Do you find that your jewelry style goes through different “phases”?What phase are you in right now?

M

MagpieInTraining

I was just thinking about this the other day - my style has changed so much over the years, specifically with respect to jewellery. Of course when I was a young teenager it was completely different and I’m not counting back then. But when I was 16-18ish jewellery didn’t matter to me, so I never wore any except a cheap Swatch.

In the subsequent decade or so I first developed a very classic minimalist style (discreet Tag Carrera and super small diamond studs), then a slightly more “blingy” style (but only WG, bigger diamonds etc.), then a brief coloured stones phase, then I had a branded jewellery phase where I wore only either solitaires or my few Cartier/VCA pieces (love bracelet, VA pendant). Oh then a mixed metals phase where I had to wear at least one piece in a different colour. Recently I’ve been going back to my Indian roots a bit more and wearing more traditional looking pieces with my western/work clothes. They aren’t big pieces of jewellery but they are very traditional (eg enamel, carved or with polki/kundan, in bright YG).

It also hasn’t been a linear progression - I’ve had months where I’ve gone back to an “older” look (so going from branded weeks to coloured stone weeks to a month of classic WG). It also isn’t really tied to clothing style, because I’ve had the same clothing/makeup style for the better part of a decade. Also, this mixing up my look thing only really started a couple years ago. Before this I used to pretty religiously only wear the exact same watch and earrings every single day, only swapping them out for special occasions.

So TPFers - let’s hear your thoughts!

Wow. Actually, a very profound question.
Jewelry is an inherent human need for adornment that is as ancient as humanity itself so I embrace the journey it takes me on.
Like you, I started in my late teens/early 20’s wearing minimalist jewelry. I went through the pearl ring and add-a-bead necklace phase (anyone remember add a bead??)
Then I was obsessed with brand name designer jewelry. Rolex, Yurman, Tiffany etc. This phase lasted through my 30’s and 40’s.
Then I spent a long time trading out my sterling silver and designer jewelry for gold and more “important” pieces... especially gold and platinum Tiffany pieces. This happened exactly when I hit 50.
At the present time, I still gravitate toward Tiffany but have lately appreciated the value of unbranded but still quality jewelry. Vintage jewelry also interests me now.
Lately I have done a lot of research and self-instruction on gemology and am toying with getting a gemology degree!
Presently, I am thinking of purchasing a few loose stones but I still need more education before I dive into that challenge!
So I find the journey fascinating and am looking forward to where it takes me!!!!
I am very interested what other TpF-ers have to say on this!!!!

Wow I think it’s really cool that you want to get a gemology degree! Lots to learn and discover :smile:

I also find it quite interesting about what you said about the inherent human need for adornment. It has been a part of all cultures in some shape and form or the other, even ancient civilisations!

Wow. Actually, a very profound question.
Jewelry is an inherent human need for adornment that is as ancient as humanity itself so I embrace the journey it takes me on.
Like you, I started in my late teens/early 20’s wearing minimalist jewelry. I went through the pearl ring and add-a-bead necklace phase (anyone remember add a bead??)
Then I was obsessed with brand name designer jewelry. Rolex, Yurman, Tiffany etc. This phase lasted through my 30’s and 40’s.
Then I spent a long time trading out my sterling silver and designer jewelry for gold and more “important” pieces... especially gold and platinum Tiffany pieces. This happened exactly when I hit 50.
At the present time, I still gravitate toward Tiffany but have lately appreciated the value of unbranded but still quality jewelry. Vintage jewelry also interests me now.
Lately I have done a lot of research and self-instruction on gemology and am toying with getting a gemology degree!
Presently, I am thinking of purchasing a few loose stones but I still need more education before I dive into that challenge!
So I find the journey fascinating and am looking forward to where it takes me!!!!
I am very interested what other TpF-ers have to say on this!!!!

What an interesting and thought provoking question, plus a lovely trip down nostalgia lane haha.

I started off really into the boho look, with lots of stacking and colour, then moved onto delicate minimalist pieces (a single pendant or bangle) towards my late teenage years/ early twenties. Then suddenly brand awareness hit and I was very into Tiffany silver, followed by the other designer gold pieces. Gemstones weren't much of interest then.

About a decade later now, I'm still into the branded high end items but am also gaining an appreciation for antique pieces and local designers.

Quite funny that all of the above does not apply to earrings though. Apart from a very short fling with big dangly pretty earrings soon after piercing my ears, I have always veered towards small delicate gold studs which are comfortable enough to sleep in and remain in my ear for months on end. At the end of the day, I think I have consistently prioritised comfort and low maintenance over everything else (which is possibly why I eschewed gemstones in the past as the cleaning was too faffy!).

I was just thinking about this the other day - my style has changed so much over the years, specifically with respect to jewellery. Of course when I was a young teenager it was completely different and I’m not counting back then. But when I was 16-18ish jewellery didn’t matter to me, so I never wore any except a cheap Swatch.

In the subsequent decade or so I first developed a very classic minimalist style (discreet Tag Carrera and super small diamond studs), then a slightly more “blingy” style (but only WG, bigger diamonds etc.), then a brief coloured stones phase, then I had a branded jewellery phase where I wore only either solitaires or my few Cartier/VCA pieces (love bracelet, VA pendant). Oh then a mixed metals phase where I had to wear at least one piece in a different colour. Recently I’ve been going back to my Indian roots a bit more and wearing more traditional looking pieces with my western/work clothes. They aren’t big pieces of jewellery but they are very traditional (eg enamel, carved or with polki/kundan, in bright YG).

It also hasn’t been a linear progression - I’ve had months where I’ve gone back to an “older” look (so going from branded weeks to coloured stone weeks to a month of classic WG). It also isn’t really tied to clothing style, because I’ve had the same clothing/makeup style for the better part of a decade. Also, this mixing up my look thing only really started a couple years ago. Before this I used to pretty religiously only wear the exact same watch and earrings every single day, only swapping them out for special occasions.

So TPFers - let’s hear your thoughts!

Definitely... I was into hoops and dangly earrings when I was in my teens, a name brand stage, (Juicy Couture, Tiffany's) then more minimalist when I was in my 20's, and now in my early 30's, have been branching out into vintage jewelry. I wear studs or huggies in my lobes... I sometimes like the look of fancier, bigger stuff but am most comfortable in tiny studs. It's fun to add some interest with different styles (I have both lobes pierced twice, as well as a cartilage piercing) or an ear cuff here or there, while still not worrying about the weight of heavier styles.

I have a couple dozen charms and chains in silver and gold, so I love playing with those. :smile:

Hi!

As a guy, for me it started with a moderately priced stainless steel tie clip and cuff links from a typical small town men's clothing store sometime during my mid-teen years, iirc. Basically when I started to wear suits more regularly.

A watch I had before that time, maybe during 3rd grade I got my first "real" watch. I wasn't really ready for it. A chronograph from a slightly upscale department store. Not really expensive but rather fragile. It broke within days of receiving it. A couple of years later I got a G-Shock and I wear that for quite some time. After that it got a little more serious - to go with the tie clip and cuff links - it was a titanium chronograph from one of those jewelry franchises.

At 18 I got my first mechanical wristwatch.

I started looking into tie clips and cuff links again and went with pieces from well known designer/ fashion houses.

From there I went to bespoke jewelry, because I had a pretty clear idea of what I wanted now, still speaking of tie clips and cuff links.

I still have some of those designer/ fashion house pieces as I always bought what I liked. I decide on a daily base/ for the occasion which of the pieces to wear. All of these are pretty much timeless and mix well. So does a small collection of mostly leather bracelets for casual outfits.

To round it off, I also keep a quality silver lighter to go with my more formal stuff. But it get's rarely used these days. Less and less (cigarette) smokers at any given social event. And I don't use it for my cigars as it's not really suited.

Oh, and if you want to count it as jewelry/accessory, a quality pen (fountain or ball-point/ink) and handmade knife.

Never really did the "funny"/ over the top type accessories. Doesn't appeal to me. Maybe if I would still be in "corporate world" and needed something to keep me sane/ set apart from others. lol. ;)

So yeah, even as a guy, I certainly think there are phases from growing up, teenage years, first (real) suit, first job ... were jewelry/watches & accessories change.

But that's from a more old school standpoint/ perspective. Future generations will handle this very differently, I'm sure.

Kind regards,
Oliver

Last edited by a moderator:
Great topic for a thread. (I still wear a Swatch! It's part of my everyday stuff - handy to have a wristwatch.)

As a teenager, I wore all kinds of jewelry: costume, silver, some gold, really eye-catching dangly earrings, holiday-themed stuff, an ear cuff, etc.

Later on as a student I started wearing mostly silver and some gold, and I liked color and coordinating my jewelry to match my outfit or to have necklace/bracelet/or earrings from the same set.

Once I got married, I mostly started wearing gold jewelry as it was the easiest to maintain and everything matched pretty well. I have downsized my jewelry collection and for the most part have not kept the semiprecious stones or the costume jewelry. I have gotten rid of almost all of my gold-plated jewelry, and I've stopped buying plated jewelry at holiday fairs and such. I used to pick up souvenirs like that pretty readily, but the upkeep was time-consuming as far as looking into getting things replated. I have stopped wearing long earrings but will occasionally wear small hoops. Earlobe thinning is a real phenomenon and I want to protect my piercings for as long as I can!

I really need to find a jeweler who will work with me to reset some of the better stuff. I guess my approach these days is that I rely on a few classic/basic pieces in gold every day, and I hardly ever veer from that, though I definitely admire other people's jewelry collections.

Great thread -- I'm enjoying reading all the thoughtful answers. I was always into fashion jewelry as opposed to "real" jewelry. I loved big necklaces, dangly earrings and stacks of bracelets. Most of my jewelry purchases were from boutiques I encountered while traveling, or craft fairs with unique hand made pieces. I have a decent H fashion jewelry collection (CDC's, silver, other leather bracelets) and I do have one nice watch that I wear every day (and another one on the way) but for the most part, expensive jewelry is not my thing (bags are another story).

However, lately, I've come to appreciate the beauty of fine jewelry - whether branded or unbranded. I like VCA due to the classic design but I also love a well-made vintage piece or a modern design that is sleek and classic. Recently, I had a jeweler transform some unworn diamond jewelry into a pair of fantastic earrings! I smile every time I look at these earrings and I ordered myself a crazy ring to match. I don't know where this new found jewelry obsession is coming from but lately I've been contemplating spending my hard earned money on jewelry as opposed to bags! I may even need to get a real jewelry box (gasp!)

thank you for posting this tread :smile:
when I was in my late teens to early 20s I liked Swarovski jewellery that was chunky and sparkly. I used to wear this when I went out with friends. it was a fun phase, and ive sold off most of it now as I don't wear it anymore. ive kept one very cool necklace.

I started bought two very small pieces in my early 20s with my first pay rise. both were rings and one had a sapphire and the other a blue diamond (before they were cool).

In my mid to late 20s I preferred classic pieces of "real" jewellery. I wanted them to last forever, and to provide a good base for mixing and matching. My more expensive pieces were in platinum, but I did buy some yellow gold and rose gold in more minimalistic settings. Im not stuck in one tone of metal or anything, I preferred (and still do) different coloured metals for different things and to match different outfits. I still bought silver pieces too, more design pieces without any stones.
I used to love purple stones and blue stones. Mostly amethyst and sapphire.

In my early 30s now I prefer art deco style settings rather than the classic settings I used to buy. I find that they work well with my broad base of classic jewellery. Im finding im drawn to antiques as well, as I never used to like them previously. I used to buy more classic settings (I was still happy to go second hand if it was what I wanted).
At the moment Im loving green! As much as I still love purple and blue coloured stones, im really drawn to green emeralds. Considering I still wear amethyst and sapphire jewellery, I know I wont stop wearing my emeralds. Maybe I wont be as enamoured by them but still enjoy them.

This is what ive noticed :smile: