Do you have to have an "it" bag?

Very interesting question.

Here's the thing about "it" bags from I have seen over the last few years on the various boards. There are "it" bags like the LV Miroir bags which a great deal of buzz is created around months before they come out and most people want it. Ppl want it cuz they get caught in the frenzy of the buzz and the anticipation IMO and I am guilty of that sometimes LOL

The other "it" bags are bags that are things boardies bought (they can be from seasons past) and then suddenly everyone realises how nice the bag is and there's a demand for it. I think LV Plum Suhali is something that was discontinued but all of a sudden a few people got really into it.

For me personally I fall somewhere in between - sometimes I want an "it" bag, sometimes I don't, be it from the first or latter category. For me I think it is what appeals to me at the time. I got a B-bag and a Fendi Spy a bit AFTER the fact they were considered "it" bags, and everyone was buying them in multiples. And I still have them and would buy more if I could not because they were/are "it" bags.

A lot of times I don't like "it" bags - I don't understand the appeal of Mulberry or Botiker or Luella Bartley etc etc.

At the moment I am not sure if I have any "it" bags though LOL

I'm careful with my purchases so I like to stick with classics that will last for a long time. So if I'm into "it" bags they are the ones that eventually evolved into a classic.

Not necessarily. I'll buy a bag based on their quality, material in relation to the price and design/shape. Which is why I love LVs & Coaches (for the moment).... just dont seem to dig the MJ Stam (for eg!), or the chloe edith. Am LOVING the MiuMiu coffer and YSL muse tho!

You'd think no one who has to have it bags posts on tPF! I mentioned this earlier, but if you phrase the question like it's a bad thing, no one will admit to it freely.

Well, maybe no one that wants to have it bags replied to this one :smile:. Personally, I have to admit that I love some of the IT bags BUT (well, you did say so didn;t you....) what puts me off is that 1. everyone seems to have them 2. when they are over it is just impossible to use them (looks so dated), so it is better not to have an IT bag.

I don't have huge disposable income either but let me tell you, you can buy nice designer purses and not kill yourself. I bought lots of Anya Hindmarch (new) on ebay - love her stuff - and found them for 1/6 of usual price. They were just not that a hype. I honestly think it is worth buying a good designer bag (or more than one) because they are better quality. and you CAN tell the difference

I generally let my bags find me - and some gorgeous ones do it very well!! One bag I have that I think was an "It bag" for a brief time - The Mulberry Roxanne!! After seeing it look so hot with jeans and a white shirt in "Match Point" I knew I had to have "it".

<< Yes, I definitely see and have experienced how carrying an it bag or noticeably expensive bag has gotten better service. But I am talking about in designer/luxury stores. At the very least I always get offered a drink in stores along 57th Street of 5th Avenue when I carry my Bottega croc.

High end hotels also treat you better. I think anywhere with a concierge treats "rich"-looking people better (unless you are a regular). >>

Oh, I agree with that. Why do you feel it was the bag, though, instead of your overall appearance?

And thanks for the answers, everyone! Interesting to see how you all view your bags. Myself, I don't know enough about the different styles to recognize a bag as "so last season" yet, LOL, but for me, if I like it, I like it, and at what some of them cost I will carry them, last season or not. :smile: I have gotten more bag-conscious since visiting this forum, I was at a large Christmas party this evening and found myself looking at everyone's bags, something I never did before. :smile:

Well, I dress in similar outfits for weeks at a time. I don't get much attention when I carry my Bottega matte croc "sling" bag (it's kind of a bulky messenger bag with a long strap) but when I carry my Bottega Vis a Vis (which is larger, red and glazed croc) I get a lot of attention. The red croc is very flashy so that must be why.

Similar things have happened in the past with other bags....

Although I have to also admit I get a lot of attention if I carry an interesting bag like my fringed Lanvin that no one recognizes....

<< Yes, I definitely see and have experienced how carrying an it bag or noticeably expensive bag has gotten better service. But I am talking about in designer/luxury stores. At the very least I always get offered a drink in stores along 57th Street of 5th Avenue when I carry my Bottega croc.

High end hotels also treat you better. I think anywhere with a concierge treats "rich"-looking people better (unless you are a regular). >>

Oh, I agree with that. Why do you feel it was the bag, though, instead of your overall appearance?

And thanks for the answers, everyone! Interesting to see how you all view your bags. Myself, I don't know enough about the different styles to recognize a bag as "so last season" yet, LOL, but for me, if I like it, I like it, and at what some of them cost I will carry them, last season or not. :smile: I have gotten more bag-conscious since visiting this forum, I was at a large Christmas party this evening and found myself looking at everyone's bags, something I never did before. :smile:

Though I might like the style of an "It" bag, I hate being a lemming. I don't mind carrying one after the fact, but I choose my bags primarily for aesthetic reasons first.