Do you find Coach 1941 Collection bags to be comparable to higher end contemporary/premier bags?

jade

O.G.
Jan 15, 2006
I'll admit, I have had expensive taste since I was a kid. My first dream bag was a Kelly bag when I was a preteen [long before I knew the price. ;)].

As a young adult, Coach was one of my first designer bags. I have been a Coach fan since then, and have many other Coach bags. As I have gotten older, and my disposable income has increased, I have thought about upgrading my bag choice. And I did - I got a Ferragamo bag. It was my daily bag for work and weekend. It is great, but sadly no longer fits my current incarnation of work needs, so its time in the rotation has decreased some.

So I started thinking about finding another premium daily bag for the past year (or more) once I realized my laptop-friendly backpack wasn't really cutting it alone. I used my existing crossbody bags, but I wanted something luxe to carry every day - that isn't too big. A WOC briefly crossed my mind, but I need more space than that and prefer to care my current iteration of a full sized wallet, plus essentials.

So I started looking around casually. Examining bags at my local boutiques and department stores. And I started to notice - a lot of bags didn't seem very premium. The bags at a slightly higher price point than Coach aren't any nicer - with fabric linings hit or miss details. Even the premium brands weren't a guarantee of a luxe feel. Most Tods bags are lined in fabric. Ferragamo is maybe 60/40 leather/cloth. But the stitching and other build quality is amazing, so they get a pass. The SA told me people think leather lining is too heavy.

I got a Mulberry bag this year - it is nicely made. While it didn't end up being quite the right new daily driver - it was a good purchase. I have picked up and returned a few other ones, unfortunately. They seem to miss on some details - straps are really short and sometimes the pockets are kinda useless. I saw a few bags that were too small to fit my cell phone - even though the dimensions seemed reasonable. They need to make a few tweaks to their designs to be more practical.

I haven't checked out Chanel, but that is way out of my budget and it also feels like they have traded luxury and quality for profits in many ways. So while part of me would love a reissue flap bag, I don't think I want to invest that way, particularly in a newer bag with their policy shifts. Hermes is way out of the budget - but I am sure those are super luxe.

Anyway, in my cross-shopping, I keep coming back to the 1941 bags - which feel quite premium (even though they are not made in Europe), and Coach has served me well over the years, most bags I have have been really durable and do not show too much wear - even when I do not treat them kindly. And I have been super happy with my 1941 collection so far and other recent acquisitions (Urbane crossbody, Market Tote, Nomad, Drifter Top Handle, Dinky) as they are luxe feeling, have minimal branding and are pretty timeless in style. Coach also does a good job including practical details - cell phone pockets, key holders etc.

So maybe going premium doesn't really make sense. I haven't found anything that seems worth the extra money. Has anyone else been feeling this way?

I have. I will admit, when Coach went into the 1941 direction and raised prices, I was skeptical. But now, after owning 4 1941 items (2 Rogues, a Rogue satchel and a quilted Dinky), I don't see how I can A) go back to former Coach items and B) would want to spend even more $$ on premium brands because the quality is so top notch, I am completely satisfied with them.

Before owning the rogue bag, I am kind of person who owns only one bag and only purchase the next bag when the current one no longer fits her needs.
I used to purchase a bag and use it to death. maybe because of my working environment, I am an engineer in the industry where full of dudes. I even barely see another women on my floor, I never need a statement piece from what I am carrying. I would consider handbag purchase by the same sense of buying appliances, i need to think about the material, the functionallity, the durability and the cost to make.

Most of the premium designer handbags may only cost about 10%-30% of its price to make one, or even less if it's made in China or Vietnam, but the pride are the same as a top model refrigerator or washer & dryer , even an used car.I could not justify that eventhough I do have that much disposable money.

also I have no interest to buy premium handbags as investment, i buy bags for use (and normally use them to death), never thought about resale.

After trying almost all contemporary designer brands, I was disappointed by the quality mostly by MK, Rebecca Mincoff as well as the old Coach bags before they changed the designer and brought up 1941 collection. Tory Burch retail store bags was the only contemporary designer handbags with fair quality before I moved to coach 1941 collection.

I love coach 1941 bags. the price point vs the material, the durability and the cost to make is reasonable. the leather lining, the stitching, the durable glove tanned leather speak remarkable quality. And I do love well-made stuff.

I've owned 5 1941 bags (3 rogue , 1 dinky, 1 badlands) some are purchased with F&F discount or on sale. I can see myself using these bags in many years to come, I don't see any reason that I need to go for a highend brand except a specific bag can persuade me the price is reasonable, or I really want it so much that I can allow me throw thousands of dollars away. Which I don't see it's going to happen in near future.

Last edited:
1941 has spoiled me. I can no longer buy anything with a non-leather lining in good conscience!!

Céline seems to be the other brand that's captivating me these days, but it's going to be a hell of a long time before I can allow myself to drop the amount of money required for a Classic Box, despite the fact that it's my HG. I did get a Mini Belt a while back, though, and I love it!

I've been waffling on a Gucci Marmont bag for months, but haven't pulled the trigger.

Basically, my interest in most premium bags has wavered since 1941 came into the picture. The quality for the price point can't be beat. My eye still wanders, but it doesn't stray as far anymore.

I spend a good amount of time browsing Macy's Herald Square because I have to be near there for work some days. I honestly do not see a difference in leather quality from the Gucci and Burberry bags that are displayed there and the Coach 1941. And I'm not being biased - I love Burberry and I dislike Gucci, but plain and simple I think 1941 quality is remarkably similar. Regular Coach is similar to other contemporary brand quality nearby like MK, Kate Spade, RL Ralph Lauren.

1941 has spoiled me. I can no longer buy anything with a non-leather lining in good conscience!!

Céline seems to be the other brand that's captivating me these days, but it's going to be a hell of a long time before I can allow myself to drop the amount of money required for a Classic Box, despite the fact that it's my HG. I did get a Mini Belt a while back, though, and I love it!

I've been waffling on a Gucci Marmont bag for months, but haven't pulled the trigger.

Basically, my interest in most premium bags has wavered since 1941 came into the picture. The quality for the price point can't be beat. My eye still wanders, but it doesn't stray as far anymore.

I've been eying Celine too. The Box is so pretty, but it is both pricey and I don't see it ever becoming a daily style for me. My line in the sand is daily use bags I can spend more on, but those special occasion bags should be cheaper. Unless I end up using them all the time on the weekend or something. The Box feels very fancy for my day to day life. (As does the Chanel Flap that I've always admired)

Reactions: americandreaming
It was Coach 1941 that brought me, or rather turned my head to, Coach for the first time ever. I have several now (3 Rogues, 1 Rogue 25, 2 Rogue Satchels, 1 Saddle 23, 1 Whiplash Saddle). I think they are wonderful quality - and not just “for the cost”. Just wonderful quality, period. I have a hard time moving out of them when I start carrying one and some of them are amongst my top favorites in my collection.

I am rather bag satisfied now so don’t intend on adding more, and have other reasons to not buy any more bags, but I expect these to last me a lifetime. I still greatly enjoy my other bags though too: LV, Kate Spade, some one offs of Cole Haan, Vince Camuto.

I definitely recommend people give Coach 1941 a look, even if they have never really looked at Coach before. They really are of elevated quality, look, feel, etc amongst the contemporary lines (including regular Coach)

I agree with just about everything that other folks have already said. I've become such a snob for 1941 that even some of the other Coach New York bags do not do it for me. I'm very fortunate to have several 1941 pieces in my collection and when I pull the trigger on something else, it tends to go back because it's lacking the luxe details.
The price point was kind of hard for me to swallow at first but I have also been fortunate to pick up bags when they go on sale or on eBay or during a recent event like the Simon Malls event that happened this past fall.
The only bag that has ever captured my attention were Fendi bags and I don't think I would ever be able to pay that much for a bag even if I had the money to spare. Even if I did, it's quite possible that it would not meet the meet the needs that I now have come to find myself used to.

Totally understand " I can no longer buy anything with a non-leather lining in good conscience!!" part. I feel disappointed when I look at some premium bags with fabric lining selling for over $2k . Almost all 1941 bags come with leather lining (well, rogue has both leather and fabric lining tho) for much less price tag.

Totally understand " I can no longer buy anything with a non-leather lining in good conscience!!" part. I feel disappointed when I look at some premium bags with fabric lining selling for over $2k . Almost all 1941 bags come with leather lining (well, rogue has both leather and fabric lining tho) for much less price tag.
Yeah, that's one of the things holding me back on the Marmont. Microfiber lining < leather.

I actually want to get rid of my Speedy now.

Some Coach bags are far better with fine details than many of my Chanel and Hermes bags. Hermes barely even does decorations or embellishments and most of my Hermes bags are super plain on the exterior. I don't think Coach has a comparable quality or feel of leather to Chanel and Hermes, but it's top quality leather for its price point, and the brand excels in the details on every bag. The bags are quite lovely as of late and still manage to be user-friendly and have amazing prices. Some of the Coach 1941 and tea rose items would be thousands with other brands.

This has also become a near deal breaker for me! I am a little more flexible on the evening bags - I do not use them very often, so I do not need every luxe detail. But I have looked at quite a few bags and put them back due to non-leather lining!

1941 has spoiled me. I can no longer buy anything with a non-leather lining in good conscience!!...

Yeah, that's one of the things holding me back on the Marmont. Microfiber lining < leather. I actually want to get rid of my Speedy now.

This has also become a near deal breaker for me! I am a little more flexible on the evening bags - I do not use them very often, so I do not need every luxe detail. But I have looked at quite a few bags and put them back due to non-leather lining!

It's not 1941, but I totally love the style and the gorgeous leather lining of the Nomad bags!

They had 3 colors of the large Nomads (cornflower, eggplant, and true red) at my outlet recently for 50% off and I was tempted - but I already have 2 Nomads, and it is an older style - but if they were cheaper I might have caved in and gotten one of them!

I think that the Nomad is an under-appreciated bag that belongs in the same class as the 1941 bags, but happily it isn't in the 1941 group and so that makes it less expensive!

AuroraIL_Dec6_2017_06.jpg

Last edited: