Do You Keep A Journal ?

I was going through some PRETTY rough stuff in middle school. I was different from the other students (and different = bad in eighth grade) so I was teased mercilessly. It got so bad that whenever I would see a psychiatrist they always asked about me killing myself.

Through middle school and high school, I would always write out my feelings in a journal. When I stopped having problems at school, the writing stopped.

This topic TOTALLY reminded me of this:

Titus: I tried keeping a diary once. It ended up a performance piece at one of Dad's poker games.
Ken: "I don't know if she'll ever notice me, but just knowing she's in the world makes the world a better world to live in. - My Secret Diary by Christopher W. Titus." The W, gentlemen, stands for Wussy! . . . (to Christopher) Once you get laid, you'll stop writing this crap.

I used to... my BFF my freshman year in high school gave me one for christmas...... and i kept it up almost daily until about age 25-26. I have STACKS of journals in my parents house. They're all about the same size..probabbly around 5x7. All with a brightly colored cloth cover. i started off with lined pages, then moved to unlined pages so i could write whatever size or across the page, or sketch.

They were for me only, so no way would I consider blogging in the same way i wrote journals.

I used to average 1 journal every 3 months or so, but when i went thru my last break up, i filled it one up in about a month.

I think i've had the same one for about 2 years now & have barely made a dent in it.

Every so often I like to look thru the oldest ones & reminicse about high school.... plus, it's a good reminder for myself that I wasn't always mature and level headed and went thru the same teenage angst I see my students going thru.

I write near daily in my journal. I keep a visual journal so its a diary/scrapbook hybrid full of ephemera, collage, snippets, photos as well as thoughts. I like to use 10X10 or 12X12 spiral bound scrapbooks as my journals. I prefer blank pages. Sometimes I like lined, traditional journals.