Workplace Do you give your boss/manager a present for Xmas?

since I'm boss-less this year I didn't give any gifts; I did celebrate with coworkers with drinks and good food on company dime

if I'm on friendly terms with boss, I'll give gift. the reason being is cos I always remember the little things, and when I see something I think someone I'm on friendly terms with eg friends/family I'd get them it..with no occasion at all..if its pricey then I do save it for birthday, xmas etc..so for boss it's inappropriate to give the small gifts I find that I know they'd love

except on Christmas/holiday season and their birthday...I'm talking small token, thought more then $$$ gifts

if I'm not on friendly terms I'd probably not know what to get and altogether skip, just bring food goodies to work for everyone to share

I do not give my boss a Christmas gift. I am a consultant and not an employee of the company where I am working, so it might actually be inappropriate for me to do so anyway.

She has given me a nice card and a Starbucks gift card the last couple Christmases. Thoughtful but not OTT. Perfect.

I used to give my bosses chocolates for christmas. Simple and enjoyable but not to be misread.

This year I am my own boss, but my one of my staff members got me a pressie ( A vintage style apron and a diamonte pink pen that i can wear around my neck) and I bought bought the two of them something small each (pin-up branded moisturiser/ bubble bath) to show my appreciation.

I give my boss and coworkers small gifts every year. He is a foodie, well travelled, and likes a good drink. I bought him a book that lists all the different beers from around the world you should try before you die...pretty cool. He got us each a $100 gift card to a really good restaurant.

I'm not a manager, but my friends and family members who own or run their companies agree that they feel awkward about receiving gifts from subordinates. I think the holidays are stressful enough, and the gift-giving thing just adds to it. Other than the boss/subordinate gift situation, there's the "not leaving anyone out" situation, too. If you work for a really big company, where there are like 50 people in your office, how do you decide who to give to without alienating anyone? I gave up giving holiday gifts to people (except for the ones I consider friends, and I give them their gifts outside work), but at other times throughout the year, I sometimes will bring food, candy, or baked goods and leave them in the break room for everyone to eat.

After being in the workforce for quite a few years now, I've encountered some really bad situations, and I see this issue as nothing to get worked up over. If this is the worst situation anyone has at work, I'd consider it a blessing. If I were in the OP's particular situation, I'd just give the $20 and be done with it. However, I understand that $20 is a lot of money to some people, so another option would be to give less and firmly tell the collector that all you're willing to give is $5 or $10 or whatever amount the person feels is right. Or if you don't want to give at all, just don't. You shouldn't have to explain yourself. It's your right to give or not.

god...i am sooo late to this thread but compelled to share.

at my old job, just like OP, we got this email tellling us everyone to chip in $X0 dollars for the 3 bosses. she's the one got an audi car for $1...why the rest of us had to give the bosses a gift each and didn't receive an audi car??? WTF. if she needed to kiss their asse$...she could give each a bj and call it the year.
i have NEVER heard staffs had to give bosses gifts... NEVER, EVER.
to top it off....i hated 2 of 3 with a passion. one is a weasel and one is a sociopath.