Do you like the Saumur?

hello
i bought a pre-loved saumur and after a week, i found it really annoying. i think the buckle should of been a magnetic snap buckle to get things out faster. I really never liked the concept of flipping the bag to get what i wanted on top of having to undo the buckle. also, since it was pre-loved, i also found that the wear will be most prominent, if not first on the bags strap from all the twisting to get your stuff out of the other side of the bag and re-flipping.

I had one and it does hold alot but it drove me crazy trying to get in and out of it. I would want my wallet and unbuckle the wrong side. I finally gave it to my sister and she loves it and wears it well.

my mom has a similar bag, sorry i dont know the name -its a couple yrs old and they dont make it anymore. but her bag is almost identical to the saumur minus the double opening -hers only has one opening. i believe every bag has its purpose and this bag is simple and easy to carry on the shoulder. its very convenient!

i really like the samur- it is great for travelling. i also like the strap--- so versatile with a few ways to wear it- if i wasnt soooo lazy- id post pics---- maybe one day....

I saw the large saumur in mini lin worn messenger style. It was very trendy looking. I think the larger saumurs are all great looking, it strikes a globe trekking image.

I find it very old looking in Mono. I considered it for a bit because I've been looking for a good messenger bag/cross body bag but I quickly decided that it wasn't the right purse for me.

My mom bought it in the late 80s. It's a larger version...looks huge and heavy, so would work better as a travel bag. But the one that they have now is much smaller. The strap is annoying though...it should be a magnetic strap instead.

I have the mini lin samaur, and to get around the buckle hassle, I always kept the stuff I don't use much buckled close to my body, the outside pocket I keep wallet,glasses etc. I don't buckle this side and is quite easy to use. I find this one good for casual use like markets, sports events etc.

I LOOOOVE my Saumur!!! 80's you said? Nah, not at all. I used to work overseas in Asia and all the young kids (from 16-30) were wearing it all the time. In fact, it is a very popular sought-after item. From what I heard, those younger kids love the L & XL version. Bigger the better.

Buckles are perfect for traveling, also for busy city life. I own 2, one is 30, the other one is 35 which is discontinued. I sometimes double the strap and wear it on the shoulder. When I have my baby with me, then it is a perfect diaper bag. As matter of fact, I think LV used to have a diaper bag in mini lin line (blue? black?) looks similar to Saumur. Sarah Jessica Parker has it too. http://www.shoppingblog.com/cgi-bin/sblog.pl?sblog=202061

Last edited:
I've really been at a loss lately as to what LV bag would suit me. I simply haven't found 'the one' yet, and it's been an odd feeling to not really feel like anything from LV but I really cannot find anything from them that truly suits me. I do really like the Keepall 45 with strap as a larger casual bag, but suddenly thought of the Saumur 35 this morning.

I love that's it's slouchy and casual and has such a long messenger strap. Given LV bags rarely have any sort of compartmentalisation it's great too to have the two separate sections, each with their own flap. I think the bag is often too over-stuffed in pictures and this really does it a disservice as you see only how bulging and large it can become, and now how it will slouch against you when not so full.

So I'm thinking of tracking down a lightly used Saumur 35 to be my next LV in place of the Keepall I was considering. It's a better size for everyday and will make a fantastic workhorse bag! It's slouchy, casual, and slightly scruffy - just like me - and the more I think about it the more right it feels. I'm a jeans, teeshirt, converse or boots kinda girl - I own one pair of heels and one dress, but dozens of Cons / boots / flipflops and over 60 pairs of jeans! I can just see myself cruising around with this lazy casual bag and utterly loving it. My Palermo was too 'pretty' for me, I simply couldn't bring myself to use is for just everyday, but this is perfect!

There's one lazing around at a consignment store right now I'm thinking of, and if I can get my sticky paws upon it I'll take a berzillion shots to show you all how it looks upon this scruff. :P

ETA:- Whoops, and I forgot to mention - for those wondering how annoying that buckle can be, I already own the Congo PM which buckles and it's really no problem at all. I can undo it with one hand, and even when left unbuckled anyway the flap just sits in place. It's no biggie! :tup:

I'm thinking of keeping my most-needed things in the front section, and those less frequently reached for in the bag, though arranged so as not to be bulky. Like a cardi in the back in cooler seasons, and a magazine and brush, but my wallet, keys, and mini accessories pochette in front. :yes:

Last edited: