Do you have to have a lot of money to carry a birkins?

I had to post once I seen the head line girl get what you won't no matter what's the price it's your money. Black is a nice color for the 35cm but you should get a bright color like a red.

I think of one Birkin equivalent to about 10 Louis Vuitton monogram bags. Or 200 Target-brand satchel bags. And when I look at my wardrobe, and how chaotic it can be to match those 10 bags, or those 200, I lament not having a staple bag (or small subset of staple bags) that I never have to consider if they match or not. In my opinion, Hermes-Anything is worth replacing chaos :}

This is such a wild topic when I sit and think about it. I could go both ways and I love Hermes!

I feel it has a lot to do with how you are raised and what is instilled in you. My family is old school Italian and their mentality is simple things in life...family, food, religion, friends are most important. The save your money is the best way and always have it for a rainy day. I do agree with that, but I have a part of me that LOVES HERMES and wants to spend the money on their products.

I don't really have the income level in my opinion that I should have to be purchasing Birkin/Kelly bags. I truly feel you really need to make a high income for these goods. I just make smart investments and choices which allow me these luxuries. Now, there are many people I know that don't make choices like this and they buy these goods and they are hanging by a thread in life.

I have no problem with any age buying these fine Hermes products, but I do know from experience, in my adult life, that most people I have encounterd they just buy, don't think, and don't have the money. That is where I find it sad. They appear they have lots of money to others who see them, but all they have is in their closet. That scares me.

I wish people on a whole would think a bit more before they buy. I do see so many people where I live they have these expensive bags, but their shoes are dead giveaways they have no money. You can also tell by the rest of how they are dressed.

So, you DON'T need a lot of money to carry a Birkin, but you do have to think about how you carry yourself and what you wear if you are going to carry a $7,000 and up bag. It can look all wrong. Look clean, polished, hair in order, nice quality jewelry...everything doesn't need to be designer or high end, but clean and nice.

I saw a lady carry a beautiful Birkin and she got in a car that looked like she couldn't make it another 50 miles. I shake my head and I feel that is foolish. Is it the media that draws her to this? Does it make her feel better? Why would she not put that money toward a new vehicle?

OK...I need to be quite!!! I rambled

ITA. I think it depends alot about the overall quality of one's lifestyle. You don't need to be filthy rich to carry a birkin, but you do need a certain degree of wealth or good quality lifestyle. This brand symbolizes prestige, quality, wealth, and exclusivity. Age doesn't matter, however, iif I see a very young girl (or old) with cheap dirty sneakers and clothes from target carrying a birkin, yes I would think it's fake and think it's a disgrace to the brand. Just imagine, for example, a gardener driving a rolls royce. Yea, it's his money and it's no one's business how he spends it, but it just looks foolish and out of place. Buy what fits your lifestyle.

I think of one Birkin equivalent to about 10 Louis Vuitton monogram bags. Or 200 Target-brand satchel bags. And when I look at my wardrobe, and how chaotic it can be to match those 10 bags, or those 200, I lament not having a staple bag (or small subset of staple bags) that I never have to consider if they match or not. In my opinion, Hermes-Anything is worth replacing chaos :}

this is nice lumchan:yes::tup::heart::heart::heart:

ITA. I think it depends alot about the overall quality of one's lifestyle. You don't need to be filthy rich to carry a birkin, but you do need a certain degree of wealth or good quality lifestyle. This brand symbolizes prestige, quality, wealth, and exclusivity. Age doesn't matter, however, iif I see a very young girl (or old) with cheap dirty sneakers and clothes from target carrying a birkin, yes I would think it's fake and think it's a disgrace to the brand. Just imagine, for example, a gardener driving a rolls royce. Yea, it's his money and it's no one's business how he spends it, but it just looks foolish and out of place. Buy what fits your lifestyle.

have to disagree - buy what you love and do not give a rats ass what anyone else thinks is the way to go (at leadt in my humble opinion)!

LOL...have a lot of money? Are you kidding? I'll be dead broke by the time I finish my Hermes collection...but extremely well-accessorized. :P

Ultimately, buy what you love and feel you can afford. I think it's unfair to suggest that a person has to maintain an all-around high-maintenance lifestyle just to carry a bag. People may simply choose to direct their purchasing power in different directions, and that's perfectly ok.

Last edited:

I disagree. I think there is plenty of cross-purchasing between socioeconomic classes; meaning, very wealthy people purchase clothes from Target and relatively middle-income people purchase from Hermes, and I don't think there's a problem in that. Dirty sneakers are one thing, but if you maintain well, whatever it is that you own, it doesn't matter whether your clothes and shoes are from Target or the latest designer offering.

I love what I've heard people say about French women and Hermes - that no matter where they are socioeconomically, they make it a point to invest in at least one really good bag, perhaps a Kelly, and some Hermes scarves. The gardener's wife might invest in those things, and kudos to her for her taste.

I do agree with kellybag that people should think more before they buy, myself included. I have plenty of nice things and no debt, but my savings account is pretty sad and doesn't justify all my purchases. But the funny thing is, my love for Hermes is teaching me how to save for a goal :P... I don't spend on the little things so much anymore because I think, "that's another $500 that could go toward a birkin!!"