Do you have any problems with the people you work with?

I work with someone who calls out "sick" CONSTANTLY. And gets away with it. If I called out that much I would probably have been fired by now. It is really infuriating. The most recent call-out was for a "family emergency" which was---get this---that a friend of a friend of a friend had died. How is that a family emergency??? I mean, do you really need to miss work for that? Then she's always whining about how broke she is. Don't get me started.

I work with someone who calls out "sick" CONSTANTLY. And gets away with it. If I called out that much I would probably have been fired by now. It is really infuriating. The most recent call-out was for a "family emergency" which was---get this---that a friend of a friend of a friend had died. How is that a family emergency??? I mean, do you really need to miss work for that? Then she's always whining about how broke she is. Don't get me started.

Ha ha is her name Angela? I had a co-worker who called off for EVERYTHING, including cramps. Seriously. I could set my calendar by her cycles.

Oh definitely, I started making photocopies of everything. I don't have access to using any kind of e-mail feature there however, and I don't think I could easily send to them what I'm talking about. If it was concerning only last week it would be so easy... but it's concerning weeks ago and I can't remember for the life of me who I gave them to so I can confront them. This particular issue at least will not be coming up again. I am so upset however that when I go in there tomorrow I have to deal with it... it hurts me so much.

Adore I think in your situation it is not so much what you are doing that makes them feels they have "permission" to step all over you but maybe the way in which you are doing it.

We send messages to people even by the way we shake someones hand... Not forgetting 80% of our communication is non-verbal. If you come across as a confident, forthright and direct person then people will rarley challenge you. However if you seem unsure of yourself, hesitate to answer etc etc then stupid cows like the ones you work with will eat you alive. It's survival of the fittest... I say USE YOUR YOUNG AGE to your advantage!! CLEARLY you have something the 55 y/o you discussed earlier does not. Use it to your advantage!! Dress welll, hold your head up high and take no punches lying down girl. hehehe.... here i go again. Can you tell which industry I work in??? hahhaa... it's all about confidence Adore!!

The next time you are questioned about papers be ready for it!! Interrupt them, stand up straight, look them in the eye and tell them exactly WHO you gave those papers to and that this is not the first time you have been questioned over someone elses disorganisation.

Be as professional as possible - and you MUST come across as a ball breaker in order to be treated with respect in a workplace of vultures.

I've had a job that I disliked before... but luckily that is in the past.

I have to admit that I love my job now. I get to be sarcastic and goofy 24/7. We have a very laid back atmosphere at work. How often can you call your bosses a weasel, to their face, and not get fired? Don't get me wrong... I have 100% respect for my bosses but we all get to have fun with each other. I've known them for a while now (3-4 years) but it's as if I've known them my entire life. It's pretty cool.

Everyone that hates their job should quit and come work at my office! :flowers:

Someone like that is in my office, too. Also, she'll just up and leave for any ole' occasion. And she gets away with it! I wouldn't dare pull the same stunts.

I love where I work and I have no concerns with most of the people I work with - they are all great. Except for the married co-worker having an affair with my boss. While they may have an inkling that I know, I doubt it and I don't think anyone else knows. I only know as I'm privy to inside info.

My last organization was a totally different story and I am SOOOO glad to be out of there.

I'm going to speak with my manager about one person in particular who is really causing most of the problems.
What should I say and how should I handle it?
This woman likes to try and make it seem as though I'm a handful and that I do everything wrong. It's so ridiculous.
I work at a bank and there was a certain process I had to do because the customer took out a lot of money and she could just override it because it wasn't actually physically being taken out, just being put into a check. So she had to just override it-- I haven't even done this before, and she was trying to log everything in and try to make it seem like it was this big thing and actually said RIGHT in front of my customer "If I do this they will call about it and they call about you all the time!" I never have even done this process! And all the time, I'm there like 15 hours a week, 2 1/2 days! I couldn't believe she embarrassed me over something that isn't even true right in front of someone. She has also called to me from the backroom about what I said above with missing documents and how she needs them and what I have to do and this and that and I had a customer I was working with and there was one waiting in line after them. I explained what this is a few posts above-- don't look at me, seriously.
She also picks on me to trial balance my drawer and ONLY me. It's like... try to ask at least someone else and not make it so obvious? I said to her "why am I trial balancing, I'm never off." and I said every time I go in I hear about so-and-so was off and where their money was. She actually said to me everyone is probably just asking about one specific time they were off because it takes a while which is BULLLLLLL. She screwed up our vault so it was off like 5-10 grand, don't even get me started. And again, when was I off?

Any ideas as to how I should explain this to my manager without sounding like such a whiny little victim?? I have a feeling it sounds like that... but this is all very real and very VERY frustrating.

First of all the professional thing to do would be to document the above events and be as specific as possible. Dates, even times where possible. Try to be OBJECTIVE and dot point the events if neccessary. Has she physically intimidated you? Stood over you? Document it... The plus side of documenting it as well is that your boss knows you mean business. For all he knows you have been recording these events since the first moment you felt intimitated. Trust me trust me trust me.... document it NOW and keep it current, even after every interaction you have with her if need be. Verbally express to him how this has made you feel... this woman sounds like she is on a power trip.

.... i have done this on more than one occassion (normally deal with it immediately though)... and even though my boss and I are very close, he will always stop the jokes and take me seriously when I organise a time with him, sit down and present my concern. It never back fires. Make sure you arrange a specific time to speak with him... and be tough!! not too emtional!!... as I have said, it is all about confidence.

I'm so afraid that when I talk to my manager and my manager in turn talks to her, that she's going to say all these things that will just make me sound like an idiot and like I'm really the one at fault.

I know exactly what she would say and it's a long story to type but are these examples of what I should include in what I say to her? I'm so afraid my manager will talk down to me and turn it around or something because I'm just 22 and now like twice that age as they are. I'm so afraid she won't take me seriously... so should I really leave all things with emotion out of it, like should I not say anything about how deeply it's effecting me that I can't leave it at the door when I leave anymore? Or is that good information to show the extent of it do you think?

Thanks so much for your help... I can't wait to get out of this place, I hope talking with my manager will change things.

There was an evil, evil thing that worked in my department a couple of years ago. Her home life was crap, by her own fault, and everyone else just let her treat them like crap, except for me. I fought back. I was not going to take her crap. She moved on. And the same thing happened with her in another department. She was just unhappy and used people at her work to take it out on. Don't let this person get to you. You stand up for yourself...they'll move on!!!

There's a training I took called Crucial Conversations that walks you through having well, crucial conversations. The first thing it tells you to do is ask yourself what you want out of the relationship with the person you're going to have a talk with, IN THE LONG RUN. It then helps you decide whether it's worthwhile for you to have this talk. If so then there are three different types of conversation to have: C (Content or the issue), P (Process), and R(Relationship). It's really good and I wish I could explain the whole thing here, but I can't. However, you can buy the book (I think about $15 or $16). I think this might help you have a productive conversation with your boss without feeling intimidated and possibly even get her on your side.

Good luck!