Do you reapply sunscreen throughout the day even with makeup on??

bibliophile

Newly obsessed
Mar 27, 2008
Hey just wondering how the rest of you deal with this? Basically in the morn before I go to work I put on sunscreen, and then makeup (bobbi brown, no spf) over it. But in the afternoon/eve I sometimes run around outside (and it's scorchingly sunny ALL the damn time here) but don't reapply sunscreen cos I already have makeup on.

I probably should cos obviously the sunscreen would have lost its efficacy after so many hours... but not sure how to go about it? Do I wash my face and take off my makeup and reapply everything all over again after the suncreen's effective window??? But that's insane!! And I would never be able to do that (too lazy).

What do the rest of you do?

Why won't you just buy foundation with sunscreen built in ? My foundation has it built in and it is very convenient - even when I reapply it midday, it's like I am putting even more sunscreen on.

I don't re-apply sunscreen. My moisturizer and my foundation already have SPF in them, so I like to think I'm fine with that only. I can't be sure, though.

When I'm going to be in the sun for any long period of time, I use MAC Prep + Prime w/ spf 50. Other days, I only use a 15. But I keep the Peter Thomas Roth mineral suncreen in my purse just in case. It's a powder built into a brush, so you can dust it on over the top of your makeup and not mess up your face!

I also hate to apply more sunscreen over my make-up. I'm not worried about the make-up I have on my face, I'm worried about clogging pores.

I read that the foundations and powders with spf would have to applied quite heavily in order to get the effect of the spf, so I don't bother with that since I would never use a heavy hand with foundation. Same thing with powdered spf, you would have to use a lot to get the benefit of the spf.

nope. I only wear sunscreen when I dont have a hate on or it is over 100 degrees.
my moisturizer and liquid foundation have spf 20, so I think that is good enough as long as I stay in the shade/ wear a hat. : )

When I'm going to be in the sun for any long period of time, I use MAC Prep + Prime w/ spf 50. Other days, I only use a 15. But I keep the Peter Thomas Roth mineral suncreen in my purse just in case. It's a powder built into a brush, so you can dust it on over the top of your makeup and not mess up your face!

Oh wow thanks! This sounds exactly like something I should be getting. Didn't know there was anything like this out there. Does it feel like an extra layer of makeup/powder though?

Thanks everyone else for answering!

Last edited:
My moisturizer has SPF in it, plus I don't wear any powder/foundation on a regular basis. If I did, though, I'd try to get one with SPF in it.

The MAC Prep + Prime sounds good...

nope. I only wear sunscreen when I dont have a hate on or it is over 100 degrees.
my moisturizer and liquid foundation have spf 20, so I think that is good enough as long as I stay in the shade/ wear a hat. : )
The heat has nothing to do with the UVA, UVB and UVC light, that damage collagen, and DNA resulting to cancer....

I use sunscreen everyday, but I rarely wear make up. I wear make up at night, when going out for dinner or a party.

If you have to wear make up daily, I suggest you take a break in the middle of the day, to remove your make up, and reapply SPF cream and then again your make up.

I think there are SPF sprays that are very light, like water, not oily that you can use to spritz your face with without rubbing. Garnier has one, but it has alcohol in the ingredients.

i am going to bump this thread because i am having a problem with this i put my spf on then foundation then it is said apply two hours after so would i apply more foundation or put the sunscreen on i kno it sounds dumb lol

I would, personally, wash off my makeup before applying anything else.

The first reason being if you live in a city then you will be applying sunscreen over a thin layer of dirt from the air and oil from your skin as well as the layer of makeup.

Secondly, I would be worried that the multiple layer-on-layer of different products would block my pores and cause spots.

Although having said that, if it was me I would leave the house and forget to do it all day. :s

I keep the Peter Thomas Roth mineral suncreen in my purse just in case. It's a powder built into a brush, so you can dust it on over the top of your makeup and not mess up your face!
I keep this in my purse too! I use it whenever I know I'm going to be exposed to sun. During the week I'm mostly in the office so I don't worry about reapplying. But if I'm going to be outside on a longish drive or if I leave work and I'm going to be in the sun or on weekends I use my PTR powder sunscreen that I too keep in my purse. I love it! It's great for taking the oilies away too. It's pretty translucent so it doesn't look makeup-y. At least not to me.