Do you prefer neutrals or brights for your Birkin 35?

Bubblebubble

Sep 29, 2008
I'm debating whether to order a(nother) neutral Birkin 35 or to go for a bright colour when the list opens here in the uk.

I already have a gold with gold HW and a parchemin with paladium HW -- I love these neutral colours, and I love both the etoupe and the gris tourterelle colours, but maybe I should go for a bright colour as I already have 2 neutrals...

Would you go for an etoupe/GT, or say an orange or a vert anis for something bright and different? I wear mostly neutral and beige colours.

I actually love brights in 35s, as it's more like a tote to me and hence has a casual feel and vibe. Looking at your neutral palate for wardrobe (similar to mine) I would go for Rouge Garrance. Orange in a 35 is fab too (but I can't do orange for nuts). If you do not want such a pop in colour, Vert Anis is great too.

I would stick to 30 for the Etoupe and/or Gris T. IMO, too blah (and had to maintain) in a 35.

It´s funny, I got the same problem. I´d say it doesn´t only depend on your wardrobe, but also on your character. Are you sticking to neutrals because they are easy to combine or is it because you don´t want to attract attention?

Although I love bright colours (and sometimes even wear them), I probably wouldn´t go for a birkin in orange or vert anis. They are beautiful purses, no doubt about it, but if you are a "neutral" person, who loves classy elegance, I´m not sure if a bright birkin will really make you happy. I don´t know your means, but I couldn´t "afford" a birkin, which I would only wear a few times per year.

But if you don´t mind standing out in a crowd and you´re not afraid of only wearing it every once in a while, then go for it :tup: Another option, of course would be getting a lindy or kelly. They are not as offensive and expensive as the birkin and come in really nice colours as well.

Sorry for writing so long, but I tried to catch every aspect.
Hope, this was any help at all.;)

I'm in the same situation ..sort of. If I were looking for a birkin, I think I'd go for Gris T or something neutral. When a bag's price point is high, I'd stick to a neutral bag and I satisfy my colour craving by doing brights with my clothes/shoes than my bags. I have to constantly remind myself will I carry a bright bright bag 10 years on?

Or you could go for a subtle bright? Coloured but not bright like jaune, chartruese or vert anis...perhaps rosy or raisin or rose dragee which is light but not bright. Sorry can't help much.

Last edited:
I'm in the same situation ..sort of. If I were looking for a birkin, I think I'd go for Gris T or something neutral. When a bag's price point is high, I'd stick to a neutral bag and I satisfy my colour craving by doing brights with my clothes/shoes than my bags. I have to constantly remind myself will I carry a bright bright bag 10 years on?

Or you could go for a subtle bright? Coloured but not bright like jaune, chartruese or vert anis...perhaps rosy or raisin or rose dragee which is light but not bright. Sorry can't help much.

Just what I was thinking! I'm currently thinking about sticking with a neutral etoupe or GT, and then maybe buying a fun/colour bag from Chanel (i.e. 1/3rd of the price) or a Lindy or Evelyne - something that's still nice but not AS expensive as a Birkin!

:smile: I agree on reserving colours for other bags. the lindy does well in brights.

I think the brightest I'd go is Bleu Jean even though I think the other colours are gorgeous. Since you already have a gold and parchemin (which I love), a colour like Gris T sounds great for you.
What colours are you thinking of at the moment? I love discussing colour choices :P

Last edited:
I agree with the advice given.

I think it's about your personal preferances and your desires. Ok a fushia or vernis can work with black and blue jeans so even if you wear casual, neutral colors a bright color could work so not talking about wardrobe.

I think the important question is will you be happy with the bag in 2, 5, 10, even 20 years in "that color".

At price of the Birkin, I would not buy it in a color that I considered "in fashion" but not truely loved and knew that I would just love the color always.

I made color mistakes with bags, bought becuase it was "fashionable" only to regret it 3 - 6 months later. I think even $2500 is a lot for a bag that I don't "love". I just can't do it but am not saying someone else shouldn't, just think before you leap I guess is what I'm trying to say re color.

My advise is buy what you love, buy it becuase you are drooling over that bag, that color and you know you will love it for a long time.

I do agree that maybe a trial with color in a cheaper bag is a good way to get your feet wet?
Good luck

Here is another thought: If you´re going for a lindy (great purse, wish I had money left over for one like right now), I´d go for orange, jean-blue or Curry. But that also depends on your skintone and haircolour.

I think you should go for the brighter colours....you already have one neutral, so the next in line would be a bright coloured Birkin.

Wish you all the best for your bright coloured hunting!

H makes such beautiful colors that I would urge you to consider one. As everyone says, H has other bags that also look fantastic in bright colors (although I love brights in birkins as well). Vert chartreuse is a "bright" that IMO is a great neutral.

I think that height is also a consideration. As a person who is vertically challenged (5'2"), bright colours in larger bags seem to point out my shortcomings. Neutrals are easier to carry in the 35 for me.

What do you think about purple coloures? Violet or raisin...
I think it's bright and classic at the same time...
And it is perfect with black, grey...and even with your favorite beige (mine too!)...with some scarf in purple colours...

You already have two great neutrals. And with your neutral wardrobe palette, a brighter color would be perfect for you. Especially in Spring and Summer. I wonder whether owning gold, parchemin, etoupe, gris tourterelle etc. will have enough added value for you?

I am a neutrals persons myself. I wear black/grey/white all the time (unless in really sunny periods). I have a Graphite Birkin and have ordered an Etoupe Birkin. As my third Birkin I have ordered... a Soleil Birkin. And since last week I own an Orange Lindy. I've learned that bright colors can be 'neutral', especially if you do not wear a lot of prints and bright colors yourself. You really have to consider hard however, if the bright color is "neutral" enough to wear it in 20 years from now.

I think you cannot go wrong with Blue Jean, Rouge Garrance or Raisin. But even Orange is a great classic (I had never ever thought that I would say this....).

I know that I won't use my bright colored bags every day. And for you it probably goes the same. But I look forward to use a popping color every now and then.

Good luck in making a colorful decision. You go girl!!!