do you feel that the disparity in quality is not noticeable?

ladysarah

O.G.
Jul 17, 2008
Does the quality of your coat match the quality of your Hermes bag?

To all the Hermes bags owners who carry their bags regularly I have a question: Do you wear a coat or jacket that is similarly priced? (Idont mean exclusively Hermes RTW but similar quality.) This may sound weird but when I carry a Kelly I like to wear ‘good’ coats. In the summer I have lighter coats/jackets but they are still relatively high quality, tailored pieces.
Funnily enough this doesn’t extend to my shoes - I wear trainers a lot and they are usually around £100 or even less. I feel the same with inexpensive jeans. For example I feel that second hand jeans especially Levi’s look great with Hermes. This is because I feel you can get great jeans and trainers without spending much, but you cannot get good tailored clothes/good fabrics, without the price tag.
When it comes to coats and tailoring I do feel it needs to be roughly in the same league as the hermes bag. (No zara coats or fast fashion for me it just doesn’t look right-:eek:Ii t does not 'elevate' the outfit in my eyes and I can pretty much always tell the difference believe me.)
So the question is: would you spend as much (or near enough) on the coat as for thé bag? Or do you feel that the disparity in quality is not noticeable?

disclaimer: yes I do get my jeans tailored/adjusted;) Sometimes that costs more than the jeans, but I keep them for a long time.

I'm a believer in spending on coats (and jackets), at least if one lives in a place with spring/fall/winter temperatures. I think it finishes a look, and it's probably where I've sunk the most RTW/MTM money. But I'm just as happy wearing a Kelly with my 60€ Zara "sheep" coat or a $200 Aritzia puffer as with my 9000€ Loro Piana cashmere coat.
I have never really thought about it, but think maybe it's a question of being OK with a high/low mix as far as coats are concerned. I think I probably instinctively wear "good" shoes as well as a "good" bag if I am wearing a less expensive coat. It's 80 degrees where I am rn so to be honest it's hard to imagine!

Personally think that coats make a statement in my wardrobe. If the coat is giving me the overall look
that I am wanting to achieve with quality, fabrication, styling & warmth yes I have & will spend the money
that is similarly priced as a bag.
I love my Max Mara Teddy coats because of the warmth, I have found that H cashmere coats do not
wear well (personally don't like the pilling) but I do like the details & have several vintage coats that
are warmer than many coats being made today & in many ways were more luxurious because they
had sumptuous linings..
Down jackets/coat offer the most warmth.
Anyone can elevate their look if they have their own individual sense of styling & can rock their look
just as easily with an expensive bag or an inexpensive bag.. it's a mindset, JMO

Personally , I believe investing in clothing is always worth it. A better quality coat will drape better, be softer and have nicer fine details. Same goes for shoes, RTW seems fine till you order your first pair on a custom last then you can never go back. Jeans with a cashmere, silk or linen blend depending on the season will also run circles around normal jeans when it comes to comfort and touch.

Personally, if you don’t notice a difference then you might be blessed in a way. Because once you do, it becomes one heck of a slippery slope.

Last edited:
Hmm, I love coats, blazers, and jackets but I am a firm believer in 1) tailoring and 2) material. However, tailoring, fit, and cut takes priority over all.
I have many high-end designer and high-street blazers that I wear interchangeably with my bags.

While I do not have any hermes bags, I do carry, my Chanel CF, my Moynat bags, and other luxury bags with any of my clothes.
In person, I often get complimented on a lot of my high-street blazers and jackets and many are surprised when I tell them I'm wearing Zara or something not desinger.

On the OOTD thread, I post quite a few of my Zara, Reiss, and Massimo Dutti blazers and I firmly believe that it is the cut and fit that really sells the look.

2 work ootds

One for the day job and other for the work dinner event later that evening

View attachment 6005875View attachment 6005876
The most plain outfit imaginable. (But it was cold and rainy and I was lazy lol)

View attachment 5975526View attachment 5975527

Of course, upon closer inspection, the lack in quality of materials don't lie. But, if I like it enough, I am happy to invest in a higher-end or luxury piece of outwear of similar design/look to add to my wardrobe. :biggrin:

I absolutely love my SL, Burberry, and Balmain pieces. The construction, material, and stitching make a ton of difference and there is no better feeling than wearing something that makes you feel stunning!:heart:
The RTW are just forever pieces and the high street will end up in the bin or donated eventually from wear and tear, but I love wearing all of them with my luxury bags regardless.

