Do you find all black caviar to have a gray sheen in natural light?

StarBrite310

Purse & Jewelry Fanatic!
O.G.
Jun 6, 2007
I own a lot of black caviar and it wasn't until yesterday with my new WOC did I truly notice the gray sheen to it in sunlight, or natural light in general, cloudiness, etc. In artificial or dim light, the bag is super duper dark black and gorgeous, but then in brightness it turns grayish, or dare I say maybe even has a whiteness to it, eek! My medium and jumbo flaps, as well as GST, all black caviar, do the same I guess, but the WOC is definitely the most noticeable IMO. Maybe because it's new and hasn't dulled yet, I dunno? I just hope it doesn't look bad if I wear it during the day time.

I'm not sure if I should search for one that doesn't do this, or if it's truly inevitable with black caviar in general. Maybe certain black caviars are more prone to it being all bags differ a bit, leather wise.

Thoughts?

I find black caviar don't look as black as black lambskin. I kinda understand what u mean. In dimmer lighting my black caviar wallet looks black, but in brighter conditions it's very 'shiny' n less black. My black lambskin jumbo looks really black.

I really do think it depends on luck or the batch it comes from . I have a black jumbo caviar SHW purchased March 2014. It's absolutely beautiful and a true deep black. After reading your post I've taken her out in the sunlight and mine does not have a gray sheen at all. It actually looks even prettier/darker in the sunlight. I LOVE her 😊. When I purchased mine my SA knew that I wanted the caviar to be a deep black and she delivered. Sorry to hear about your bag😞.

Yeah maybe so. My other black caviars get lighter in the sun too, but not as badly as this one. As long as you don't think it looks horrible? I'd like to wear the bag in daylight too and not just at night :P lol

Possibly because the quilts are flatter on the WOC? I think your WOC looks fine the way it is. I've seen some dull less puffy ones :smile:

my caviar bags look more grayish in sunlight. I think your woc is nice but if you're not happy perhaps return. My lambskin bag is definitely blacker and looks nicer than caviar to me.

I think it looks fine :smile: ImageUploadedByPurseForum1405658473.209474.jpg just to reassure u, here's a pic I took of my black caviar wallet. Not in daylight but under my room's white fluorescent light at night. You'll see it's not 'black black'. But in dim lighting it's real black.

I'll say if it really bothers u go back n ask to look at another new piece. My SA showed me another new piece and it's d same - very light reflective such that it looks whitish or grayish under white lighting.

I think it looks fine :smile: View attachment 2690083 just to reassure u, here's a pic I took of my black caviar wallet. Not in daylight but under my room's white fluorescent light at night. You'll see it's not 'black black'. But in dim lighting it's real black.

I'll say if it really bothers u go back n ask to look at another new piece. My SA showed me another new piece and it's d same - very light reflective such that it looks whitish or grayish under white lighting.

Thank you so much for doing that. Makes me feel better. I would love to have many to choose from in person, but unfortunately this bag wasn't an easy find. I'm sure I'm just being super picky.

In dim lighting it's sooo nice and I guess I was mainly planning to use this bag for evenings anyway haha.

This is exactly the season why I'm selling my caviar flap and I've replaced it with a lamb flap. I hated the color in the sun, I don't like grey. For me it's now lamb all the way.

I've placed some pictures to compare lamb and caviar in sun and shade in another topic

Thank you so much for doing that. Makes me feel better. I would love to have many to choose from in person, but unfortunately this bag wasn't an easy find. I'm sure I'm just being super picky.

In dim lighting it's sooo nice and I guess I was mainly planning to use this bag for evenings anyway haha.

Mine is exaclty the same. I recently bought a quilted woc with shw. And yes it too also looks greyish in the light. Its definitely lighter than my other black caviar flaps. But honestly it doesnt bother me. I actually had a quilted woc with ghw that was really dark and the caviar was lovely. But i hated the ghw so sold it and bought this one. Its such a hard find in the UK and its not like im going to be walking around with all my black caviar bags together so i dont thinkpeople will notice that its a little lighter. I love the black/shw combo. Go enjoy your bag xx