Do you own any "beater/workhorse" bags?

Icing_Time

Feb 19, 2016
Would love to hear about your personal "beater"/workhorse bags! Any particular brands/models you go for? Bags can either be lower tiered, or extra durable/worry-free luxe that you don't mind using a lot and don't need to baby.

Personally I love using my black Coach 27 Swaggers as my work horses. They are pretty durable and can carry heavy items inside, no problem.

In the future I would love to invest in something coated canvas - either a Gucci Messenger or an LV Messenger.

Last edited:
My Dooney satchels in Dillen and calf leathers, older Tignanello bags (newer ones seem lower quality), and a satchel from the Etsy shop "TheLeatherStore" (leather scratches easily, but I think they are meant to look worn).

Reactions: alphagam1904
My Fossil Sydney Satchel is perfect for just this- I don't have to worry about a thing, it just keeps on rolling! Fossil is on the less expensive side, so even if something was to happen to it at this point, I don't think I'd be terribly upset given all of the use I've gotten out of it. With a more expensive bag, I would certainly be more upset. Love this idea for a thread!

Canvas totes from tourist-y places! I love using them when I go to the coffee shop to do work. My two favorites are from the Tate and from Newport Jazz Festival. Very hipster of me, I know! I had one from Lucky Brand with a crossbody strap I used to use for everything, before I got into bags. It could withstand so much weight it was crazy and it was great in the rain. I've been meaning to sew a crossbody strap into my other totes, but I think I might just buy a crossbody bag from Baggu. They have great canvas totes.

:-s *Embarassed* Yes I do have a ‘beater’ bag, it’s a Mulberry Bayswater that sadly did not age well after less than one year (badly scuffed corners, piping is probably going to show wear very soon—in spite of caring for it well with Collonil, not getting it wet, etc))
It’s a beautiful bag but i probably won’t be buying another Mulberry soon.

:-s *Embarassed* Yes I do have a ‘beater’ bag, it’s a Mulberry Bayswater that sadly did not age well after less than one year (badly scuffed corners, piping is probably going to show wear very soon—in spite of caring for it well with Collonil, not getting it wet, etc))
It’s a beautiful bag but i probably won’t be buying another Mulberry soon.
I'm slowly saving for a Bayswater but after reading about so many of them not handling well at all, I'm not so sure. I don't like owning things that have to be babied, and it sounds like the Bayswater needs that to even *maybe* make it :/

Would love to hear about your personal "beater"/workhorse bags! Any particular brands/models you go for? Bags can either be lower tiered, or extra durable/worry-free luxe that you don't mind using a lot and don't need to baby.

Personally I love using my black Coach 27 Swaggers as my work horses. They are pretty durable and can carry heavy items inside, no problem.

In the future I would love to invest in something coated canvas - either a Gucci Messenger or an LV Messenger.
I tried on the recently updated version of the Coach Swagger 27 in black today. I liked it a lot and it seemed very durable and well made.

My Longchamp Le Pliage Expandable Tote! I’ve had it for years! It has survived numerous trips, rainy weather, and is now my daily second bag... i had a baby a few months ago and I have to bring all my pump essentials with me on a daily basis. When this finally falls apart and dies (which I don’t see happening anytime soon, it’s so durable), I will buy another one just like it.

I'm slowly saving for a Bayswater but after reading about so many of them not handling well at all, I'm not so sure. I don't like owning things that have to be babied, and it sounds like the Bayswater needs that to even *maybe* make it :/
Mulberry makes beautiful bags for sure but for me, the rate at which the leather ages so quickly, the problems I’ve personally encountered with my other Mulberry bag I’ve had in the past (ie melting glazing on my Roxanne) made me finally switch over to Louis Vuitton. You really have to baby your Bayswater if you get in in oak color (ie Colonil spray is a must).
I I don’t know, maybe I just haven’t had the best of luck with Mulberry. There are certainly Mulberry owners who haven’t had the number of problems I’ve had with my bags.

That’s not to say that LV doesn’t have faulty bags—they do! But I swear that they wear like iron, especially the canvas and Epi lines. For example, I’m still using my mono canvas Zippy wallet from 2012 and it looks great!

You should check out the Bayswater in person if you can! HTH