings. I saw them in yellow gold, but much preferred them in silver, as I prefer white metals near my face because of my colouring. I am absolutely in love with them. They’re so sparkly and white, very similar colour to rhodium plated white gold. I don’t really care about tarnishing, as Tiffany offer free lifetime cleaning :panic: I feel like I’m really into silver now!

They look great on! As long as you keep them in the anti-tarnish tiffany pouch when you're not wearing them, they shouldn't tarnish much at all. I've had silver pieces for years and they still haven't tarnished, they just lose a bit of shine after a while. All you need to do is run a silver polishing cloth over them and they look brand new.

I thought you could have silver items rhodium plated. That’s a solution if silver tarnishing is a worry. Also, scratching. For me, it was silver reactivity with my skin, and the particular style I wanted came, as Tiffany does it, only in silver, or yellow/rose gold which I didn’t prefer. So, I had silver earrings rhodium plated at Tiffany’s when I purchased them. I mean, what one‘s gotta do when Tiffany doesn’t offer much in white gold or platinum.
Doesn’t Tiffany in every country offer such service? If not, then a reputable local jeweler would help.

I thought you could have silver items rhodium plated. That’s a solution if silver tarnishing is a worry. Also, scratching. For me, it was silver reactivity with my skin, and the particular style I wanted came, as Tiffany does it, only in silver, or yellow/rose gold which I didn’t prefer. So, I had silver earrings rhodium plated at Tiffany’s when I purchased them. I mean, what one‘s gotta do when Tiffany doesn’t offer much in white gold or platinum.
Doesn’t Tiffany in every country offer such service? If not, then a reputable local jeweler would help.
I didn’t know you could do this. Your items were plated through Tiffany? I have a silver ring with a gemstone that is hard to polish. I’d love to have this done.

I didn’t know you could do this. Your items were plated through Tiffany? I have a silver ring with a gemstone that is hard to polish. I’d love to have this done.
Yes, I had the earrings plated at Tiffany’s, by their in-house service centre. The SA didn’t even blink at my request, so I never thought that it could be anything out of the ordinary. I am now quite surprised reading here on TPF that people struggle with silver and don’t have it plated. Could that depend on the T’s policy in particular countries? Like, may be out-of-the-US branches have more leeway re their post-sales service policy? In any way, even if your local T. store can’t do it or send out to a service facility, I know for sure that any jeweller can rhodium-plate or gold-plate. However, I don’t know if there are technical limitations with gem stones or particular shapes.

Yes, I had the earrings plated at Tiffany’s, by their in-house service centre. The SA didn’t even blink at my request, so I never thought that it could be anything out of the ordinary. I am now quite surprised reading here on TPF that people struggle with silver and don’t have it plated. Could that depend on the T’s policy in particular countries? Like, may be out-of-the-US branches have more leeway re their post-sales service policy? In any way, even if your local T. store can’t do it or send out to a service facility, I know for sure that any jeweller can rhodium-plate or gold-plate. However, I don’t know if there are technical limitations with gem stones or particular shapes.
This is so helpful and I’m going to look into it! I never considered it.

This is so helpful and I’m going to look into it! I never considered it.
Just bear in mind that plating will change the look from the warm bright silver glow to the cool shade. Also, given that yours is a ring, it may be worth paying more for several plating layers. I don’t know if in my case they truly did two layers, but at least that was what I requested bc I was worried the earring post would otherwise be scratched by the closure exposing the silver to come in contact with my skin. The final price for the service was more than the initial approx. quote the SA gave, so I guess it can mean that either she wasn’t aware of the current cost or that they actually followed my request of double layering. In any case, it all worked great, the post is not yet scratched even after 5 (I guess) years, and I am absolutely happy with the results