Do you live a "croc life"???

I have a couple of croc bags, but although my life is pretty casual-Friday every day, they definitely get to go out for a spin. They're as perfect with jeans and tees a la Shopmom as they are with more formal ensembles, but I wouldn't carry them while wearing sneakers or exercise gear.

Great questions !! I'm just thinking about the same thing when I put one down on the Genie list....
My life would be also too casual for a Croc bag now...but still it's "dream" bag :P..but I've already got myself thinking when and how I will use it..maybe a special night out with DH or family dinner..but these are just so ahead of me..I'm prob. not ready for one YET..for now I have a CDC bracelet..and a wallet (other brand)..would like to start with more small Croc items first before I take the jump to bags :shame:

No croc yet~I'm kinda worried about the summer humidity here.
Wondering about tpfers who do not take your crocs to the grocery store/Costco/etc -- do you go home and specifically change your bag, then go shopping and return home to put your things back in your croc bag?? Or do you plan ahead for the day??

Thinking about Genie croc wishes and other gorgeous bags... :love:

Does croc H work in your life? Do you have a croc life? Would croc "work" in your life context???

I don't think I live a croc life...too casual... :shrugs: I think the only croc I might carry would be the jige...a funky little clutch... :yes:

Maybe a kelly...maybe...but I am afraid she would sit in her box and cry...

Hmmm...I don't know... If you own/covet exotics...how often do you/would you carry them??? Special occasion, every day, related circumstances???

It'll definitely depend on how many exotic bags I have and how many other bags I have. If the exotic bag is the only bag that I have on hand, then I'll be carrying it everyday. If not, then I most likely will rotate it with other bags. If I own a croc H bag, then it'll depend on what type of bag it is. If it's a Birkin, I can see myself using it outside of work. If it's a croc Kelly, then it's only for special occasions ...

So in a nutshell, IF my work permits it (which most likely won't happen unless I am an exec level person at an I-Banking firm) and I have a croc Birkin, I'll carry it every single day.

You know, I keep having this vague memory about croc that back In The Day, it WAS casual. I still have boxes of my dear mother's books in the garage, and I am pretty darn sure that in the original printing of "Elegance" by Genevieve Antoine Dariaux, she said croc was for daytime - she might even have used the word "sport" - saying it was ironic considering that it was so expensive that it wasn't dressy. Interestingly, the recent reprint of this book lacks that dictum, which may mean things have changed. I know mom - always beautifully turned out - had a stunning non-H brown croc bag that she carried while wearing tailored clothes. The most dressed up she got while carrying it was wearing a perfectly tailored suit (by Irene, if that means anything to any of you - we're talking the '50s here) and plain heels - and it was a daytime suit, she wouldn't have worn it in the evening. She also carried it while wearing tailored trousers and flats. Wish I could find the original book! So I say - be old-fashioned! I think croc looks fantastic with tailored casual clothes!

SoCal - I am in the minority here. I actually turned down a Croc that my husband had wanted to get for me. I just couldn't wrap my mind around using it often enough to justify the cost. It seems very formal to me and I was uncomfortable even holding it in the store. To this day I do not regret my decision. For some reason I love regular leathers (I don't carry ostrich either). I think Croc in watch straps, wallet, belt and or shoes is just fine for me and I've had some in each.

BTW the bag in question was a red Kelly in glazed croc. (Think the movie LeDivorce) I was shown a black glazed wallet the same day to entice me to maybe just switch colors but even in black I couldn't stomach it. For me, I prefer being more "under the radar". An H bag gets me enough attention. Croc just begs to be noticed. Perhaps I will change later on in life but for now I shrinked away from the commitment and it is a commitment at that price.

SoCal - I am in the minority here. I actually turned down a Croc that my husband had wanted to get for me. I just couldn't wrap my mind around using it often enough to justify the cost. It seems very formal to me and I was uncomfortable even holding it in the store. To this day I do not regret my decision. For some reason I love regular leathers (I don't carry ostrich either). I think Croc in watch straps, wallet, belt and or shoes is just fine for me and I've had some in each.

BTW the bag in question was a red Kelly in glazed croc. (Think the movie LeDivorce) I was shown a black glazed wallet the same day to entice me to maybe just switch colors but even in black I couldn't stomach it. For me, I prefer being more "under the radar". An H bag gets me enough attention. Croc just begs to be noticed. Perhaps I will change later on in life but for now I shrinked away from the commitment and it is a commitment at that price.

