Do you match your jewelry to your bag's hardware?

This probably will seem odd, but if the bag is PHW I wear whatever, but have so much silver/WG that it’s usually that. But I do have a few GHW bags that I almost always wear matching jewelry. Funny but that‘s how it winds up. GHW is less forgiving in terms of mismatch, in my opinion. If I have to wear a certain silver piece, I will wear a multi/mixed stack of rings to blend the look.

I personally don't like to wear too much gold at once. It's just easy to overdo it. Maybe it works better on other people than me.

I don’t feel it’s important for my bag hardware to match my jewelry (mostly yellow gold). But once I add in hardware on my shoes or belt, I prefer to keep it consistent with my bag. Not sure why that would matter though..

TPFers do you match the tone of your jewellery to your bag hardware?

I'm pretty strictly a yellow gold girl, and majority of my bags have gold hardware. However I have been lusting after a Birkin in Blue Jean since forever and I'm hoping to make this purchase in the next year or so. I'm now in a pickle as I've noticed majority that come up for sale have the silver tone/palladium hardware as opposed to gold, and.... confusingly I think I almost prefer the colour against palladium rather than the gold tone. Problem here is that I'm very OCD and don't want to risk not reaching for a bag of that price point because of the hardware colour.

Anyone else here like this?

TPFers do you match the tone of your jewellery to your bag hardware?

I'm pretty strictly a yellow gold girl, and majority of my bags have gold hardware. However I have been lusting after a Birkin in Blue Jean since forever and I'm hoping to make this purchase in the next year or so. I'm now in a pickle as I've noticed majority that come up for sale have the silver tone/palladium hardware as opposed to gold, and.... confusingly I think I almost prefer the colour against palladium rather than the gold tone. Problem here is that I'm very OCD and don't want to risk not reaching for a bag of that price point because of the hardware colour.

Anyone else here like this?
I think you've answered your own question with the last sentence. Some people are really insistent on everything matching and others mix. If you've never been comfortable with mixing metals before I'm not sure you'll ever be... and that's totally fine. Another option is to sport one or two pieces of jewelry that contain the two metals?

I personally love mixing metals because I think when done right it looks very 'naturally' chic (as though the person doesn't try too hard to look perfect if that makes sense). I have a silver and gold ring for example that I basically wear daily which along with my wedding band that is diamond/platinum, kind of helps to tie everything together. I'll be honest though, I basically wear the same jewelry everyday so maybe I'm not a good example. Also, I may not be as chic as I would like to think :lol:

I don't really feel I have much of a choice sometimes. For example, I have a Lady Dior that has gold hardware. The color of the bag is great, the shape is great, but I'm not nuts about gold. So I just work around it. I'd rather have the bag I love and just deal with the hardware than only buy bags with hardware I love.

I think you've answered your own question with the last sentence. Some people are really insistent on everything matching and others mix. If you've never been comfortable with mixing metals before I'm not sure you'll ever be... and that's totally fine. Another option is to sport one or two pieces of jewelry that contain the two metals?

I personally love mixing metals because I think when done right it looks very 'naturally' chic (as though the person doesn't try too hard to look perfect if that makes sense). I have a silver and gold ring for example that I basically wear daily which along with my wedding band that is diamond/platinum, kind of helps to tie everything together. I'll be honest though, I basically wear the same jewelry everyday so maybe I'm not a good example. Also, I may not be as chic as I would like to think :lol:
Firstly, whoever merged this - thankyou! I was searching a couldn't find a thread like this.

@CBZ it's like you know me! I don't know if it's something I will be ever be quite comfortable with. I also don't experiment with it because I'm allergic to silver, and because I think YG looks better on my skin tone I don't have a single piece of WG to play with.

The other thing that prompted my thoughts on mixing metals too is that my SO and I have spoken about getting married. I would love to have a solitaire aquamarine ring and of every design I've looked at it, it's looks much nicer set in WG/Platinum, YG doesn't do much for the colour of the stone and almost makes it looks cheap *cringe* so I figure at some point in time I probably need to come around to mixing it up.

My current thoughts are I would like it to look deliberate. In my opinion just one WG piece and then everything else YG doesn't work, but if I added a bangle etc to the ring then just *maybe* I'd be okay with it. And then double bonus I couldn't get the bag with the palladium hardware too!

Goes without saying your styling sounds very chic!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: CBZ
My current thoughts are I would like it to look deliberate. In my opinion just one WG piece and then everything else YG doesn't work, but if I added a bangle etc to the ring then just *maybe* I'd be okay with it. And then double bonus I couldn't get the bag with the palladium hardware too!
I once read about the rule of threes (i.e. if you're wearing a white gold bracelet and a yellow gold bracelet, you should add a third bracelet in either WG or YG so it looks like a deliberate set instead of just two random bracelets). I think it's a valid idea.

• Love
Reactions: Brits'n'Pieces
I used to be really anal about matching hardware to jewelry, buttons on clothes, buckles on shoes etc. I used to have to have everything match. In the last couple of years I've relaxed a bit and will mix metals, although I still love everything matching.

Reactions: Brits'n'Pieces
I don’t worry about matching at all when it comes to the hardware on bags, because I think the colour/leather/style of the bag chooses its own hardware and that is the combination that is most noticeable rather than whether the bag hardware matches a piece of jewellery. But I am in the camp that doesn’t like to be too matchy-matchy. :smile:

Sounds like there is hope for me! Haha
I was also anal about all metals in my home matching. Toilet bowl flusher had to match metal on doorknobs, etc. Loosened up about that as well (particularly since decorators are all cheering on mixing metals). It's actually kind of freeing, and frankly, I don't think anyone other than someone as equally anal as me notices.