Do you have a "Hermes Ceiling"?

Fishfood

Still Abby Fabby!!
O.G.
Oct 21, 2006
And by that, I am leaving it kinda open.

Generally, though, do you love H but as much as you long for something... silver jewelry, fine china, etc... You can't bring yourself to pay for it because it's higher than you're willing to pay for that kind of item?

Are you still telling yourself no and shutting off a purchase, did you gradually get used to H prices and allow it, or finally just get sick of obsessing and buy it? LoL

Although I like Birkin and bag stories, I'd really like to hear your "branching out" stories, too...

Share share!!

If by "ceiling" you mean a $ limit, then yes I have an hermes ceiling. The problem (or not) though is that I obsess about something, dream about it, rationalize it, make a plan to acquire it (sell other bags, clothes, shoes, etc.) and then once that "ceiling" has been broken through, it is somehow easier to do the next time and I repeat the whole process again. I become a bit desensitized to the previous ceiling. The important thing though is that I never go beyond my means or jeopardize us financially. I always make other concessions and prioritize my spending.

Croc. It's so far above my ceiling my brain shuts down when I try to think about it. It's weird, because I've spent more than a croc birkin's worth on bags, but I can't do it on just one. I don't know why. I have no objection to anyone else buying one, but it's an unbreakable ceiling for my wallet.

Croc. It's so far above my ceiling my brain shuts down when I try to think about it. It's weird, because I've spent more than a croc birkin's worth on bags, but I can't do it on just one. I don't know why. I have no objection to anyone else buying one, but it's an unbreakable ceiling for my wallet.

Me too. I totally understand. So one day I came across a used croc kelly in ficelle, after much negotiation, I went nuts and got it. It is the most expensive "handbag" I've ever purchased, and since then (last year), I have not spent that much on a bag, and doubt if I ever will again.

Well,....unless I strike gold or win the lottery. But for ppl who are so wealthy, there are no limits, and good for them too. :biggrin:

OMG! We're on the same wave length, FISHFOOD. I was just going to post a new thread about just this subject because of what happened to me the other day.

I was in the store and fell in love with a bag on the shelf that is not a Kelly and not a Birkin although the price point was more than a Kelly and a little less than a Birkin.....and I didn't buy it. I couldn't justify the price for the design. I had no problem buying a Chevre Kelly last year for a little over $6,200.00 but I wouldn't pay the same amount the other day for a bag that looked like a more feminine version of the LV Coppola bag.

I guess that's my ceiling and I didn't think I had one.

I'm still wondering how they could ask for over $6K on a bag that, seriously, looks like a large Tootsie Roll?

I have different ceilings for different things. While I appreciate the beauty of H china, my ceiling on dishes is pretty low. Actually very low. LOL! So even if they had a 50% off sale on it, it would still be above my ceiling.

I have a different ceiling on bags. Much higher. Croc is above my ceiling - just like gga. But I will spend up to 3 times my normal non-H bag ceiling on H.

Oddly enough, I apparently had a wallet ceiling. I bought a gorgeous kelly long wallet, chevre mysore, etoupe, PHW and I ADORED it. But it was above my ceiling and I finally sold it because everytime I looked at it, I pictured what else I could have purchased with that money.

I think that's the key for me. When I can buy something without a thought of "what else I could have bought with that money" it's not above my ceiling. When I have those thoughts, it is.

The clic clac was above my ceiling for what it was. So I traded it off. The KDT isn't.

If I had the money back would I buy the same thing again? If yes, then it's not above my ceiling - even if that's $20k. If no, then it is above my ceiling. Even if it's a $125 twilly.

Hi Fishfood! Great thread!
After seeing some of the casual photos with the JYPSIERE bag, I trotted off to my H store & was left standing with my mouth wide open when I was quoted the price. Like you S'Mom, I've purchased birkins & kellys for the same amount or more without blinking (too much!) but I could not bring myself to purchase the JYPSIERE. Instead, I purchase the less expensive H bags or birkins & kellys.

I have different ceilings for different things. While I appreciate the beauty of H china, my ceiling on dishes is pretty low. Actually very low. LOL! So even if they had a 50% off sale on it, it would still be above my ceiling.

I have a different ceiling on bags. Much higher. Croc is above my ceiling - just like gga. But I will spend up to 3 times my normal non-H bag ceiling on H.

Oddly enough, I apparently had a wallet ceiling. I bought a gorgeous kelly long wallet, chevre mysore, etoupe, PHW and I ADORED it. But it was above my ceiling and I finally sold it because everytime I looked at it, I pictured what else I could have purchased with that money.

I think that's the key for me. When I can buy something without a thought of "what else I could have bought with that money" it's not above my ceiling. When I have those thoughts, it is.

The clic clac was above my ceiling for what it was. So I traded it off. The KDT isn't.

If I had the money back would I buy the same thing again? If yes, then it's not above my ceiling - even if that's $20k. If no, then it is above my ceiling. Even if it's a $125 twilly.

Yes, yes, I agree with this logic! For example, I'd rather have a bag than a dozen small leather goods. I also have not bought certain bags that I consider "'half a birkin or kelly" because I wouldn't get as much enjoyment from them. I also don't buy hermes rtw. I happily spend $$$ on a bag, but wouldn't spend 30% of that amount on a dress. I do have a weakness for silks and shawls, though. But, I have about a dozen twillies that are a complete waste of money for me (unless they are preventing handles from becoming darkened) because I don't use them. I think I need to sell those twillies :thinking:

Excellent thread! Love reading other's thoughts :flowers:

I'm with IL and Shoemania, the wallets. I can't do it. I adore them, but just think of the % of a bag they are. Maybe someday I'll find a Hermes wallet I can't live without, but for now, that's my "ceiling item" :blush:

For me, the ceiling is the number of bags, shawls and mousselines.

I decided recently I have too many H bags to really use and enjoy each of them. Especially with some items I have on order for the fall. So I am ridding myself of some bags -- it's really hard because I love each of them, but it is totally the right thing to do.

My ceiling is the number of scarves. I have about 15 regular size and sometimes I feel it's too much but I love them all. I do sell those that I fall out of love with/never wear in order to make room for at least one new one per season.

Like gga and IrishLass, croc is above my ceiling. I think Hermes croc bags are just goreous and impeccably made, but I just can't rationalize spending that money. One of the things I think about for something that costs $32,000 is whether I would enjoy it four times as much as a non-croc bag of the same style that costs one-quarter the amount. And I find that the rewards are not four times as much.

Yes - on their "fine jewelry"

I think the prices on their diamond-encrusted jewelry is waaayyy too high (and not just in a "over my budget" kinda way) and I just can't justify paying that price for those pieces. I'd rather take that amount to a smaller jeweller to get a nicer/bigger piece.