Do you like the classic LV handbags or the "new" designs?

Many of the new designs are really beautiful and I love looking at them and admiring them on others. But I prefer the classics when it comes time to purchasing. Maybe if I had unlimited bag funds, I'd buy some of the trendier pieces, but I know the classics are a good investment and I most likely won't tire of them.

I think a lot of people buy the classics as their first LV bag (Speedy, Alma, Pochette Accessoires, NF, Keepall). But then come back to buy newer / seasonal designs... you have to give people a reason to visit the store often and buy new things. Especially because LV products are long-lasting.

With new products released every month, there is always something new and exciting to add to my wishlist! And there is always a reason to visit the LV website or stop by the boutique.

I'm new to LV, so far have pochette metis reverse, mini pochette and 6 key holder. Started in January. I'm finding it addictive. Started off with wanting the classic line of, usual speedy, favourite MM, neverfull, but then because they have those styles permanently. I'm swayed to want the classics that have been modified or revamped like the neo noe. Newly updated bags pallas bb instead of a speedy 25. The Iena DE pm instead of the neverfull. There's only 1 bag I want at the moment that is a LV classic. The alama bb in damier ebene.
I guess it depends when you started . I guess for you 15 years you will have collected a fair few. My sister started with LV 30 years ago and no longer collects their bags. Has pretty much all their classic line. She doesn't like the direction LV is going, towards the "whats in fashion/seasonal look" with their new bag's, she's afraid they may look dated in a year or so time so not a worth the investment if trying to resell them later on. She's gone on the chanel boat. Despite I tell her all her bags from them look very similar in shape and size. She loves it, that's all that matters.

The classics became classics because the design was good. But there was a time when even Speedy, Alma, and coated canvas itself were crazy innovations. LV must take risks and keep innovating because there are always new needs, materials, challenges and markets. They have had more hits than misses, which is why LV is now iconic, but bags fail when the design is bad. You may not know exactly why you don't like a particular bag, but it often comes down to some element of failed design.

The famous German Industrial designer Dieter Rams :heart: noted 10 principles of good design: It's innovative, useful, aesthetic, understandable, unobtrusive, honest, long-lasting, "through" down to the last detail, environmentally friendly, and free of clutter. That's true whether you're talking about a building or a purse. When LV gets that right, the new bags become classics and tend to hold their value even when LV retires them.

As a consumer, sometimes it's just personal style, or training your eyes to see something new. But if you buy the bags you love and that speak to you through their beauty and great design, you really can't go wrong.

Last edited:
I always wanted a luxury handbag, a designer piece and LV was for me THE luxury brand. I searched the online site for about a year and never found a bag which called my name. It was all so brown/vachetta - for me= boring, even if called a classic.
It has to grow on me.... My first bag was the Speedy B 25 in DE, after a long search. My second was the Alma PM in black. Classics and I thought, I'm done with them-No more bags needed. After them my obsession really startet-because of pink (I know ....)! I find LV with the new designs and colors modern and started to collect. I own Speedys, a lot of Almas and Neverfulls, but also newer models. And in this time my taste changes a bit and now I really like Canvas and Vachetta [emoji6]
I like the way LV goes and LV has to go this way to stay in the market, stay classic and modern, too! Otherwise they won't sell so much today. It doesn't bother me if a design I love will look dated in a few years, when I love it nothing else matters. My Watercolor Speedy is kind of dated, but for me it is a piece of art, doesn't matter what others say.

I always wanted a luxury handbag, a designer piece and LV was for me THE luxury brand. I searched the online site for about a year and never found a bag which called my name. It was all so brown/vachetta - for me= boring, even if called a classic.
It has to grow on me.... My first bag was the Speedy B 25 in DE, after a long search. My second was the Alma PM in black. Classics and I thought, I'm done with them-No more bags needed. After them my obsession really startet-because of pink (I know ....)! I find LV with the new designs and colors modern and started to collect. I own Speedys, a lot of Almas and Neverfulls, but also newer models. And in this time my taste changes a bit and now I really like Canvas and Vachetta [emoji6]
I like the way LV goes and LV has to go this way to stay in the market, stay classic and modern, too! Otherwise they won't sell so much today. It doesn't bother me if a design I love will look dated in a few years, when I love it nothing else matters. My Watercolor Speedy is kind of dated, but for me it is a piece of art, doesn't matter what others say.
As you suggest, "dated" or "on trend" is really subjective!

Many of the new designs are really beautiful and I love looking at them and admiring them on others. But I prefer the classics when it comes time to purchasing. Maybe if I had unlimited bag funds, I'd buy some of the trendier pieces, but I know the classics are a good investment and I most likely won't tire of them.
I agree, a lot of times I see new/trendy bags from LV that I like, but when i end up purchasing I usually pick a more classic bag that I know I won't get tired of. When I was deciding on my first Lv bag in January, I liked the world tour nano speedy but I chose the pochette accessoires in monogram instead because it's a classic, timeless piece

Last edited:
I agree, a lot of times I see new/trendy bags from LV that I like, but when i usually end up purchasing a more classic bag that I know I won't get tired of. When I was deciding on my first Lv bag in January, I liked the world tour nano speedy but I chose the pochette accessoires in monogram instead because it's a classic, timeless piece
A lot of first time buyers follow that path - and it's probably smart! The purchasing strategy is very different if one owns 25 LV bags or owns none!

Over the years with different designers LV styles have changed, and even retired bags have been revived with a new name. I like seeing a mix of the classics with new innovations. I do enjoy seeing what new designs are produced every season even if I would never buy it myself.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I don't know if I would purchase a Speedy or Alma. I know they are iconic pieces. They don't appeal to me personally. I am drawn to certain LV pieces that I know I will enjoy using and fit into my lifestyle. That doesn't mean I don't own popular bag styles. But, I probably would never go for an outrageous style.

I think it is a valid point to say that any retail company must constantly develop new styles to keep up with the modern era. It's just not everyone's cup of tea.