Do you guys only buy things on sale?

These are pretty much my rules as well. As great as it is to get something on sale, I find that I actually spend less money if I just buy the item I wanted in the first place. There's none of this "OMG! A Sale! Squeeee!" and then proceeding to look for everything in my size just.because.it's.on.sale.
I have an SA from my favourite store/brand that will send me emails when items are on sale and I buy a lot of things this way but seeing shirts on sale at Banana Republic for 60% off makes me want to stock up on four at a time when in reality I really only needed one - or none at all.
I have to ask myself: are you buying this because it's on sale/it's a good deal? If the answer is yes, then it doesn't come home with me. Makes for a much smaller but well-loved closet. I think money-wise, the same amount is spent. It's either $400 for a blazer I really need to complete an outfit or eight $50 pieces that don't go with anything or that I'll get little use out of. I think sometimes when you have specific brands that you wear or flatter you, you tend to only shop those brands and hence take advantage of their sales instead of stalking every store in the mall.

I completely agree! I spend about the same buying sale pieces as when I do buying a mix of sale and full-price. But I definitely get more use out of my clothes now that I more carefully edit ALL of my purchases. With sales I think I just get too excited while with full priced items I don't make as many impulse or bulk purchases. I'm more likely to buy 1 pair of full priced shoes, but have been known to go nuts buying 3-6 pairs at a time on sale!

I don't usually buy on sale since I feel like everything is pretty picked over. Of course I'd prefer buying sale items and saving money but I find that I don't even want the stuff a lot of the time.

Don't get me wrong, I love sales and the truth is, every time you walk into J.Crew, The Gap, Banana Republic or even a big department store, there's always a 30% sign on top of almost every display. I think it's natural to gravitate towards the items that you're getting a deal on. It does seem that the day the stores get their Spring stuff, it's on sale the day it comes out and kinda stays on sale with the exception of maybe a few weeks here and there when it goes back to full price, only to be marked down again two weeks later.
I think for me personally, when I think of buying things on sale I think about outlet mall shopping and stores like Last Call, Nordstrom Rack etc. I really only shop about three times a year when i go on vacation (it's a shopping/pool/golf vacation) and always hit up the outlets because we just don't have them here. I get the "outlet mentality" and start acting all crazy and think, well if I can get these pants for $49, I bet so-and-so has them for $39 and uh, well I think I had a coupon for something here if only I spend $150 I can get 15% off and.... so I get so wrapped up in prices and I have learned in the last few years to be more interested in the actual piece of clothing I need. You know? I have to stop myself from buying Ferragamo shoes because they're $179 - especially when they're in a colour or style that I'm not really crazy about or already have an almost identical pair. Would I love this dress if it wasn't DVF? If the label said Deanna Van Flutzenstein, would I still buy it? I do appreciate well-made, quality clothing in the proper size but I just can't buy "because it's on sale" anymore.

It looks like I am in the minority here but I avoid the sales like the plague. (I live in London and the sales are not as good as in the US anyway) In fact I haven't been near the shops since the 1st January as the mad sale season starts in Oxford street. I see on tv armies of people camping outside Selfridges and Harrods on Boxing Day to get a good deal and I am totally mystified. There is nothing I want that much as to put myself through such discomfort. Don't get me wrong I like to save money as much as anyone else, but I prefer to buy nothing than to put myself through that much suffering. I will order things on line if they are on sale, but I refuse to go to the shops to rummage through rails and rails of messy clothes to find so called bargains. A lot of shops in the
UK don't do proper sales anyway but bring 'special items' to sell at a discount. The things I really want hardly ever go one sale and if they do most sizes are already gone. I really like to ENJOY my shopping and do it leisurely without the crowds. (;)Ideally I'd like to be offered a glass of champagne and canapés while I decide..lol) Has anyone seen the tv clip of Selfridges opening its doors on Boxing Day?

- If the item is inexpensive and I really love it, I'll buy it even if it's not on sale.
- If it's expensive AND there's a high chance it will sell out in my size OR it's a brand that never goes on sale, I will buy it at full-price. But I don't do this often, and I need that feeling of "I cannot live without this item" before I'll let myself buy it. And of course, it has to make sense within my budget. :smile:

I'd guess that about 70% of my wardrobe was purchased on sale. About 95% of my kids and husband's wardrobes were purchased on sale.

it depends on what it is and where it is from...J.Crew was my crack last year, but I've quickly learned that a LOT of their items will go on sale, and there's usually a lot of additional 30% off promotions that can be applied on top of the sale price. So for places like this, i will only buy on sale, or wait for a coupon. The unfortunate thing is that i did get sale goggles on --- have taken them off finally, and am trying to have a more disciplined approach towards it this year.

For items such as shoes and bags, which are high end....i tend to veer towards classics so they are items that will generally never go on sale. Or promotions. So for those, it's full price -- I'm not a big fan of buying second hand fashion items...but perhaps that's an avenue that i will consider, especially for brands that are very very expensive that i should probably give myself a hard knock on the head for even considering paying retail for (Hermes...i am looking at you)

Hmmmm, interesting question.

There are some things I know quite comfortably I can wait until it goes on sale and buy then. I like buying some items on theOutnet.com. And in my recent quest for a summer-suitable weekend wardrobe I bought just about every item on sale - thrilling!!

However, there are specific items that I know will suit me, that I know I will get loads of wear out of and that I know will sell quickly: really, if something ticks all those boxes for me, the law of large numbers suggests it's going to work just the same for lots of other women too :biggrin:

So if it's an item like that and there is a space in my wardrobe for it i.e. I don't have an equivalent item already, I will buy it full price.

I definitely find I am susceptible to the psychology of 'it's on sale - you should buy it because it's a great deal' and I am less prone to applying my usual strict rule of 'do you need this particular item' - that way I have actually bought a lot of stuff and ended up sending it straight back to theOutnet.com!! :shame: So I'm trying to be more circumspect :biggrin:

Usually, yes I only buy things on sale. My parents needed to be very frugal when raising my siblings and me, and my funds are limited now so I have to stretch every dollar! Also, we all know how high retail markup is. ;) With that said, I don't always wait for clearance-level prices, I am willing to spend a little more on items I really love, and I have learned to resist buying items just because they are on sale.

I buy almost all of my clothes on sale, but I no longer buy anything just because it's on sale.

I've learned to save money for the big seasonal events, and I'm lucky to live in a state where I can make trips to warehouses and outlets. I also tend to buy classic pieces, and I am normally not so fixated on a particular brand/item that I must have it when a comparable piece is on sale.

For example, if I want another silk blouse, I wouldn't be opposed to buying a Theory or Parker instead of Joie or BCBG if it meets my requirements for what I want. I'm as picky for sale items as I would be if I bought it full price, and I won't buy one item over another because it's cheaper.

However, most items are not worth full price, imo, and a lot of stuff will go on sale if you're patient and willing to scout. I mostly shop online, and I'll check out Nordstrom, BG, Neiman, Saks, etc., as well as the brands' home site, to assess my options. I have enough key pieces now that I don't need to rush any purchases, so I can wait for the sales. If my size is gone, no biggie. I usually get what I want eventually.

Even my designer clothes I get on sale. I'm not against paying retail, but it'd have to be a truly amazing investment piece, and I'd have to try on in person to ensure the fabric is good quality (even designer items are hit or miss these days). But so far, even amazing pieces I can usually get on sale. Maybe I've just been lucky :biggrin:

Like some others have said, I like the idea of stretching my dollars but it's not easy to find what I want/ need during sales. For items I love or those I know will never make it to sales and I'm certain I'll get a lot of wear out of, I do not mind paying full-price. Some of my best purchases have worked out that way. That said, I'm surprised to snag a few Repettos that I have wanted for ages during this end of year sales.

Really interesting thread!

Im on maternity leave at the moment and where I can, I try to not buy things at full price. I am trying to make it into a 'game' to see how much I can save whilst on mat leave.

I have applied for my favourite shops and brand email newsletters (and they tend to send out special discount deals, joining discounts, birthday discounts etc) - it might only be 10% but its better than nothing!

When there is a full priced item I like, I scour the internet to find the cheapest store that sells it - got some real bargains by doing that!

I sell my old gold to fund new fine jewellery

I use my points cards when shopping at supermarkets, beauty stores etc to get loyalty points.

I think I have only bought 3 items of clothes at full price so far (in the last 7 months):
A couple of dresses
A pair of Stuart Weitzman boots

Thats it, I think! I also keep a list of what the item cost me versus its full price - I then calculate what I have saved each month. I have saved myself a couple of thousand pounds so far!

I typically always wait for a sale or some sort of discount. I can think of two pieces of clothing that I've bought full priced in the last year, and that was because they were items I really wanted and thought would sell out in my size.

I often frequent consignment shops and stalk on eBay to find the items I want. My mentality is that there's ALWAYS a discount somewhere - why shouldn't I get it?

I will pretty much only buy stuff that is on sale, even when I admit, it doesn't necessarily make sense. I grew up in a family that was fairly poor, and my mother had some unfortunately stingy attitudes about money, so that's infiltrated my subconscious, as much as I try to ignore it.

I thrift shop a bit and scour Ebay occasionally, but I also rarely get attached to a particular item of clothing. If I want a pair of black riding boots, as long as I can find a pair I like, I don't really care beyond that. The one item I have trouble buying is pants--I pretty much have to wear petites, which are much harder to find. Of course, it's possible to hem things (which I will be doing with a pair of Alice + Olivia pants from TJ Maxx), but often the fit doesn't work otherwise. I have gotten some amazing clothes from being frugal, but I also need to invest in some high quality pieces, which I might not be able to get heavily discounted. I'm working on psyching myself up :smile:

My husband is trying to cultivate a less stingy attitude in me (since we can afford nice things on occasion), and only one thing he's said has worked. We enjoy food and eat out a fair bit, and I have no problem spending $50 on a meal for the two of us. Given that food is entirely transient (that's the non-gross way of thinking about it), why should I be willing to spend that or more for something that is permanent and reusable?