Do you need to use or expose leather bags often?

Mizchic86

Jan 26, 2018
I have a couple of chanel leather handbags that are displayed in my closet covered in their own dust bags. I don’t use them quite often only on special occasions since i don’t go out much. I was wondering if they are stored and displayed for too long, can the leather crack or ruin over time due to it being unused? I just heard from a friend i should expose it to avoid this but i just haven’t had the chance for over three years. I live in north america by the way where the weather is usually cold. Thanks for your inputs!

Hi :smile: I have not heard of bags getting damaged due to too little use. But of course you still should care for them even if they are not used often, that means proper storage (stuff your bags so they can't get cracks and wrinkles, store them upright, make sure the handles are not bent in a weird way and so on) and regular maintenance (depending on the leather type and the care instructions; I use a little bit of leather conditioner once in a while on my smooth leather bags, if they get used or not).

Reactions: Mizchic86
I have a couple of chanel leather handbags that are displayed in my closet covered in their own dust bags. I don’t use them quite often only on special occasions since i don’t go out much. I was wondering if they are stored and displayed for too long, can the leather crack or ruin over time due to it being unused? I just heard from a friend i should expose it to avoid this but i just haven’t had the chance for over three years. I live in north america by the way where the weather is usually cold. Thanks for your inputs!
There could be some truth in this. I didn’t use my caviar boy for a couple of years and it was stored in its dust bag in my wardrobe. I then noticed that the black leather had started to discolour and turn a bronze colour! I just can’t figure out how this happened but maybe that’s why.

Hi :smile: I have not heard of bags getting damaged due to too little use. But of course you still should care for them even if they are not used often, that means proper storage (stuff your bags so they can't get cracks and wrinkles, store them upright, make sure the handles are not bent in a weird way and so on) and regular maintenance (depending on the leather type and the care instructions; I use a little bit of leather conditioner once in a while on my smooth leather bags, if they get used or not).
Thanks for the info! What leather conditioner do you use?

Reactions: Mairaculi
Thanks for the info! What leather conditioner do you use?
Sure, I use the leather conditioner by Coach, they recommend it for all of their smooth leather bags, and I used it on bags from other brands sucessfully. I can definitely recommend it. Still, it might be a good idea to do some research on what is recommended for the specific types of leather your Chanel bags are made from. And never use this kind of cream conditioner on velour or brushed leather. Good luck! :smile:

Sure, I use the leather conditioner by Coach, they recommend it for all of their smooth leather bags, and I used it on bags from other brands sucessfully. I can definitely recommend it. Still, it might be a good idea to do some research on what is recommended for the specific types of leather your Chanel bags are made from. And never use this kind of cream conditioner on velour or brushed leather. Good luck! :smile:
Great! Will do :smile:

Do you use the coach conditioner on the caviar leather? I thought about it but afraid to use.

Do you use the coach conditioner on the caviar leather? I thought about it but afraid to use.
I use it on bags made from grained calfskin, what Chanel calls caviar. This leather needs little maintenance, so if it's in good condition already I just use a tiny amount of the product (I think it's called leather moisturizer) on a soft cloth and gently buff it in. I think if it doesn't work it's more likely due to false application, especially too much product, than the product itself. So I'd say it definitely works for caviar leather really well, it even removed color transfer on a light colored bag.
But I'm not a Chanel leather expert, maybe additionally browse this care thread if you're not sure, I know many wrote there they use Coach products on their caviar bags:
(but some people write there they clean their bags with a damp cloth, I would not do that)

Reactions: Lovebargain1
Hi ,I think it's good to take the bags out of their dust bags to air once a month .I am also v afraid of my bags spoiling as I live in a humid country .i have had slight mould on my LVs leather straps before! .still researching on what's the best way to store bags .

I use it on bags made from grained calfskin, what Chanel calls caviar. This leather needs little maintenance, so if it's in good condition already I just use a tiny amount of the product (I think it's called leather moisturizer) on a soft cloth and gently buff it in. I think if it doesn't work it's more likely due to false application, especially too much product, than the product itself. So I'd say it definitely works for caviar leather really well, it even removed color transfer on a light colored bag.
But I'm not a Chanel leather expert, maybe additionally browse this care thread if you're not sure, I know many wrote there they use Coach products on their caviar bags:
(but some people write there they clean their bags with a damp cloth, I would not do that)
Thanks a lot for the information. I use the coach conditioner on other leather bags, for caviar leather always use damp cloth. I read somewhere that you can't treat the Chanel caviar. Your response give me a peace of mind. After saw some pictures of caviar leather peeling, now I feel no matter what kinds of leather, it is like our skin, maybe need some cream to protect.