Do you mind buying a display model??

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. #1 Oct 21, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
    Hello all,
    I'm new here and am looking forward to buying my first-ever LV handbag. (I'm interested in a Speedy 30 in Damier Ebene or an Eva in .... I don't know what yet.) OK, as you all know, they are never in stock! I can't believe it, I finally get the nerve up to buy one, and there aren't ever any in the stores!
    Anyhow, I was talking to an employee at the big LV store and she explained that they have only been getting one or two of each item at a time, so that when you choose a bag, you most likely will have to buy the display item because that's all they have.
    Hmmmph, don't know about you, but when I buy a really special item, I'm not crazy about buying a display model!

With this big LV shortage going on, am I just going to have to forget about being so picky?

2. not picky at all. at minimum you're paying $500 for a bag; likely it's more around 1k. when i bought the alma a few weeks back, i was lucky enough to be able to pick between the 2 in the store. i picked the one that was still in its wrappings because the other one WAS the display model and it had a slight stain on the vachetta. barely noticeable, but i will notice. and so will my sharp eyed mom, for whom it was a gift

3. I bought the amarante vernis zippy wallet two weeks ago, and that's the same thing the SA told me. They had BOTH on display, but she said they had received them 24 hours previously, so not many people - if any - had touched them. I looked both them over, they were both flawless and figured I'd rather just take one home than wait however many months and till they're well stocked to buy it.

Especially with the speedy, there are so many people waiting for one that I'm sure the second they put it on display it's purchased so it's not like it'll be handled by many people before you buy it.

4. if its the last bag in the store,,and hard to come across,,,than definitly YES!!

5. I have bought display bags a couple of times and never thought much about it until I read on here that it bothers people. Once it was the only one in the store and I was not willing to wait on another. Another time the SA brought a new BH from the back for me and I commented that it had a little patina. Her answer was that it had been out under the store lights. So even if you think you're getting a non-display, it may have been on display at one time. It doesn't really bother me, though, because I inspect the heck out of them (and ignore the toe-tapping SA because I take so long). I figure that many people have handled them in the manufacturing, shipping, and unpacking anyway.

6. Thank you all for your comments, you make some good points!! And it is true that these days the display models have probably not been out for very long, lol. Matter of fact, the clerk actually told me I'd have better luck shopping at the LV store first thing in the morning, before stuff sells out. Cracked me up -- am I shopping for a fancy handbag or donuts????

7. I don't mind getting a dispay bag as long as it's in excellent condition.

8. If it's in an excellent condition + the store guarantee that I can return the bag if I find anything marks or scratches on it. I would consider of buying it, especially if I really wants the bag / it's LE. Other than that, I would rather wait (=

9. It depends on the situation for me. If it is the one and only in the whole company and they definitely would not be making anymore & it's in new condition, then I have no problems buying it. But if it's something that has vachetta on it and it's gotten some color on it already... I definitely wouldn't. . . . guess it just depends on how much wear & tear and how much it looks like it has been handled.

I have seen one guy at the store who got the Vernis Alma PM for his wife as a present and had the sense to ask for a new one. *so proud* and he was told it was the one and only and they won't be getting any shipment anytime soon. So he checked the bag like he was checking out a bed for bedbugs! *so proud again*

10. Never in a million years would I buy display...the thought of it being handled by a few people is a feeling I just choose not to have. AND it gives me an excuse to not spend my money if there's not one in stock in the back.

11. With the shortage (which I'm convinced isn't really a shortage at all, but just a marketing scheme), you have to take what you can get. If there is a bag you want, and you've been waiting for it or have been wanting it forever, then you need to jump on the chance to get it while you can. And, like candiebear said, the bags are only in the store for a day or two, so no one is really going to have touched it. Not like before when the bags were just sitting in the window or on the shelf, getting patina and not looking so great.

12. :lolots: donuts!! hhaha

I have never bought a display purse...i like to get mine fresh out of the back.

but like others have said, with this ridiculous shortage....i may have to not be so picky :shrugs:

13. Well, I have an UPDATE! Believe it or not, today I snagged a Speedy 30 in Damier Ebene!! I've been in that darn LV store half a dozen times and they never have one. But I was passing by today, and saw one that had just been put out on display. Another customer was looking at it, but walked away. So I swooped on it and the thing had just been taken out of the box.

I had to get it, right? I was teasing the nice SA's, asking if they had a special ceremony or secret handshake for me if I bought my first ever LV. The guy said "No, but I'm on the cellphone here with someone in Connecticut who wants it if you don't buy it." I got the nice box, shopping bag, the whole bit, and the employees were very nice.

I can't believe it, just last night I registered here on the forum, and today I finally got my bag!

Is this purse forum karma, or what???

14. Not necessarily. Usually the store displays have a nice even patina, but on the other hand, you run the risk of buying a bag that has been handled rough.

It's a win-lose situation buying displays.

15. my boyfriend got me a Speedy 40 last week, all the other 4 LV stores he went to are out of stock with that model, the only store who has it, is the display piece, so he bought it even though it is a display piece. getting the display bag is fine with me since it is in a very good condition, and based from the datecode, it was just manufactured like a month or 2 ago, anyway one thing that bothers me is that it doesn't come with the product id card (the one with the model/serial number).. it just came with the other card that has the textile and leather info.. is this normal with display bags?