Personally , I believe investing in clothing is always worth it. A better quality coat will drape better, be softer and having nicer fine details. Same goes for shoes, RTW seems fine till you order your first pair on a custom last then you can never go back. Jeans with a cashmere, silk or linen blend depending on the season will also run circles around normal jeans when it comes to comfort and touch.

Personally, if you don’t notice a difference then you might be blessed in a way. Because once you do, it becomes one heck of a slippery slope.
Agree! 💯

RTW is dangerous! :lol:

One can be wearing a bespoke piece of RTW as well as a handbag & look like a million bucks
just as easily as one wearing street clothes as they are commonly referred to & give off
a vibe of looking like a million bucks as well
It's all about attitude & confidence & if one doesn't exude that, it doesn't matter how much your clothing costs
Mixing high & low seems to me what it has been about for a long time

Last edited:
One can be wearing a bespoke piece of RTW as well as a handbag & look like a million bucks
just as easily as one wearing street clothes as they are commonly referred to & give off
a vibe of being just as costly.
It's all about attitude & confidence.
This. I usually wear street clothes with my H bags, I prefer it rather than wearing thousands of $$$$ in clothes, it's overkill IMO. I like to wear mostly jeans (Levi's 501) with a nice cashmere jersey in winter and mostly a white T-shirt in summer and nice shoes. I wear sneakers aswell but I like good quality shoes so I'd rather spend on accessories than clothes themselves. The simpler the better, true chic! I like to wear a nice coat in winter but it doesn't have to be super expensive, and most of my coats are all the same style: men's single breasted or double breasted ( for women of course!)in different fabrics like tweeds, camel hair, or solid coloured wools. I'm convinced one can look like a million bucks wearing a few hundred $$ clothes ,an H bag and good quality shoes.

Confidence and attitude indeed!

a vibe of looking like a million bucks as well
It's all about attitude & confidence & if one doesn't exude that, it doesn't matter how much your clothing costs
💯 You've said it for me.

I have a Burberry cashmere coat and a Burberry wool coat (I know Burberry is not as expensive as some other brands) both of them lasted maybe 2 seasons until both started to look bad. I drive car a lot. So I guess sitting in the coat and getting in and out of car was causing a lot of peeling and wrinkling. Same happened to Burberry cashmere jacket. So honestly I don’t know what to do because I like coats for winter, but I don’t want to spend such money on clothes that last 2 seasons. I do think that good tailored blazer totally elevates almost any outfit though. Also I noticed I receive often compliments on my H&M summer dresses when I wear them with expensive jacket, shoes, purse, and jewelry. For some reason people always give compliment to the h&m dress but not a blazer 😆

• Insightful
Reactions: ladysarah
I have a Burberry cashmere coat and a Burberry wool coat (I know Burberry is not as expensive as some other brands) both of them lasted maybe 2 seasons until both started to look bad. I drive car a lot. So I guess sitting in the coat and getting in and out of car was causing a lot of peeling and wrinkling. Same happened to Burberry cashmere jacket. So honestly I don’t know what to do because I like coats for winter, but I don’t want to spend such money on clothes that last 2 seasons. I do think that good tailored blazer totally elevates almost any outfit though. Also I noticed I receive often compliments on my H&M summer dresses when I wear them with expensive jacket, shoes, purse, and jewelry. For some reason people always give compliment to the h&m dress but not a blazer 😆
Did you shave them/brush them? Wool and cashmere items can have their looks improved by leaps and bounds with some tlc via a cashmere brush / fabric shaver. 2 seasons seems like an unreasonably short amount of time for a coat to last.

Did you shave them/brush them? Wool and cashmere items can have their looks improved by leaps and bounds with some tlc via a cashmere brush / fabric shaver. 2 seasons seems like an unreasonably short amount of time for a coat to last.
Thank you I’ll try it. It’s not like coats are unwearable, just doesn’t look good to me. I assume because those parts are rubbing against car seat.

Reactions: ladysarah
I happily mix high with low for many wardrobe categories, but always invest in good shoes and good coats. When my friends and I were at uni with limited funds, we always adhered to the principle of “good shoes and good bags” (although that certainly didn’t extend to Hermès in those days!). I think a cheaply made coat shows its flaws more than, say, a well-chosen high street dress.

Last edited:
I put together an outfit with very little regard to who made the clothing or the shoes and/or how much they cost. I usually start with the bag I want to carry or the shoes I want to wear or maybe the scarf that I'll tie and go from there. If it works, I feel confident and that shows regardless of how much money I'm 'wearing'
I'll add that I have very few designer RTW items (a handful of H sweaters & coats and a few Prada coats) so I don't often wear designer stuff.