Gazoo...You expressed my reservations exactly!!! Perhaps it is Southern California??? I just cannot imagine myself carrying a croc bag...yes to shoes, belt, etc...but not a bag...well, anything but a clutch that is...it just seems over the top??? Perhaps it is my daily 3" heels...heels plus a croc bag in SoCal just seems...wrong??? Like...HERE I AM WITH MY BLING BAG!!! For some reason I picture "enhanced" breasts or a Hollywood wife here... And I am so uncomfortable with that game... The croc bags are works of art...I suppose, like all, it is a contextual and personal "thing"... Okay...I will comfortably be in the minority with you and enjoy croc bags on others...

socal, I think it is the west coast in general. I'm up in the seattle area and I spend lots of time in Portland and I think croc would be very noticed except in the dressiest of events. Maybe a matte in a darker color could be dressed down but the west coast is so darn casual that anything slightly dressy looks out of place in the everyday world. I've been carrying my ostrich a lot lately but it is brown with dark brown accents (spots) and almost has a weathered look so it looks pretty casual. I think a croc in a hand held clutch for evening would be perfect, but then again a darker color 30 birkin would be lovely too. Oh well.

Gazoo...You expressed my reservations exactly!!! Perhaps it is Southern California??? I just cannot imagine myself carrying a croc bag...yes to shoes, belt, etc...but not a bag...well, anything but a clutch that is...it just seems over the top??? Perhaps it is my daily 3" heels...heels plus a croc bag in SoCal just seems...wrong??? Like...HERE I AM WITH MY BLING BAG!!! For some reason I picture "enhanced" breasts or a Hollywood wife here... And I am so uncomfortable with that game... The croc bags are works of art...I suppose, like all, it is a contextual and personal "thing"... Okay...I will comfortably be in the minority with you and enjoy croc bags on others...

Well I'll be right here beside you admiring the crocs on the lovely people around us while we kick up our croc heels, check our croc watches and gleefully worship our fabulous leather bags! :graucho:

This weekend on Rodeo Drive I saw a lovely woman (late 30's to early 40's) with a wine colored 30cm Glazed Croc Birkin. It was beautiful and she looked comfy carrying it. Although I admired it I did not covet it. It didn't take my breath away like a black Birkin with gold hardware does (I only have a black with palladium) or a Chevre anything. I guess we're just simple girls. :love:

You know, I keep having this vague memory about croc that back In The Day, it WAS casual. I still have boxes of my dear mother's books in the garage, and I am pretty darn sure that in the original printing of "Elegance" by Genevieve Antoine Dariaux, she said croc was for daytime - she might even have used the word "sport" - saying it was ironic considering that it was so expensive that it wasn't dressy. Interestingly, the recent reprint of this book lacks that dictum, which may mean things have changed. I know mom - always beautifully turned out - had a stunning non-H brown croc bag that she carried while wearing tailored clothes. The most dressed up she got while carrying it was wearing a perfectly tailored suit (by Irene, if that means anything to any of you - we're talking the '50s here) and plain heels - and it was a daytime suit, she wouldn't have worn it in the evening. She also carried it while wearing tailored trousers and flats. Wish I could find the original book! So I say - be old-fashioned! I think croc looks fantastic with tailored casual clothes!

I have something like 3 copies of this book! I love it. The book is from 1964, and specifically, she mentions alligator several times, doesn't mention croc that I could find anywhere. She says "I see a woman carry an alligator handbag with a dressy ensemble merely because she has paid an enormous sum of money for it. Alligator is strictly for sports or travel, shoes as well as bags, and this respected reptile should be permitted to retire every evening at 5 pm."

In the section on Leathers, she says "Alligator. The most expensive of all, which does not necessarily mean the most elegant. Perfect for traveling and mornings in town, it should never be worn as a bag or shoes with a dressy ensemble. Very stiff in women's shoes, and terribly nouveau riche in men's shoes. The smartest shades are: black, brown, gold, beige, blond, and red."

The author was the director of Nina Ricci at the time of publication, and was quite the Hermes fan.

OMG! ^^ My husband wants a croc pair of shoes. I'll have to tell him the "nouveau riche" comment. :wtf:

Yes. You can let him know that 1964 wouldn't like his new shoes.

You should read her comments on evening bags, various leathers, Snobs, and how to deal with the handicap of extreme height. :roflmfao: :roflmfao: :roflmfao:

But...You gotta love a woman who says that as her taste has grown, she's pretty much only carries Hermes and Roberta diCamerino.

"I see a woman carry an alligator handbag with a dressy ensemble merely because she has paid an enormous sum of money for it. Alligator is strictly for sports or travel, shoes as well as bags, and this respected reptile should be permitted to retire every evening at 5 pm."

In the section on Leathers, she says "Alligator. The most expensive of all, which does not necessarily mean the most elegant. Perfect for traveling and mornings in town, it should never be worn as a bag or shoes with a dressy ensemble. Very stiff in women's shoes, and terribly nouveau riche in men's shoes. The smartest shades are: black, brown, gold, beige, blond, and red."

Thanks gga. It's wonderful reading.