Do you pack your Chanel bags in your check-in luggages?

djrr

O.G.
May 5, 2008
I will be traveling this summer, and I would like to take a few chanel bags with me when I go, I was wondering if anyone here packs their chanels in their check-in luggages? I've heard horrible stories about designer bags being stolen at airports (by airport employees) and a friend of mine has a similar experience, too.

Back when I only have other designer brands like prada, dior... etc. I used to pack them into check-in luggages (inside dust bags) and nothing ever really happened to them. But after hearing all these stories... I'm kinda worried. Should I just pack them into my carry-on luggage? But then I'm afraid I won't be able to fit much into a carry-on. Any experiences or suggestions are welcome, thank you!

carry on all the way. A friend of mine got her engagement ring stolen from an airport when it was in checked luggage. Plus TSA randomly goes through checked luggage and doesn't exactly put everything back as you packed it and your bag may get damaged if this happens.

I'd pack some clothes in your chanel bags (to keep shape and utilize the space), put them in their dustbags and into carryons. Or you can put your bags in loose tote or something since you're allowed on with a carryon and a smaller item...I've done that before and just used a shopping bag to put my handbags and valuables so they're under my feet and not in the overhead bin (sometimes people push things around and stuff).

Agreed, I've always carried Chanels and jewellery. Even if you pack well, think of how they throw and bash that luggage around. At least if its with you carried on, along with other valuables such as jewellery you have peace of mind :smile:

seems like the consensus so far is to go carry-on!
it's a little annoying to not be able to lock ur check-in luggages.

nancyxwu thanks for the tips! putting clothes in bags will definitely help save space and keep the bags in shape at the same time (taking notes now)

i just know they do go thru your stuff. i recently took a flight round trip to HK. and i just know they searched my luggage.
for peace of mind, i would do carry on. i saw a couple of ladies just carry their chanels with them. if you are bringing a lot, make sure put your purses in your dust bags.

I understand your dilemma, I used to keep all my Chanels home safe & sound and not bring them when I travelled. However, I've recently convinced myself that after spending so much $ on Chanels, it makes sense to be able to use them whenever I want to & not hide them inside the closet. So I started with bringing a Chanel flap in my Carry-on. But I'm getting bolder these days and my packing list grows bigger, its nice to be able to access all the beautiful things we own even when we are on the road! On occassional trips, I also love to bring extra pair of Chrsitian Louboutin, Chanel flap plus WOC, jacket, belt, and some CJs thus I had no choice but to check them in. Thank God, nothing missing or lost so far!

If you plan to bring a few Chanel bags, the carry-on may not fit.

seems like the consensus so far is to go carry-on!
it's a little annoying to not be able to lock ur check-in luggages.

nancyxwu thanks for the tips! putting clothes in bags will definitely help save space and keep the bags in shape at the same time (taking notes now)

another suggestion would be a large nylon Longchamp duffel, instead of shopping bags. its flat packed, zipped-enclose, fits in a jumbo when you don't need it, sturdy and light as a feather!

i'm actually too late to realize these must-have of a tote... could protect your bags too if you don't want placing them directly on the x-ray conveyor belt. or for emergencies like rain, or from splashing sea water in a boat ride while traveling to diff islands... the possibilities are endless :amuse: