Do you shrink your jeans in the dryer first before hemming them?

What do you do before hemming your jeans?

• Shrink in dryer first before hemming

• I don't shrink my jeans in the dryer before hemming

Results are only viewable after voting.
I always wash my jeans, then put them in the dryer for 10-15 minutes and let them air dry before I take them to be hemmed. This is the way I wash them too after they have been hemmed too. I NEVER dry my jeans all the way, this wears out the stretch part of the fabric. Brand new jeans will shrink a bit in length, so I think it's best to wash before taking them to the tailor. HTH!

Last edited:
I always wash my jeans, then put them in the dryer for 10-15 minutes and let them air dry before I take them to be hemmed. This is the way I wash them too after they have been hemmed too. I NEVER dry my jeans all the way, this wears out the stretch part of the fabric. Brand new jeans will shrink a bit in length, so I think it's best to wash before taking them to the tailor. HTH!

I do this too..:tup:

i hemmed a few pairs of work pants b4 and they shrunk tremendously in the wash! i wound up taking them back and having the hem taken out. HUGE $120 mistake for pants that only cost $30 to begin with! :sad:

You should NEVER EVER put your jeans in the dryer. Denim should always be hung to dry. They should also be washed in cold water.

The reason is that the heat from the dryer breaks down the lycra/spandex in the denim. So while they might seem tighter when you first put them on, eventually they will stretch out even more than they did before you washed them.

Wash them 2x in cold water and hang dry in between.

Trust me, I used to work at Levis :P

^great advice. This is why I never put my jeans in the dryer and I've never had any of my jeans shrink or rip on me. I do wash my jeans first before taking it to the tailors.