Do You Have A Uniform?

Summer is linen blouses and pants, Lily Pulitzer-type prints, needlepoint shoes or Belgians, my jewelry and a Nantucket basket I inherited from my mother-in-law (yes, it's the real deal).

I have a couple of Nantucket Lightship baskets too! I only tend to use when staying on the island otherwise, H rules!!

I only use my Nantucket basket for "everyday" while on the Vineyard but do use it for church and going out to lunch or dinner from Memorial Day through Labor Day (sometimes longer). I adore it - it was made for my mother-in-law in 1964. I have it serviced at the scrimshaw shop in Edgartown every summer.

My DH laughs about my "uniform" which generally is tan or black pants and a white t-shirt/shirt. Occasionally I will wear a colored t-shirt. My cooler weather wear is neutral too - jeans or black jeans & cashmere sweater & scarf.

OK, my uniform (according to my Best Friend, whom I just asked!) is dresses and skirts, closely followed by jeans in cool weather and capri pants in warm weather. I keep warm with fine knit cardigans and short (hip length) tailored jackets - rarely a coat (but only because where I live my coats are rarely needed). Shoes can be heels/boots/flats, as long as they are pretty! I am definitely a dress/skirt girl!

In the US, you seem to wear trousers a lot?

My primary uniform is a dress, which is most of my wardrobe. Usually collared, boat, or crew neck. Sleeve length varies. I like sheath, fit and flare, military, and shirt dresses. Mostly solid colors or stripes, or an occasionally interesting pattern that's not "too much." Always tailored (no boho, shift, or similar loose cuts for me). All this is less work to decide what I have to put on, and it keeps me polished and feminine. Will add a shrug sometimes, too.

My secondary uniform is a silk shirt with skinny jeans or skinny black ponte pants and a blazer - sometimes a skirt in lieu of pants, though I'm starting to phase them out in favor of more dresses. I might also layer with a cashmere or cotton sweater/cardigan over the shirt in winter or if I want to be more casual and not wear my blazer.

Pearl earrings for daily jewelry.

Last edited: