Do You Hide Your Chanel Bags (or Other Luxury Goods) from Regular/Hourly House Keeper?

KittyCattt

May 12, 2021
Hello everyone, this is my first time creating a thread on tpf :smile: I can't seem to find a recent thread about this question, so please feel free to let me know if there is already an existing one.

My friend and I have been wondering, for those who have hired regular and hourly house keepers for your home, do you hide your valuable items from your cleaners? With more theft and robbery going on these days, we have yet to hire any outside help to deep clean the house because of this very worry. Are insurance and placing items (including let's say Hermès change trays, and anything that can give one away) in the safe enough to lower the risk? Or would it be a good idea to even buy a few affordable bags to fill the closet display cabinets so the closet doesn't look pretentiously empty?

Or are my friend and I just over thinking all this? Thank you very much in advance for any input!! :smile:

I do my own cleaning so can’t give input here however….I am planning on getting a price estimate on interior painting work this weekend. I don’t display my bags- they are hidden in the closet and I’m going to try to steer them away from my closets when they are going around the home to do the appraisal for the estimate this weekend. When the painting is being done, I plan to move all my bags and jewelry out of the house. I can’t risk it lol

Thank you all so much for chiming in! :yes: I agree with the majority, that out of sight out of mind... I do like the idea of cleaning only the first floor, but does that mean I still need to clean the majority of the toilets and showers (since most are upstairs)? :lol::facepalm: Or would it be too obvious to ask them to leave out only the master bedroom lol? Part of the reason my friend and I discussed about this today was because we both felt that we couldn't fully enjoy owning luxury goods... Either we felt that we could be judged in some way or we don't feel safe owning them. And another recent Chanel robbery happening definitely doesn't help ease our worry :frown:

Reactions: lunabear101
Thank you all so much for chiming in! :yes: I agree with the majority, that out of sight out of mind... I do like the idea of cleaning only the first floor, but does that mean I still need to clean the majority of the toilets and showers (since most are upstairs)? :lol::facepalm: Or would it be too obvious to ask them to leave out only the master bedroom lol? Part of the reason my friend and I discussed about this today was because we both felt that we couldn't fully enjoy owning luxury goods... Either we felt that we could be judged in some way or we don't feel safe owning them. And another recent Chanel robbery happening definitely doesn't help ease our worry :frown:
If you don’t have any walk in closets, you can always install a hidden lock on any of the cabinets in the house

No, if I didn’t trust my help, I wouldn’t have them in my house. My bags and jewelry are not the most valuable items.
In the renovation of a second apt, we may have a lock on the dressing room, but that’s more for when we travel or host large groups; it’s not bc I don’t trust the help.

Last edited:
No, if I didn’t trust my help, I wouldn’t have them in my house. My bags and jewelry are not the most valuable items.
In the renovation of a second apt, we may have a lock on the dressing room, but that’s more for when we travel or host large groups; it’s not bc I don’t trust the help.
What you just said is my ideal situation, that I would be able to find a help that I trust and feel comfortable with. Would you have any tips on finding a trustworthy cleaner/helper? Perhaps an actual employee of a more established cleaning company/service mentioned by another member above?

What you just said is my ideal situation, that I would be able to find a help that I trust and feel comfortable with. Would you have any tips on finding a trustworthy cleaner/helper? Perhaps an actual employee of a more established cleaning company/service mentioned by another member above?
I go by personal referrals. My mom holds onto full time help for decades. It becomes a personal relationship.