do you match wallet to bag

MissMargaux

TooMuchTrouble
O.G.
Aug 17, 2008
Ok, I have another question please.

Since I'm considering buying a Kelly Wallet, if I can get one, does the wallet have to match the bag?

Right now I don't have an H wallet, and my wallet is a Tod's leopard print. It's similar to the Kelly but the Kelly would work better (not becuase it's an H alone) because of the extra slots.

Ok, so does the color have to match the bag? I mean, I have a black birkin and an Olive Birkin and just got a BdP Evelyne and who knows what I'll find in Paris? I personally can't afford to buy a wallet to match every color bag, nor would I want to, I'd rather save the money and buy one wallet and scarves or put it towards another bag?

Thanks for your opinions

I don't match mine because I like having a rainbow of leathers and colors. :yes:
However, every time I see someone with a great collection of accessories in the same color as their bags, I think how beautiful and soothing it is. Too many choices. :biggrin:

Hi MissMargaux!

I'm sure you will find different opinions here, but in your shoes I'd look for a wallet that looks good with your bags but not necessarily the same color (I'll leave it up to the other H experts to tell you what those might be...but I'm thinking of something in the gold tones...). If you are specifically wanting the Kelly long wallet, which can also be used as a clutch by itself, then you might want to think about the best color for that use, as well.

I can understand your position. I've been debating on which Kelly wallet to get, myself...

Ok, I have another question please.

Since I'm considering buying a Kelly Wallet, if I can get one, does the wallet have to match the bag?

Right now I don't have an H wallet, and my wallet is a Tod's leopard print. It's similar to the Kelly but the Kelly would work better (not becuase it's an H alone) because of the extra slots.

Ok, so does the color have to match the bag? I mean, I have a black birkin and an Olive Birkin and just got a BdP Evelyne and who knows what I'll find in Paris? I personally can't afford to buy a wallet to match every color bag, nor would I want to, I'd rather save the money and buy one wallet and scarves or put it towards another bag?

Thanks for your opinions
I live in the northern US, and my wardrobe and my bags tend to be in deeper neutral tones. So I get my kicks from my beloved wallets! I love pairing "shot-of-color" wallets with my more neutral bags--what a pleasure each time I pull one out. I too have bags in black and olive, plus browns. I personally deeply prefer a contrasting wallet, and one with more color than I normally wear.

By the way, feel free to pm me before leaving for Paris. For work (and pleasure) I go over often (embarrassed to say how often, but let's say the flight attendants and I recognize each other)--maybe I can help with ideas!

Go for color!

Last edited:
I wouldn't think it HAS to match. I always see Nicky Hilton with the same multi-color LV wallet regardless of her bag.
Why not get a small wallet that holds just the cards you really NEED and a place for some $ that way it's not so much "wallet."

Anyone who loves your Kelly will appreciate the quality of your wallet/bag regardless of the color(s).

I started out matching wallets to bag, and have found that to be far less interesting than playing with color. Based on your current bags, perhaps something in the blue family would be be nice. You might want to take a look at the new color Blue Paon.

I don't match mine because when I change bags out I want it to be done fast. If I had to switch out my wallet, I think it'd just be too much of a pain.

I have a rainbow of colors inside my bag so it doesn't matter if my wallet matches or not... everything is an array of colors so my wallet is just one of those colors.

Since you're fairly new here, I'm not sure if you've seen this thread....http://forum.purseblog.com/hermes/rainbow-of-colors-inside-your-h-bag-51749.html

Last edited:
no they never match my bag because i never change my wallet.. i buy one wallet per year and i use it throughout the whooole year, never changing it i just throw it in whichever bag im using.. right now im in love with the kelly wallet too! i wish i bought it when i was in paris but hopefully i will soon.. i want a pop-color but not one that could stain fast (so maybe i'll get it one of the darker colors)

No matching.
I wear black and dark neutrals; most of my bags are the same colors. I like a pop of color inside plus it is easier to find the wallet (that said, my current wallet, an LV epi leather, is black, is at least a decade old, so it predates my H obsession by a year or two, and still in great shape).

I like to have a choice of color, generally falling within a color suitable for "fall/winter" or "spring/summer". I rarely ever buy a wallet because I am looking to match the bag. The only exception is with a truly exceptional color...like an exotic hue. For example, I purchased a rouge H box bearn wallet earlier this year, but have yet to use it. It's just too dark and warm for my bright summer bags. Let's face it, cyclamen and rouge H? yuck. :sick: So, I have a summery wallet that pretty much matches everything. I am getting excited to change wallets soon! ;)

MM, Since I would love to create a H rainbow - I would buy a wallet
from a different color family then the bag. If the bag was Blue Jean,
I might go for a vert anis wallet. ;)

I don't even use an H wallet, mine is Paul Smith like this

948.jpg

When I carried only Chanel I matched my wallets to the bags. When I began carrying Hermes I went for the "rainbow" look. I have TOO MANY H wallets, I really have to sell some!!!! I just love the POP colors in my H collection.
I did however purchase Crimson her own matching wallet :smile:.
So I guess in answering your question, I would say go with a fun color not a matching color.

thank you everyone. I too was hopeing for this response. I can't afford to match my wallets and even if I could I would not want the bother. I like the rainbow idea.

Thanks everyone

Perigord I will PM thank you that is very kind and most appreciated.