Do You Keep the Boxes?

Jun 24, 2022
I was wondering if you guys keep the boxes with your purchases? If so, how do you store them? Is it necessary to keep them? I have all the boxes that my jewelry came in and I am working on decluttering. I also have the paperwork on my jewelry and thinking of putting them in some sort of filing system. I do not have plans on selling any pieces but pass them down to my nieces. Just wondering what you guys do and contemplating throwing out the boxes.

In terms of literally keeping them, maybe 50% yes? Usually, I'll repurpose the boxes for other things like organization bins in my cupboards, storage for the closet. Eventually when they do get worn down and dirty I'll throw them away. (I definitely do this for shoe boxes). I do keep certain special boxes, usually a brand gift during the holidays. Those boxes usually have a pretty design and make for a nice display piece.

In the past when I knew in the back of my mind that I wasn't going to keep an item for long and that there was a chance I'd resell it, yes, I'd keep the bag, dust box, and paperwork.
Now, I buy more to keep forever (so far so good lol), and so I'm pretty okay with tossing the box, especially if it's bulky and takes up space.

For my Hermes tableware, glass, and porcelain items, I do keep the boxes, since they have the foam inserts that perfectly fit all the plates and cups. It's great if I need to store and rotate items or if I need to move them for some reason.

I don't have a particularly large collection of luxury items, so for now, I don't feel like I'm accumulating too many packaging items. The ribbons do get a bit annoying though. If I can, I'll ask for no ribbons and no tissue paper.
Edit: now that I think about it. I toss a lot of SLG, accessory, and jewelry boxes lol. I also don't have a lot of my bag boxes anymore, mostly because half of my bags didn't come with boxes and I may have told them not to give me one.

As for paperwork, here's a thread for it:
https://forum.purseblog.com/threads/how-do-you-organize-and-store-your-receipts.1054432/

Last edited:
In terms of literally keeping them, maybe 50% yes? Usually, I'll repurpose the boxes for other things like organization bins in my cupboards, storage for the closet. Eventually when they do get worn down and dirty I'll throw them away. (I definitely do this for shoe boxes). I do keep certain special boxes, usually a brand gift during the holidays. Those boxes usually have a pretty design and make for a nice display piece.

In the past when I knew in the back of my mind that I wasn't going to keep an item for long and that there was a chance I'd resell it, yes, I'd keep the bag, dust box, and paperwork.
Now, I buy more to keep forever (so far so good lol), and so I'm pretty okay with tossing the box, especially if it's bulky and takes up space.

For my Hermes tableware, glass, and porcelain items, I do keep the boxes, since they have the foam inserts that perfectly fit all the plates and cups. It's great if I need to store and rotate items or if I need to move them for some reason.

I don't have a particularly large collection of luxury items, so for now, I don't feel like I'm accumulating too many packaging items. The ribbons do get a bit annoying though. If I can, I'll ask for no ribbons and no tissue paper.

As for paperwork, here's a thread for it:
https://forum.purseblog.com/threads/how-do-you-organize-and-store-your-receipts.1054432/
Thanks I will check out that thread

Reactions: lill_canele
Well, apparently I am a box hoarder!!! I even badgered SAs to give me the boxes that I didn’t purchase?! I will buy dresses or something and then spot a shoe box that I have to have! (D&G has most beautiful boxes ……art for it self) I do use it in my studio but to be quite honest I like them . So if I do that you can imagine that I have every single box that I purchased. Fortunately for me there is a huge attic that still has plenty of space for more. I don’t know why I do that because I have never ever sold anything and I never will. I do give away stuff and when I do, I like to give a whole package. Idk, feels less like hand me downs even though people wanted them. Something is wrong with me :O lol. I can’t stop.

I do the exact same thing, except for the receipts. I keep those with the boxes as well.
I used to until we were robbed. Once I had to go through all the boxes to find receipts of stolen items, we realized it made sense (for us) to put all receipts of notable purchases in a file folder for easy access. I write a note on the top of receipts so I know which bag goes with which receipt.