Do You Hide Your Chanel Bags (or Other Luxury Goods) from Regular/Hourly House Keeper?

I trust our cleaner, she has been with us for years and if I would not trust her I would not let her in my house. Same with babysitters or even construction workers.
I rather not own any luxury bags than having to worry about this. Only thing I store in an vault are watches with diamonds or anything Like that. But more because the insurrance wont cover them fully.

Our insurance covered all my jewelry except a few items I couldn't document. AIG was fabulous, I can't say enough good things.

A similar question would be whether you feel comfortable with your kids' teen friends having free rein in your house. When my kids had pool parties with various friends, some of whom I don't know well, I limit access to the powder room next to the door to the pool patio. I don't want them looking at my bags, etc. I have the habit of leaving out my current bags on rotation in my dining room on the credenza and on a bookcase near the kitchen. No sense tempting someone. Close friends is not a real issue.

A similar question would be whether you feel comfortable with your kids' teen friends having free rein in your house. When my kids had pool parties with various friends, some of whom I don't know well, I limit access to the powder room next to the door to the pool patio. I don't want them looking at my bags, etc. I have the habit of leaving out my current bags on rotation in my dining room on the credenza and on a bookcase near the kitchen. No sense tempting someone. Close friends is not a real issue.
I had not thought of this, and I agree it is a good measure to limit access to a certain room(s) for those that you don't know well.

Reactions: WingNut
It would be weird for our kids friends to come into our assure bedroom/bath.
When I’d go to friends as a kid, I’d have never done that, parents rooms especially friends parents, just have always seemed private and off limits
Certainly not upstairs/bedrooms etc. I am talking about leaving your current bags on, e.g., the dining room credenza, foyer table etc.

So, I have a large gun safe that I also put jewelry in, and I put locks on all my cabinets that house my safe, my ammo, etc. THEN, I have a floor to ceiling RH cabinet w/ all my bags, I put a lock on that. I have an alarm sensor connected to the cabinet, and a motion sensor camera pointed down on all the cabinets/ safe that instantly records when there's motion AND records from all other cameras around the perimeter. I can set up the camera to go into instant alarm if it detects any motion at all. I also live in a community w/ 24 hour manned security with vehicles that constantly patrol.

One day I was out while my housekeeper's team was there (she was gone but her son & 2 others came). I had left the key in the bag cabinet. I instantly get a live recording of the son opening the cabinet, TAKING OUT A BAG AND PHOTOGRAPHING IT. I race home while he's still there, I find that all my clothes have been gone through as well (tags out, etc). I was freaked out out for awhile b/c he is an adult teenager...who was or did he send pictures to (pics have geo locations on them)? Did he post on social media? Maybe his friends are "ok" but friends of friends? It felt so violating...going through ALL MY CLOTHES? And I can tell when anyone comes over and goes through my clothes. Although the CTJ I thought was impactful, it didn't keep one of the other "team" persons from lifting 2 pr of LV sunglasses out of my bag that was sitting on the counter while I was outside on the phone a month later. I filed a police report and had them banned from the neighborhood.

Where I live housekeepers make $50 an hour (just private ones, not commercial companies, they are more), so I have one working for me now who makes more money doing this than with her profession w/ a graduate degree. And, fashion ain't her thing. I've sort of learned by trial and error that if a housekeeper asks me about my clothes, bags, asks how much they are, or even really compliments me on my fashion or furniture or whatever, I get rid of them. I don't want anyone around who "notices" that stuff, if that makes sense.
This is crazy and I’m sorry you went through this.

I desperately want to hire a housekeeper. I had major cervical surgery 2 years ago and it really limits me. I need a thorough cleaning, then someone to come in once or twice a month. I don't think I could ever trust anyone in my house, definitely not unattended. Thirty years ago I had my house robbed twice in a month. The first time they must have been scared off because they hadn't taken all the jewelry out of my armoire. I hid what was left, so when they came back they found an empty jewelry armoire. This must have ticked them off because they tore the house apart. If you've ever had your house broken into like that, you know it's something you never get over. That's what makes it so hard for me to let someone in my house, even with me at home.

One thing I do when I have workers in the house is put away any jewelry that's laying around. Not because I don't trust the workers because I screen people thoroughly, but if something went missing because *I* misplaced it, I'd immediately think someone pocketed it. I cringe to think of wrongly accusing someone when I was careless.

Moral of the story is it's not just designer handbags, it's that horrible feeling of being violated. I still want my house cleaned though!!!
That is horrifying. I am so sorry.

I used to live in Asia where “foreign domestic helpers” were quite common, especially in homes with kids. Unfortunately there are too many bad stories to recount. My friend trusted one helper (who was diligent and wonderful with the kids). When the helper quit to go back to her home country she borrowed a large sum of money from her friends, etc and never repaid it.

