Do you have to have an "it" bag?

I'm really not into trends, I have my own style. I don't own any "it" bags and I don't own any very high end designer bags either. My most expensive bag is my LV Speedy, other than that most my bags are low end designer bags that cost between 100-300 dollars.

No, I don't need an "it" bag at all. My bags are all pretty classic and are designed to hold things and blend in with my clothes, not screech "Look at me. I am an EXPENSIVE DAMN TRENDY BAG!" Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it's just not my style. I am going for a total look, and the bag is only one part of it.

Ash

<< Sometimes I wonder if I would get better service if I carried an it bag instead of a holographic Miu Miu bag (that no one recognizes anymore) (as I definitely see preferential treatment for those who do carry the it bags), >>

This is a fascinating observation. What instances have you noticed people getting better service due to their bag?

I am going to pay more attention to this now. The only personal instance I can think of where I may have been given better service due to my bag is when I was in a Coach store carrying an LV bag. The SA was all over me and I figured it was because she saw the LV bag and figured I was a serious customer for another high-end bag. But outside of that, I can't think of any instance where I was given better service. In fact, quite the opposite -I think wearing expensive jewelry and clothing in venues where the price isn't set leads to being quoted higher prices.

Oooh what an interesting thread - it's really got me thinking about my bag buying motivations and habits. :wondering

I think I go for quality - I hate duff leather or scratchy linings. But I also think even though I'd call myself a 'classic' sort of girl, I look to update the classic lines of bags if not seasonally, certainly regularly. The way I see it, is I have worn tailored jackets for the longest time, but the ones I wore in 1989 had huge shoulder pads and gold buttons, but wouldn't get an outing today:shame: ! So even the most 'classic, I only go for the quality of design' protestations are influenced for me by fashion.

I also kind of separate enduring from seasonal in my head - so I have a patent Carker which I know is seasonal and I have just sold, but I wouldn't sell my Tods D-bag in discreet tan unless I get bored or too poor because it is pretty enduring in style.

The other thing 'it' bags can make me do is think outside my handbag box - I get ideas about new shapes, colours, designs etc and sometimes even try them out - how daring!

Just my ponderings this dark December night!

I never carry "It" bags. They just aren't me. I prefer more unusual designers. I have quite a few Betsey Johnson bags, some less popular Kate Spade styles, a couple bags from BCBG, and some older unusual Kooba (have yet to see mine posted in anyone's collection). I keep my bags (almost) forever so I usually wait until they go on sale before buying. I am a bargain hunting nut and stalk my favorite styles. If I don't still love them when they go on sale then I didn't want them badly enough to begin with.

<< Sometimes I wonder if I would get better service if I carried an it bag instead of a holographic Miu Miu bag (that no one recognizes anymore) (as I definitely see preferential treatment for those who do carry the it bags), >>

This is a fascinating observation. What instances have you noticed people getting better service due to their bag?

I am going to pay more attention to this now. The only personal instance I can think of where I may have been given better service due to my bag is when I was in a Coach store carrying an LV bag. The SA was all over me and I figured it was because she saw the LV bag and figured I was a serious customer for another high-end bag. But outside of that, I can't think of any instance where I was given better service. In fact, quite the opposite -I think wearing expensive jewelry and clothing in venues where the price isn't set leads to being quoted higher prices.

Don't know about places where prices aren't set. It makes sense that they would quote higher prices though.

Yes, I definitely see and have experienced how carrying an it bag or noticeably expensive bag has gotten better service. But I am talking about in designer/luxury stores. At the very least I always get offered a drink in stores along 57th Street of 5th Avenue when I carry my Bottega croc.

High end hotels also treat you better. I think anywhere with a concierge treats "rich"-looking people better (unless you are a regular).

A bag has to strike me in order to want to buy it. If it happens to have a waiting list, I'll go ahead and go for it. Around here, I don't see the same bags over and over so I'm usually pretty safe with my choices...but I wouldn't buy something JUST because it's an "it" bag or because a certain celebrity was seen with it.

I was very lucky, I think. My grandmother taught me many useful things, and one of the ones I appreciate most today is that the secret to getting the absolute best service anywhere, anytime, in any establishment, is all about attitude. People in service jobs - even in the fanciest of places - do not have easy lives. A friendly smile and a kind word will be appreciated, and frankly, with all respect to the beauty of the clothing and accessories - noticed more by these hard-working, frequently overworked, and busy individuals. It is a sad truth that especially in the more "high end" places, they may see a lot of couture - but not a lot of genuine courtesy and friendliness.

Dealing with the public is one of the hardest jobs there is - and seldom compensated commensurate with the effort these good folks make to make sure that you enjoy your visit to the store, or the hotel, as much as the crowned heads of Whereverland enjoy theirs - even if you are just browsing, or meeting someone for lunch.

Their whole day is about making other people feel comfortable. It takes so little effort, and costs nothing, to have your visit be one that is even if only briefly, just a little bit about making them feel good! :smile:

When there's something I really want, whether it's a pricey item or a $2 wotsit, I get all restless until I have it! It's like an itch that won't go away until I get whatever it is. So, happened to like a couple of "it" bags and, yes, I had to have 'em. But, I genuinely LOVED these bags. Most of the "it" bags I see, I don't like. Some, I do like, but have no interest in owning one. But, the couple I do have (Miu Miu Coffer & Fendi Spy), I got cos I really, REALLY wanted them.

I usually find "it" bags pretty hard to resist :shame: but it does really depend on the bag. Where I live the selection is very limited so most of the time I have to go through a lot of trouble to get them and they have to be special to me for me to do that.

I've never gotten a waiting list myself, but I could see it happening:smile: . I think you raise some interesting questions. I have a great Marc Jacobs bag, but I caught myself thinking "this bag is so last year"! In general I just love fashion, but try to budget my purchases between more classic and fun/trendy. I try to buy things at the beginning of a trend, for example platform shoes, because that way you can two or three years out of a piece vs. waiting until it is in every store and about to go out of style. I never get rid of anything though -- maybe it will come back in style!!!