Do you regreat a patent flap purchase?

Jun 13, 2014
I have been wanting to get a pre-love flap bag. But, after much indecisiveness on the bags as well as one that didn't work out, my hubby asked me whether I would consider a patent flap.

I have read various threads that mentioned stickiness and color transfer.

Ladies, what are your thoughts? Do you regret your patent purchase?

Thank you so much for your help!!!

I have been wanting to get a pre-love flap bag. But, after much indecisiveness on the bags as well as one that didn't work out, my hubby asked me whether I would consider a patent flap.

I have read various threads that mentioned stickiness and color transfer.

Ladies, what are your thoughts? Do you regret your patent purchase?

Thank you so much for your help!!!

I love my patent bags/wallets/small leather goods. All that is needed is good sense, such as not storing one patent next to another, not leaving them on top of receipts, etc. for color transfer. For maintenance, they are super easy. You just need to read about the proper care/storage and then enjoy them! :smile:

Not at all. It took me a while to get the first because I was afraid but like tutu said I read up on the pointers and I was set. Patent looks so yummy and is easy to maintain. A tip is if you won't use a bag or slg for a while, make sure you put plenty of felt cloths in between the compartments so nothing can stick to each other.

pretty amazed that your husband even knows what a patent flap is!
I was starting to regret my black patent flap purchase (which was my first Chanel purchase ever!) but with the recent arrivals of the patent flaps for 2014, so glad i have it.

Tutu, Poohbag, Foreverclassy, thank you for your input. Really appreciate. Have you ever heard of a patent bag can feel sticky when it is wet? Is it normal? Does yours feel the same way? I know the bag can be sticky if it is an older bag. But, never heard of when it is wet?

Thanks so much!

Tutu, Poohbag, Foreverclassy, thank you for your input. Really appreciate. Have you ever heard of a patent bag can feel sticky when it is wet? Is it normal? Does yours feel the same way? I know the bag can be sticky if it is an older bag. But, never heard of when it is wet?

Thanks so much!

Mine don't feel sticky at all, even ones I've had for 10+ years, and the same with patent bags my mom had that are even older than that. They feel the same as when I bought them, no stickiness and they don't feel wet. I've been caught in the rain with one of them (black) and again, it still feels the same as when I bought it. I don't recommend taking them out in the rain on purpose, as with any color other than black, the water can seep through and stain the leather underneath the top coating. I've even bought vintage (non-Chanel) bags that are from the 40's and 50's and they aren't sticky. It's all in proper care and storage as well as how you treat/where you leave the bag. Shove it in a plastic bag in a humid closet, then yes, you might have issues (although I must disclose that I found some of my mom's this way, and they were fine--I do not recommend this--store in fabric bag not touching any other bag, especially any other patent bag, and if you are living in a super humid place, put those water absorbent thingies in your closet).

Mine don't feel sticky at all, even ones I've had for 10+ years, and the same with patent bags my mom had that are even older than that. They feel the same as when I bought them, no stickiness and they don't feel wet. I've been caught in the rain with one of them (black) and again, it still feels the same as when I bought it. I don't recommend taking them out in the rain on purpose, as with any color other than black, the water can seep through and stain the leather underneath the top coating. I've even bought vintage (non-Chanel) bags that are from the 40's and 50's and they aren't sticky. It's all in proper care and storage as well as how you treat/where you leave the bag. Shove it in a plastic bag in a humid closet, then yes, you might have issues (although I must disclose that I found some of my mom's this way, and they were fine--I do not recommend this--store in fabric bag not touching any other bag, especially any other patent bag, and if you are living in a super humid place, put those water absorbent thingies in your closet).

Tutu, thank you for the info! That has helped ease my mind. Now, I just need to look into more how to take care of the bag and enjoy it! :smile:

pretty amazed that your husband even knows what a patent flap is!

Haha... my husband surprised me with my first Chanel and that's when he did a lot of research on the different Chanel styles. Since then, I have been loving Chanel. I wonder if he regretted getting me the first! It's a slippery slope. :biggrin:

I was starting to regret my black patent flap purchase (which was my first Chanel purchase ever!) but with the recent arrivals of the patent flaps for 2014, so glad i have it.

I am glad you are enjoying it again! :smile:

Patent is an awesome material! It's so easy and looks so fresh. I personally like it better on smaller pieces like WOC, wallet, mini flap. I don't find it to be sticky but I would notice finger prints sometimes. It can just be wiped off though so it's no big deal.

This weird thought just came to mind last night. I am a pretty conservative girl with regular office job. My style is simple (e.g. black dress pants, neutral color/simple pattern blouse and jacket for work with no more than one jewelry at a time). With that being said, I thought patent would add a little bit of "fun" to the outfit. Besides, I already have a black reissue and a black caviar quilted WOC. At the same time, do you think patent fits a more edgy style and not conservative like me? Don't get me wrong. I love the look of patent though now my hubby suggested it. :biggrin: Also, forgot to mention, I am considering a jumbo size patent bag.

What do you think? Will I look out of place? What are you style, ladies?