do you like retractable pencils or ones that use a sharpener?

sdkitty

O.G.
Jan 16, 2006
It seems sometimes the eye or lip liners that need sharpening can get chewed up a bit by the sharpener. But I've noticed my MAC pencils of this type have lasted a very long time. The ones that you twist don't get chewed up but they can break off if you twist them too far and I think maybe there is less product in them.
Which do you like?

Retractable! I am in pharmaceutical sales so I’m in my car a lot. It’s a lot more convenient for me. No messes or looking for a sharpener in case I dropped it on the floor or if it’s a size I have a Rhône. Plus the make up is more precise since it’s the same size point all the time.

Reactions: sdkitty
I prefer retractable too. Sharpening seems to be wasting a lot of the product and a lot of times I can't get a pointy head.

I do like my MAC pencils because it is very soft and oilly and easy to apply, but I don't enjoy sharpening them.

I'm happy with either (and both have their pros and cons) but I honestly prefer pencils that need sharpening, I have a tendency to overwind and break retractable pencils (I press too hard) so traditional pencils are better for me as I can't do that to them.

Reactions: sdkitty
I hate retractable pencils! I know they are popular but you can never get a good point on them so when it comes to brow pencils and such where you need a really tight line, they are useless. Give me a good sharpener any day that way I can decide whether I want sharp, blunt or whatever.

Reactions: JDV
I've been obsessing over a discontinued Armani lip liner so I called NM and asked if they ever bring back discontinued colors. she said armani has been bought out by estee lauder and now, instead of the wood pencils they have retractable ones. she agreed with me that the old wood ones are better. you get a lot more product in them. and as someone here said you can tell when you're running out.
she said sisley makes some nice wood ones but I'm not paying $57 for a pencil
MAC, of course, still has them. Just not the exact color I'm OCDing about.

I like the ones you can sharpen. Retractable ones usually never stay sharp enough.
and there is a huge difference in the amount of product
If you's not paying much (DS) that's one thing. But if I'm paying $20 for a pencil and one has 1.45 g and the other has .5 g - I'm not buying that rectractable one