Do you remember the days BEFORE "oversized" bags were in?

MissLianne

PhD in shopping
O.G.
Dec 27, 2008
As I sit in front of my closet looking at my bags... Both recent purchases and bags of days gone by I thought of something:

Do you gals remember the days before BIG BAGS were in? Oversized bags- hm I started wearing them in 2005. But everybag from my collection that predates that are pretty small.

There was a time when my Louis Vuitton pochettes served as my "every day" bags. I remember trying on a Speedy 30 back then (2003?) and saying to myself this looks like a gym bag (now I own 2 and even contemplated the 35!)

I have a cute nylon prada bag. It's about the length of my arm (wrist to elbow) and thinking (back then) how ROOMY that is.

I have a Burberry tote from late 2005 (christmas, actually).. Its square shaped but in NO MEANS oversized (maybe the term oversized and large has changed) and remember thinking back then that it was sooo big!

My Mom and Grandmother always ask how I carry around such big bags. When I first started wearing them they would always joke "where are you travelling and when are you coming back"

IDK if I can ever go back to such tiny bags? Maybe this thread is nonsense (cause I was quite young when I carried around smaller bags) bc I can't imagine not walking around with my makeup case, agenda, large wallet, sunglasses in large cases and other items you tend to need.

Am I alone on these thoughts?

I remember and back then, it seemed like I never needed to bring so many things along with me. Now my medication alone weighs down my bag! I like carrying my big bags (I guess big is relative - a medium boston bag is pretty big to me - I'm only 5 feet tall). I have to bring everything with me even if it's just to the grocery store! Last year when I was carrying my MbMJ Aline bag which looked kind of large on me, a random guy came up to me and told me my handbag was huge! lol

My taste, as well, has swung over to the larger side of the handbag scheme, it seems. I still don't fill the bag to the rim, but I tend to carry larger bags than what I did about 10 years ago.....

Ha, I remember when handbags with REALLY long straps were "in" and people wore them as shoulder bags, NOT crossbody!? I hate the idea of my purse swinging down by my knees!

It is really odd how oversize bags became popular and are still the norm. I see medium size bags as too small many times. I think accessories got larger as well, some wallets are HUGE now! You need a large bag just to fit your wallet inside.

Even when small bags were in I still bought big bags-I like being able to put my cardigan or a book and water bottle inside. Although I wonder about my poor shoulders sometimes :S

I think my handbags grew in proportion with me over the years ;)

My closet is host to several Coach pocketbooks from the 80s... when they were literally the size of a standard paperback! I managed quite well with them too. All I ever had to carry back then was a coin purse, keys and of course a "pocket book" (paperback) to read on the train.

I used to only use small bags in high school, I used to think that big bags were ridiculous! Now, they're all I use. I just bought a small bag from Urban Outfitters, and my sunglass case takes up most of the bag, I don't understand how I was able to use small bags on a daily basis!

As far as I can remember, I always used large or oversized bags except for evenings or formal occassions. Even if they weren't in style then, I feel more secure knowing that I have everything that I need in my bag. Small bags or even medium were never for me.

Interesting observations, seems like I've followed a similar pattern too. I used to carry something MUCH smaller but always attributed the fact that my handbags have gotten bigger as I've had kids (and all their stuff to carry) and the fact that once they aren't babies anymore, our days out are even longer (and hence the need to carry even more, in an even larger bag!). Good to know that my lifestyle actually fits w/ a current trend, that doesn't happen that much! I had no idea I was so hip!;)

I think women carry a lot more "stuff" nowadays. Twenty years ago we didn't have the cell phones, iPods, Blackberrys, water bottles, oversized sunglasses cases, etc., that we carry around now.

It would be hard to go back to a small bag.