Do you have an Apple computer?

I've been an early Mac user and then had a PC. Although I admire the design and some of the apps, as well as the ease of use for new users, I just love to hack my own machine and build them from the ground up. I wouldn't ever use an Apple comp as my primary.

Another bad point for the Mac is that when you're running Linux on an Apple, there are a lot of features that aren't available (like Flash plugin) or take a really long time to become available (like WiFi).

Sidenote about vulnerabilities: Just because no virii have been visibly developped for the mac, doesn't mean there aren't any. But the people writing malware want to have something as widespead as possible. Considering the small marketshare of apple comps, there isn't much of a point writing a new version of a virus just so that it'll affect a few more computers when you can get zillions of Win ones with one program.

Hey Perja! My brother is saying just the opposite right now. He loves to build his Mac from the ground up -- he believes that he can do more with it than when he was trying to do the same with his PC.

Re: the virus thing. Of course! It's not worth it to develop them, and I'm very glad that it's not.

Macs all the way!!!!
If you are like me, computer competent but not savvy, Macs rule. Windows has literally made me weep with rage, and I am not a crier.
I can sit down at any Mac and within minutes be able to use it efficiently, not so with PCs.
We did recently purchase a PC- my husband needs one for his business at home, and though the new Macs have the dual processor and PC clone software they still have some bugs. So now I have our old Ibook, and he has a brand new Mini and the PC, but hooked up to one monitor. He just hits a button, and it toggles between the PC and the Mac. SO COOL!

I like Macs (as they are). There is a more evident sense of security with them, especially at my college where all the computer geniuses like to play tricks. Still I usually float to the Windows operated computers because I'm lazy and just know my way around Windows better :/

Perja: I wish you could chat with him too. Like I said, absolutely not my area of expertise, but he has been really enthusiastic about the Macs, recently. He is of an engineering mentality though, with a real programmer's sort of brain. He does Physics.

I reallyyyyy don't think its necessarily fair to say that 'microsoft writes ****ty code', seeing that Windows and IIS and other Microsoft '****' control a great deal of the earth, and keep our lives nice and comfortable when we need to buy something, etc.
However Windows does have its (sometimes glaring) flaws. I have been an extremely happy XP user for awhile now until a couple of days ago when my mom tripped over my laptop cord and my computer stopped booting up. I struggled with it for two days and finally fixed it by a lucky guess, but there was no Microsoft documentation to help me out in the slightest, and it was a problem that never should have happened. Stuff like that, and IE, piss me off.

Now for Apple...Macs have their place but their place is not in my home. I do a lot of graphics work and I vastly prefer to work on a PC. I have done photo editing, audio editing, film editing, you name it on both platforms and I will still take my PC over a Mac almost any day. They do look sexy and I wouldn't refuse one if someone were to give it to me, but I prefer the functionality of Windows and I like the freedom of screwing around with stuff. I have had TONS of problems with the iMac.

I do plan on buying an ipod when the new ones come out, though.

I have an iBook G4...
Why would i run Windows on a Mac ?? The whole purpose of buying Mac was to never have to use Windows ever again... worse Operating System ever!!
OSX is the easiest thing to use!!

i have an imac n a pc...
i like both of em (or maybe mac wins, coz its very well-designed) for different purpose.. i like to play online games w my pc *coz most of em dont work w mac :sad:* do my graphic stuffs w mac.

for the operation system, i think both r ok, n mac os, when u get used to it, is more user friendly than windows,..so i dont think i will its necessary to use windows in a mac

Vlad said:
My final point is, Microsoft writes ****ty code. All developers know that. Bloated operating systems with lots of bugs. Hell, the last Windows 2000 SP still left like 6,000 known bugs unfixed, and that's no joke..

That's complete and utter doo-doo. If Macs were so superior, again, why did Apple have to release 4 versions of OSX? I'm not the biggest fan of Windows, but that statement sounds more like another Mac fan clinging desperately to their slowly-evaporating technology than an impartial opinion.

You also have to realize, Microsoft has INFINITE combinations of hardware (motherboards, chipsets, video cards, etc.) and software it needs to be compatible with, whereas Apple keeps it's overly tight grip on licensing, which has hurt them TREMENDOUSLY in the marketplace. Windows running on a Mac is probably the one thing that might ultimately save Apple, if they can get past their myopic vision that has hurt them for years.

Between both platforms, every operating system has flaws, there's no way you can anticipate every problem. It's why there is this thing called BETA testing and support forums. (Like you didn't notice Apple has a tech support forum too?)
When you have the entire planet using your software, there are bound to be problems.

Being a computer technician for both macs and PCs, Windows XP and 2000 are both vastly more stable than their predecessors, and RARELY do they crash. With 2000 and XP, MS has figured out how to isolate threads that used to cause your entire system to lock up.

Also, I'm really against Apple's policy of charging for every OS upgrade, when Windows releases service packs for free. Why should you have to PAY EXTRA for Panther, Tiger, Ocelot, Sloth..... They're running out of animals at this point. IMHO, If you bought one version of OSX, you should have access to all subsequent releases of OSX.

Especially when the IPOD was originally released, if you didn't have Jaguar, (version 2,) you had to pay an ADDITIONAL $100 for that 'upgrade.' For WIndows users? It was a free service pack release.

I don't know if anyone else notices, but Apples are significantly more expensive to purchase computers, parts, hardware and support for.

And trust me, as beautiful as the Ibook is, it's a ***** to take apart when you need to remove the hard drive for data recovery. I've spent an hour trying to extract them, where almost every PC has instant access to a hard drive with one or two screws. Great design to look at, terrible design to work on.