Do you keep clothes that you haven't worn for a year?

What do you do with clothes that you haven't worn for a year or more?

I went through my closet recently and realized that there is quite a lot of stuff that I just don't wear anymore. So, do you keep the clothes in a tucked away part of your closet hoping that you will find a use for it later, keep it because it hasn't gone out of style and you paid a lot of money for it so you might as well keep it, OR give it away to charity and feel happy about the extra space in your closet for new clothes? If the clothes aren't in style at the moment but might eventually come back do you keep it or do you just buy new clothes when the style changes since you probably will like the new stuff better.

What about clothes you haven't worn yet? Do you keep the tags on it until you wear it, plus how long has a new item of clothing stood in your closet without being worn?

What about keeping clothes that don't really fit "right now". I know people that keep jeans or skirts that are smaller in hopes of losing a bit of weight and weighing the same as they did a few years ago.

i used to keep everything regardless of if i ever wore it or it fitting, but i just recently went though my whole closet and cleaned everything out.. so my new rule is if i haven't/don't know when i'd wear it i get rid of it

I shop way too much, so I do a clearing of the closet every 6 months and usually end up giving bags and bags of clothes, with tags and barely worn to my mom and cousin. I also have a problem with buying multiples of everything. They love it! haha...and then I start it up all over again filling up my closet for the next go-around.

I usually do closet cleaning annually and give away my old clothes to younger cousins or to the charity. I love to shop and often times it takes me awhile to wear my new clothes so there are alot of pieces in my closet still with the tags on. Sometimes when cousins or friends will come visit and if they like my new clothes, I'll just give it to them (if the clothes are cheap).

I usually give my unused clothes to my local church and sometimes to the salvation army that's near my university. I'm glad I don't spend a lot on my clothes, because sometimes my clothes have never been worn. I usually cut the tags off when I get them home, because I try them on in store first. I only keep things until the season it can be worn in has passed twice. I.e. if I have a sweater that has never been, and never will be, worn and two winters have pasted, it goes out of the closet and on to a new home.

I hang onto clothing I spent a pretty penny for but have been meaning to cut up some old clothes (that I'm willing to cut) and make something new out of them. I've been wanting to do that for ages! But now I know how to sew and make patterns... I should get to it already!

I get rid of the things that were inexpensive and trendy, but keep all the clothes that are classic, because they always have possibilities! My favorite LBD has been around for about 7-8 years, and it may go a year in between wearings, but always looks good. If i buy something and haven't worn it within about a month, I will return it, as it must not be so great otherwise it would have been on my body already!!! Since moving to Hong Kong, I have almost no closet space, so I have learned to appreciate all my clothes, and wear them often....totally different than when I lived in the U.S. and had a ton of things in my closet, half of which I never wore! On the down side, I spend more $$$ per item. My thinking: if you spend $20, but only wear it once, it cost $20 per wear. If you spend $200, but wear it 20 times, it is only $10 a wear. My DH says I can rationalize anything.....hmmmm...maybe he's right!!!

I need to address this issue:biggrin: . I buy new things all the time;sometimes I don't even get round to wearing all of my new clothes for one particular season,let alone wearing clothes from before...yet I cannot really throw anything away.

I have an overflowing walk-in closet...but I don't buy cheap or especially trendy things,and it always seems like such a waste to throw things away,and such an effort to try to sell them.

I should take a sabbatical from shopping and just wear all of the unowrn things in my closet...:wacko:

I have a rule for my closet, If I haven't worn it in a year, then it has to go. If it's a name brand, I'll sell it on Ebay or take it to a local store called Plato's Closet that will buy name brand clothes from you. If I can't sell them, then I ask my friends first, then donate whats left over. With the money I make from selling my clothes, and the closet space, open, I buy new clothes to fill the empty space.

I have a hue problem getting rid of clothes. I am working on being able to let go much easier. Usually about 3 or 4 times a year I go in my closet and just start emptying clothes into 7-8 trash bags and give it to Goodwill. But I do have some clothes that are over a year old and still really cute!!!

I have a problem with getting rid of clothes that I don't wear because I keep thinking to myself that maybe one particular day, I will wear it. I do force myself, every year, to give some away to charity or to sell on eBay. As a matter of fact, I feel the spring cleaning urge coming on soon....