Workplace Do you give your boss/manager a present for Xmas?

babypie

Jun 3, 2007
What does your workplace do about presents for your boss/manager?

I personally don’t buy mine a present because we’re not close and don’t even talk about anything other than work. I don’t even celebrate Christmas personally (I’m not Christian).

I did, however, find this a little presumptuous and pushy. I got the following email from one of the women in my department not asking for contributions for a present for our manager, but telling us to contribute. It’s not the money, $20 is neither here nor there, I just thought it was really rude of her to assume that we'd all want to contribute.

The email was worded:

"Hi everyone! We thought we’d all pitch in $20 for ____’s present. We’re getting her a gift card to ____. I’ll be collecting the money, please pay by Monday. Thanks!"

I'm going to just give them $20 to keep the peace, I just thought it was presumptuous and it got me wondering if others give a present to their boss or not...

i would love to hear others' perspective on this! i once bought 2 bottles of wine for my boss/mentor bc i truly truly looked up to him and appreciated him for his help to my career and he told me "thank you but you really dont have to and shouldnt have"....since then i always wondered if it is a good idea........

i would love to hear others' perspective on this! i once bought 2 bottles of wine for my boss/mentor bc i truly truly looked up to him and appreciated him for his help to my career and he told me "thank you but you really dont have to and shouldnt have"....since then i always wondered if it is a good idea........

Aww, that's so nice. One year my boss made out a wish list and emailed it to the department (this is the same boss I'm talking about in my OP)

I always buy the main boss and my office manager a gift. I actually buy everyone in the office something...but my location is a small office, and is family-owned (not my family by blood, but I consider them family since I've worked here so long & they feel the same about me). We only have a total of 6 people (including myself) that are in my office daily. My boss always gives each of us a nice Christmas bonus each year, so I feel like a gift for him is the least I can do since he's so generous. IMO, getting him a gift helps express my appreciation for all that he does for me.

It all depends on the boss. I've given bottles of Champagne, hand-crafted large mugs, a silver keychain from Tiffany or sometimes just a card.

Sometimes nothing. It really depends on the dynamic of the team and how I'm treated.