Last edited:
I trust my cleaning lady as she’s one of my moms oldest friends. She normally cleans when either myself or DH is home. However in my closet room I keep the closet with my bags, loose jewelry and firearms locked at all times. I do this not for her but as a precaution so that I never have to worry that items are exposed or issue with children around firearms. DH has grandkids

I have a part-time cleaning lady, I trust her, but I keep my closet doors closed, I don't leave my purse out when she is here and I keep my jewelry in a safe or in a drawer, same things I do whenever we have guests in our home. I have never been one to leave my jewelry here and there. I lose things too easily, so I tend to put my valuable items away asap. I am always misplacing my phone and then asking dh to call me, so I can locate it. :P

I had a housekeeper when my daughter was a toddler.

My thoughts:
- It is extremely difficult to find good people
- Don't let other people talk you out of your intuition that someone may not be trustworthy
- If you find you have trust issues around who you allow in your home, maybe consider whether it's worth it to have people in your home regularly
- The worst part about having someone else cleaning your home is wondering whether you lost something, it was moved during the cleaning process, or it got stolen—so not having to wonder because you don't have a housekeeper is a blessing
- One time I caught her peeking in a drawer and was too afraid to ask why, which furthered my trust issues
- I always felt judged by my housekeeper and felt a lot of relief when we cancelled service
- I ended up pre-cleaning before our housekeeper came because I didn't like her disapproving stares
- I really really don't like feeling judged for my home being messy... hello, that's why I hired you!!!!
- A smaller home is a more manageable cleaning job for a woman with a day job like me
- Less things in the home leads to less messes to clean
- Clutter due to having a toddler that carries toys all over and leaves them in truly random places was actually the primary cleaning issue in our home and it's also something the housekeeper didn't fix since her service involved vacuuming, dusting, wiping down surfaces, cleaning the sinks, toilets, showers, and baseboards
- Dusting and wiping down surfaces is actually not as much work as it sounds like
- We had a lot less dust buildup after getting a whole house air filter
- Robotic vacuums and mops clean my floors more frequently than my housekeeper used to come (I purchased one per floor) and that is the area we needed cleaned the most often besides the clutter buildup
- Telling a young child that they need to be sure that their toys are not left on the floor while they are not using them because the robot vacuum might try to eat them is a great way to convince them to clean up after themselves (it really worked!)
- The toilet and showers don't need to be cleaned as often as they were when we had a housekeeper coming, but we did find that no one in our home enjoys that work
- It's still not worth paying a housekeeper to clean my toilet for me
- There are a whole bunch of places that our housekeeper never touched and it became very obvious once I started picking one room a month to deep clean (on top of the fridge, behind furniture, etc)
- I was able to identify a pest problem (something called earwigs were attracted to my pothos plant, eeew) in a less frequently used part of my house because I started cleaning my house myself

Last edited:
We have locks and shock break sensors on closets and cameras monitoring everything. The locks are not for our housekeepers, it’s for when we travel. I don’t think I’ve ever used the locks while they’ve been in the house. We’re more worried about the people we don’t know! We have a house on the lake in humid Texas :facepalm: and with that comes bugs so we have a regular exterminator also. He has to go in the closets to spray. Housekeepers sweep, mop and straighten up in the closet. We’ve never had concerns.

My bags are actually the least of the worries. My hubby has a lot of memorabilia that even if reimbursed monetarily by insurance, they still can’t be replaced. Insurance would never be able to replace those memories. No one is ever in the house alone, not because we don’t trust them personally but we’ve preferred to always have someone home when someone is in the house. In the past, something always get forgotten to be done lol. That doesn’t happen anymore but maybe it’s because one of us are home :lol:

I’m a firm believer in delegating responsibilities. I let the professionals handle their professions. I’m not deep cleaning my whole house at all anymore. The thought :doh:

This is a very interesting topic! I've had housekeepers for the last 7 yrs, and had recently switched to new housekeepers. I keep all of my handbags inside my closet, but the closet itself is not locked. I did tell them not to open the closet since cleaning is not required inside. On a separate note, my husband & I do have expensive jewelry and watches, and those are kept in a locked box and a safe.

For me I simply don't trust anyone besides my husband lol. I sometimes have people coming into my home fixing things, HOA lady coming in to check stuff etc. It's really just trying to keep valuable items out of sight to avoid the risk.

I’m a firm believer in delegating responsibilities. I let the professionals handle their professions. I’m not deep cleaning my whole house at all anymore. The thought :doh:
I agree, and I wish one day we can finally hire a cleaning lady that we are comfortable with and trust 100%. You know, maybe I can finally nag less when I don't need to be the main cleaner of the house anymore. Just saying :lol:
This is a very interesting topic! I've had housekeepers for the last 7 yrs, and had recently switched to new housekeepers. I keep all of my handbags inside my closet, but the closet itself is not locked. I did tell them not to open the closet since cleaning is not required inside. On a separate note, my husband & I do have expensive jewelry and watches, and those are kept in a locked box and a safe.

For me I simply don't trust anyone besides my husband lol. I sometimes have people coming into my home fixing things, HOA lady coming in to check stuff etc. It's really just trying to keep valuable items out of sight to avoid the risk.
I agree with your last paragraph a lot. And if I hadn't said so already, I admit I have trust issues and can only trust husband ATM. I am a firm believer of out of sight out of mind too.

Reactions: WingNut